IGNORED

Shot Log

MMouse
Note: This thread is 5343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone use or know where I can find a good pocket shot log? I'd like to start taking better notes of my rounds.
I had come across one long ago, but can't remember where I found it.

Basically I'd like to track each shot on each hole, what club was used, how that shot performed, how many putts etc.

If no one knows of one I'll make one in excel, but it's a beautiful Staurday here and I thought I'd stay off the computer for as long as I could :)

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

• Administrator
Basically I'd like to track each shot on each hole, what club was used, how that shot performed, how many putts etc.

The guys behind you would prefer that you didn't. Or at least that you not go overboard. I write down five things, and all on the next tee, and none "what club was used" because that's, for the most part, irrelevant.

Beyond a few simple things (the things we track in Scorecard, give or take), almost nothing else matters. Either you hit your long and mid-irons like crap or you don't. Nobody hits their 5I well, their 6I like crap, and their 7I really well. Not consistently.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I jot down on my paper scorecard some things very quickly in a kind of 'shorthand' at each hole:

On the top line I write my score with a small subscript for # of putts.
The 2nd line is my GIR line and I put a check mark if I hit the green, or ML or MR or MS if I missed.
The 3rd line is my Putts line: I note the approx. length of each putt and if missed, for example: 10L or 12S or 5 with a check mark when I make it.
The fourth line is my Fairways line: a check if in the fairway, or ML, MR, etc.
On lines below that, I note my shot result in a shorthand such as 8I, +D, -3W, etc. The + was a good shot, the minus a bad shot, and no mark is an average shot.

All this takes just a few seconds. By the way I always ride in a cart so the card and pencil are on the steering wheel. When I am done I have a nice picture of the round.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

Thats basically all I'll be doing. I usually walk, so I don't often keep the scorecard with me, it goes with another pair on the cart.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

I never used to keep track of everything until I got on this site. Now I just keep track of Fairways hit, GIR and putts. And obviously my score .

Might start of keeping track of where I missed my drives and approaches next time.

The guys behind you would prefer that you didn't. Or at least that you not go overboard. I write down five things, and all on the next tee, and none "what club was used" because that's, for the most part, irrelevant.

For someone still getting a handle on what clubs will cover what yardages, which club was used is actually a handy little stat.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood

• Administrator
For someone still getting a handle on what clubs will cover what yardages, which club was used is actually a handy little stat.

Is it too hard to just remember how your shots tend to wind up as you go along? Assume your 7I goes 130 meters and space the others out every 10 meters. Play like that and see how your typical shots go - a little short, a little long, etc. Adjust slightly and keep doing so until you get the right spacing.

Plus, my stock 7-iron goes 167 yards. You know the last time I had a 167-yard shot (or one that was playing as such)? Cuz I don't. I've hit PW from 150 and from 100. I've seen Tiger hit an 8I from over 180 and from 135. The point I'm trying to make in this second paragraph is that, though knowing your "stock yardages" is helpful, they don't even make up a majority of the decision when faced with a shot.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Playing at the experience and handicap I am currently at, each round is a new experience for me. I am getting improved yardages, learning new things etc etc.

Not to be rude but why feel the need to highjack the thread to proclaim your opinion that this doesn't need to be done? The thread was directed to anyone who was using one, and some people do.

If you don't feel it is of merit then don't do it and proceed with your game. Meanwhile I'll proceed to use many different avenues, tools and resources as I gain more experience, build a better swing and improve my game step by step.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood

• Administrator
Not to be rude but why feel the need to highjack the thread to proclaim your opinion that this doesn't need to be done? The thread was directed to anyone who was using one, and some people do.

Saying "you don't (or shouldn't) need one" is on topic. Your thread wasn't hijacked.

And I know it's just my experience, but I've never known anyone to use a shot log.

Meanwhile I'll proceed to use many different avenues, tools and resources as I gain more experience, build a better swing and improve my game step by step.

A "shot log" ain't gonna help you do that. You got a brain in that skull of yours? Use it.

If necessary write a little note on your scorecard and be done with it. But there's no way anybody's gonna want to play behind someone who writes down all the necessary information for each shot: * wind direction * wind strength * where the pin is on the green * what the slopes on the green are * where the trouble is around the green * what your angle of attack is to the pin * what your carry yardages are * how firm the greens are * how you're feeling at the moment * how you're hitting the ball so far that day * your lie, which includes several finer points including the direction the grass is lying, how dry the grass is, how long it is, what kind of grass it is, etc. * etc. etc. etc. Just get to your darn ball and give it a whack. As you play you'll figure out your yardages. Taking copious notes? You're not doing a dissertation. Just play golf.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Or if that doesn't strike you're fancy, then print out a few of these.

Thanks! This is the one I had seen before but couldn't remember where it was.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood

Note: This thread is 5343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!