IGNORED

Wide vs. Narrow Stance

EHSGolf1
Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been told that my feet are wider than my shoulders. So I was wondering what happens when feet get too wide. What would change if I narrowed my stance to shoulder width? Just would like to know the pros and cons of a wide vs narrow vs shoulder width. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Irons(4-PW)- R9 TP w/ KBS Tour
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

Wider stance gives you more stable shots especially for longer irons and drivers.

Narrow stance gives you faster hip movement, thus giving you distance.

For example exaggerate your stance, put your stance as far as you can. That restricts your body movement, thus you can only use arm strength. Now imagine putting your feet together, you have more coil and turning speed.

Each club has an ideal stance.
In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

what he said is true. I think its different for every person but for me my irons im usually around shoulder width with my stance. Wedges being a little closer especially on chips. My driver and woods i try and go a little further than shoulder to be more accurate.

Driver r7 Superquad 9.5 degrees
3Wood 904F 15 degrees
Hybrid 585H 19 degrees
Irons R540xd 4-PW
wedges 52,56,60 degreesPutter iseries 1/2 CrazEBalls Prov1x

That contradicts with what Tiger wrote in his book. He said that when he wanted a bit of extra distance with his driver, he took a slightly wider stance than normal, which is shoulder width.

I keep a wide stance for the longer clubs, slightly more narrow with the short irons and even closer for a chip or pitch.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have always thought my stance was shoulder width wide but I guess I was wrong. Will there be a difference in ball striking if I have my stance shoulder width instead of a wide stance?
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

That contradicts with what Tiger wrote in his book. He said that when he wanted a bit of extra distance with his driver, he took a slightly wider stance than normal, which is shoulder width.

Like i said, each club has an ideal stance. Driver would be wider stance because its a longer club. Wider stance would give more stability, thus better contact.
In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

I like keeping a narrow stance with my iron shots. I think it keeps me from swaying too much during the swing, therefore allowing more consistent contact.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

If I don't pay attention, I will start swaying and then everything goes bad. Thats one thing I really have to pay attention to.
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*

The only reason Tiger said that is because with a wider stance he could go after it harder because a wider stance promotes a stronger base. If he went after it as hard with a more narrow stance he would lose accuracy and balance.

Been having a problem hitting the ball fat the last couple of weeks and finally figured out I was swaying due to too wide of a stance.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

When I am striking the ball inconsistently with my irons I check my stance width. Usually it has gotten too wide trying to belt the ball into next week. As the clubs get longer the stance widens but even with the driver it's only maybe 2 foot widths past shoulder-width for me...if that makes any sense.

NOt mentioned. One reason to widen your stance is if you want to add height to a shot (to go over a tree or some other obsticle) drop your back foot back a few inches (if your a righty to the right). That will promote a higher trajectory.

Everything else mentioned is good advise

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

Widen the stance to reduce the amount of hip turn. If you are pull hooking it, widening the stance can be a quick fix.
Driver: Adams 9032LS 9.5* - 45" - Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
3 Wood: Adams FAST 10 15* - 43" - Aldila Wasabi 70S
2-Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* - DGS300 
Irons: Mizuno MP-68 3-PW - DGS300
Wedges: Mizuno MPT-11 54* and 60*Putter: PING Redwood Anser Black Nickel 340g, 34"Ball: Titleist ProV1Bag: Mizuno...

I change the width of my stance depending on what club I'm hitting and how far I want it to go. Say I am hitting a 5 iron 200 yrds, my stance will be normal, or slightly wider. If I'm hitting a punch shot with the same club that I want to go 160-170, I will choke down on the club and narrow my stance. I control both trajectory and distance with a number of things... stance, swing length (full swing, or 3/4 swing), how much I choke down on the club, and ball placement. They all work together to control the shot I want to hit.

Wider is always more stable.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Widen the stance to reduce the amount of hip turn. If you are pull hooking it, widening the stance can be a quick fix.

If the hips are moving too fast or are out in front that should cause a push/block, not a pull.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the hips are moving too fast or are out in front that should cause a push/block, not a pull.

It's not that the hips and shoulders are out of sync, it's that everything is in sync, but turning too quick - thus delivering a closed clubface.

Try widening your stance to the point where you can fit two range buckets between them. It's almost impossible to pull a ball that way without coming over the top. EDIT: The OP is talking about widening his stance to promote a more U Shaped swing (rather than a V-shape) in order to hit less fat shots. Instead of widening the stance, I'd recommend practicing ball-first contact with a descending blow in your standard stance. I don't think changing the stance is the best way to get "less fat shots".
Driver: Adams 9032LS 9.5* - 45" - Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
3 Wood: Adams FAST 10 15* - 43" - Aldila Wasabi 70S
2-Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* - DGS300 
Irons: Mizuno MP-68 3-PW - DGS300
Wedges: Mizuno MPT-11 54* and 60*Putter: PING Redwood Anser Black Nickel 340g, 34"Ball: Titleist ProV1Bag: Mizuno...

a wider stance will shallow out the swing plane.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I read something last night that said that if upon swing completion(where you are finished and facing the target, your right knee is ahead of your left knee, then your stance is too narrow. On the other hand if you finish with your right knee behind your left knee then you're wide. (shrug).

I'm finding that a wider stance makes it much more difficult to make the weight transfers required without a lot of lateral shifting. Might be more stable for certain situations, but I think standing too wide can cause problems too. Find the happy medium where you feel stable AND are able to promote all the healthy aspects of a golf swing without having to sway too much.

Titliest AP2 712 irons 9-5, Rescue R9 (3,4, sometimes 5), R9 460 driver, R9 3W

Vokey Wedges 48,52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1

Taylor Made Penta balls

Callaway rangefinder

Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!