IGNORED

Wide vs. Narrow Stance

EHSGolf1
Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Stance width

First of all, note that Leadbetter flares both feet open. Many golf instructors recommend a 10-30 degree flaring-out of both feet, because it allows the hips to rotate more easily during the swing. Flaring the foot open allows the knee to move more easily in response to rotatory movements, so that the knee can re-position itself above the foot. This is especially relevant with respect to the left foot during the downwsing, when the body weight is driven powerfully across to the left side by an initiating lower body shift-rotation. Flaring the left foot open allows the left knee to first move laterally and then straighten, thus supporting the body weight directly over the left foot as the lower body pivots around an axis centered in the region of the left armpit.

Regarding the driver, Leadbetter recommends that the inner distance between the feet should be equal to the shoulder width.

Regarding mid-irons, Leadbetter recommends that the outer distance between the feet should roughly be equal to shoulder width.

Regarding short irons, Leadbetter recommends that the outer distance between the feet be less than shoulder width, but not significantly less than hip width.

Some golfers, who lack flexibility, may personally find Leadbetter's driver stance width recommendation to be too wide, because i) it prevents their hips from rotating fully during the downswing, and because ii) it therefore prevents easy/complete weight transfer to the left side during the downswing and followthrough.

Another method of finding the correct stance width, that takes body flexibility into account, comes from the book "Total Golf" [5].

Stance width variations - from reference number [5]

The "Total Golf" authors recommend adopting a stance width, and then turning the body 90 degrees so that the chest and hips fully face the target. The correct stance width is the stance width that allows the knees to get together and be in-line and the hips to fully rotate 90 degrees (number 2 in the above sequence of three stance width positions). Stance width variation number 1 is too narrow and allows the hips to over-rotate, while stance width variation number 3 is too wide, preventing complete hip rotation.

I think that each individual golfer should experiment with these two stance width approaches to find the best balance between rock-solid stability and easy hip flow. A stance width that favors stability over easy hip flow may be preferable when using a driver, while the opposite bias may be preferable when using a long/mid iron. Most PGA tour players prefer to keep their lower body quiet when using a short iron, and they try to avoid excessive lower body movement during their short iron swings.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• Administrator
Originally Posted by cutshot878

Stance width variations - from reference number [5]

This thread is pretty old and you didn't add any of your own information... Also, fwiw, I'm not a fan of "touching" knees at the end of the swing, and I'd prefer to see a stance that's too narrow over one that's too wide because the too narrow guy still has more refined control of low point and can slide his hips forward more easily than the guy who is too wide.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

I realize this thread is old, but thought it would be better to post here than to start a new post with the same topic?

I have been having problems hooking my longer clubs(driver, 3w, 4i, 5i).  Not every time, but maybe 1-4.  I've been trying to figure out what can cause this.  When I hook my driver off the tee, it feels like I am hanging back a bit, and my hands flip at it.  I was wondering if this could be caused by getting my stance to wide?

A little more info.  My other miss off the tee is a push,  and once in a very great while I will hit the dreaded push slice.  When I hit the push slice, it feels like I hang back, but dont flip my hands.  When I hit the straight push, it actually feels pretty good, and I cant figure out what I do wrong.  Probably come a little bit to much from the inside.  Again would narrowing my stance help this?  Thanks for any and all replys.

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

• Administrator
Originally Posted by buckshot4227

I have been having problems hooking my longer clubs(driver, 3w, 4i, 5i).  Not every time, but maybe 1-4.  I've been trying to figure out what can cause this.  When I hook my driver off the tee, it feels like I am hanging back a bit, and my hands flip at it.  I was wondering if this could be caused by getting my stance to wide?

It could be, yes. Where's your weight at impact, and where is the ball starting?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My ball always starts to the right(im right handed).  I think I need to get my swing path a bit steeper.  Would narrowing my stance do this?  As far as my weight at impact.... I dont really know I guess.  All I can tell you is when I get to my finish, after a hooked shot,  it feels like I am stuck on my back foot, and I didnt turn my body through the shot.  If that makes any sense.  Thanks again.

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Reminds me of an old golfing joke.

One of our lady members went out playing in a short skirt.

Within the hour, she was in the pro shop complaining, "I've been stung by a bee on me fanny, it's ever so sore and I can't close my legs together".

She then asked the pro what she should do.  The pro responded with, "try widening your stance"!

Ha Ha!

Originally Posted by iacas

This thread is pretty old and you didn't add any of your own information... Also, fwiw, I'm not a fan of "touching" knees at the end of the swing, and I'd prefer to see a stance that's too narrow over one that's too wide because the too narrow guy still has more refined control of low point and can slide his hips forward more easily than the guy who is too wide.

Isn't it a basic fundamental that the wider the stance, the more your hips and legs will move laterally? The more narrow the stance, the easier it is to rotate and the harder it is to slide? Here is something that seems to make sense:

Correct width stance = rotate, too wide or too narrow = sway.

If the stance is too wide, the hip rotation will be restricted.  If the stance is too narrow, you will tend to have a more unstable base, that could also allow a sway.

If the stance is the correct width, leverage is established on the inside of the rear leg will help prevent sway in the backswing. And, the correct width will more easily allow a braced downswing, with the lead leg able to readily accept the weight shift that occurs during the downswing.

You are the administrator, iacas, and I submit to your ultimate authority for all matters pertaining to golf and its mysteries.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by cutshot878

Isn't it a basic fundamental that the wider the stance, the more your hips and legs will move laterally? The more narrow the stance, the easier it is to rotate and the harder it is to slide? Here is something that seems to make sense:

Correct width stance = rotate, too wide or too narrow = sway.

If the stance is too wide, the hip rotation will be restricted.  If the stance is too narrow, you will tend to have a more unstable base, that could also allow a sway.

If the stance is the correct width, leverage is established on the inside of the rear leg will help prevent sway in the backswing. And, the correct width will more easily allow a braced downswing, with the lead leg able to readily accept the weight shift that occurs during the downswing.

You are the administrator, iacas, and I submit to your ultimate authority for all matters pertaining to golf and its mysteries.

I'd rather see someone err on slightly too narrow side than too wide.  Yes it's easier to turn when the heels are closer together, mistake would tend to be reverse hip slide, too much Zach Johnson.  Too wide, can't rotate so the hips slide back, too much Monty.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I realize this thread is old, but thought it would be better to post here than to start a new post with the same topic?  I have been having problems hooking my longer clubs(driver, 3w, 4i, 5i).  Not every time, but maybe 1-4.  I've been trying to figure out what can cause this.  When I hook my driver off the tee, it feels like I am hanging back a bit, and my hands flip at it.  I was wondering if this could be caused by getting my stance to wide?  A little more info.  My other miss off the tee is a push,  and once in a very great while I will hit the dreaded push slice.  When I hit the push slice, it feels like I hang back, but dont flip my hands.  When I hit the straight push, it actually feels pretty good, and I cant figure out what I do wrong.  Probably come a little bit to much from the inside.  Again would narrowing my stance help this?  Thanks for any and all replys.

Johnny Miller in the Players Championship Saturday said a cupped left wrist early in the hitting zone can promote a hook. I fight the draws so I play them. I almost want to hit fades instead of draws. You are supposed to do that on the range...hit fades if you fight a hook then try straight...feel the difference...easier said then done I know One instructor told me instead of swinging around finish more upright..this for me might work but I can't have that type swing thought and play. I am a free wheeler..less is more..I get quick at the top which ruins tempo...one of the biggest things going if you can keep your tempo going...especially true for short game shots

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mvmac

I'd rather see someone err on slightly too narrow side than too wide.  Yes it's easier to turn when the heels are closer together, mistake would tend to be reverse hip slide, too much Zach Johnson.  Too wide, can't rotate so the hips slide back, too much Monty.

To add to that, too wide and the hips can't slide forward very far either because the rear foot being on the ground limits how far the knee can extend and the hips can slide.

Narrower stances can slide more than wider stances.

Agree. With a really wide stance you need a very aggressive weight shift to hit the ball properly. I can do it, but if I get lazy or forgetful I hang back which for me usually means a low hook. Narrowing my stance a bit has improved my FWYs hit withhout much sacrifice of distance.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

On the 'Long Drive' thread i watched Jason Zuback using a very wide stance and moving his body all over the tee box, even to the point of nearly taking his left foot off the turf during the backswing.  So he  had lots of body weight to transfer forward.  But for me i am uncertain whether i should keep the hips as quiet as possible and increase the 'X' factor with a shoulder turn or should i move my weight to the right and then drive it forward.  I am seeking more club head speed.  I am not saying Jason is the best model for me but he does show mammoth weight movement and probably, oops, make that certainly,  drives longer than mine.

Using Jason as a model is definitely not something I would recommend. There is a reason why so few people are able to hit it that far. Not to mention the fact that he sprays the ball left and right between the somewhat straight shots. If you are looking for driver specific advice, I would recommend this thread: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern]Hitting Up or Down with the Driver in an Inline Pattern[/URL]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I like to hit balls with my feet together.  I can hit a driver pretty far, even though I have to swing with a lot more "finesse" to keep my balance.  I find it a good drill for me and often use it as the beginning of a warm-up pre-round.  From there, I widen the stance until it's appropriate.

I'd definitely prefer to be too narrow than too wide (that's what she said).

• 1 month later...
Im 6'2" about 220....a wide stance for me is the best...when i get narrow its much easier for me to get on the outside of my right foot(rt handed player) rather than just simply turn......also i recently had a problem hitting hosel rockets..OG...found out i had narrowed my stance(a whole lot)...got back wide(around 5 or 6 inches passed shoulder width)...was good again and havent been back to that bad place...lol...anyway..IMHO...i think anytime you can solidify your base its all good....after all a triangle cant teeter on its base but put it on one of its points and it will....one of the best "ball strikers" of all time ..Moe Norman.... was as wide as it gets and at 74 years old was still cranking em out around 275....personally witnessed him many times on the range doing just that....RM

I don't know what's right and what's wrong, but when I used to have a wider stance, I sometimes had trouble shifting my weight forward. So by narrowing my stance, I actually ended up with better consistency of ball contact.

Edit: And I just now saw how old this post is. Silly me.

• 9 months later...
Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!