IGNORED

Swing Flaw-Revealing Injuries

Travtex
Note: This thread is 5333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I pulled a Lat last week. Nothing major, structurally, but it hurts like a (censoreding censored) when I cough, laugh, sneeze, and of course swing a golf club.

But wait... it hurts when I HIT AT a golf ball. NOT when I Swing a Club. I started off noticing that my practice swings didn't hurt. All hips and shoulders, just dropping into a slot from my backswing and whipping the club through with a WHOOSH!

Then I'd step up to the ball, try to do the same thing, and Horrible Pain.

Obviously, just hitting the ball wasn't making such a dramatic difference in swing resistance that I'd suddenly have muscular pain. I feel like something important was revealed to me about the golf swing and muscular tension... but I've yet to figure out what to do with it.

I'd even try taking a BUNCH of loosen up practice swings... no pain, no pain, no pain, step up that last bit and try to do the same thing with the ball there... TWINGE, Ow! Curse, swear.

At first I thought it was hitting the ground making the difference, but I started going ahead and clipping the turf with my practice swings. No pain. Golf ball. Pain.

I'm tensing something up, and something in my brain doesn't seem willing to let that something go. Even my pro agreed it sounded like a pretty solid, if unconventional, training aid for establishing loose muscles in the swing.

(But I can't seem to discover the 'off' switch to the muscle(s) that make the difference between loose pain-free fast swing and painful golf ball hit.)

A bit weird, I know, but does this make some sort of sense?

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

What I would do is find someone on the tour with the same body as you.. if your tall and trimmed maybe ogilvy .. if your heavy and average maybe daly ... find what they do and mimic it... people have different bodies that need to accomodate more with a shoulder turn or what not

What I would do is find someone on the tour with the same body as you.. if your tall and trimmed maybe ogilvy .. if your heavy and average maybe daly ... find what they do and mimic it... people have different bodies that need to accomodate more with a shoulder turn or what not

I'm hunting. 5'9"/165lb isn't hard to find on tour, but I have a 75" wingspan. Gangly arm syndrome. Ogilvy is a good catch, I'd been eyeballing his swing. I think Elkington was suggested, as well.

I got a short video swing lesson from my practice facility pro, today, and it's no wonder whatsoever that I jacked my shoulder. Most of my swing looked surprisingly solid... some minor issues: Too close to the ball, overswing causing slight elbow breakdown, slight elbow bend at impact caused by trying to clear my hips because I'm too close to the ball, some hip slide coupled with ball too far back in the stance making me chop it... And the release... Rather, the lack of one. Chicken wing city that I somehow transitioned into a good finish (Meaning my shoulder is doing some bizarre contortions to shift back into place).

I pulled a Lat last week. Nothing major, structurally, but it hurts like a (censoreding censored) when I cough, laugh, sneeze, and of course swing a golf club.

Try and move your mental focus to some other part of your swing. Your legs, hips, pulling with the left rib cage, releasing the clubhead etc. Might help you retain relaxation you have in your practice swing.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Most likely, you are "swing" the club when you practice, but "hitting" with the club when you are over the ball. I see this a lot with the people I play with. They have a nice rhythm during a practice swing, but over the ball they are stiff as a board and lunges at the ball.

Since you have already developed muscle memory, it will take a lot of practice to swing the club with the ball rather than hitting the ball.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had my best ballstriking day ever when I was trying to hit all my shots as soft as possible. Still make a full turn, but then just let the coil release. I was actually hitting the ball farther and dead straight. I'm trying to get back to doing that.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I'm definitely on the disabled list for a while... Minor lat/shoulder pain has morphed into something quite gawdawful. Upper back/shoulder/chest pain. Feels like someone hammered a spike into my back straight through my chest. Minor pressure on the chest can make me gasp... coughing, sneezing, or laughing are totally out of the question.

Actually, I sneezed last night and my back popped. Pain subsided for a while, but was back with friends after a night of sleep.

Anyone have this before? (I'm not sure if it's from golf. I got rear-ended a few days ago, too, but didn't feel any sort of pain from that at the time.)

Note: This thread is 5333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!