IGNORED

Its always something at the range isn't it??...

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 5335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im getting sick and tired of going to the range, hacking a bucket and going home...

First 15 or 20 balls were nice solid hits, after that, fat, fat, thin, fat, thin,

Every iron from 7 on up to 3 went the exact same distance!!!! Anyone have any ideas??

Couldnt hit my driver to save my life, and couldnt hit my 3 wood to save my life...

I just don't get it, I go to the course, shoot between an 85-92..

Go to the range and it sure looks and feels like I cant break 110....

Just had to get that out, any suggestions would be really awesome right about now as Im thinking of selling all my shit and not playing anymore

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Yea I guess I should slow it down, I usually practice quite slowly but I was so quietly infuriated that I was just firing away, praying the balls would end sooner than later...

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

I sometimes run into the problem that you describe.

You may already do it, but if you pretend like you're playing a hole at the range, that may help a touch. For example, after you've warmed up, etc., say, this is a 520 yard par 5. Tee a ball up, aim at one of the flags or targets down the range, and hit driver. Then pretend like you have a 200 yard approach shot, and hit toward the same or different target with a different club. Then pretend like you've got a different third shot. Etc.

To me it sometimes helps because it "simulates" playing a hole versus mindlessly hitting 10 balls with your 7i, then 10 with your 6i, etc.

Just a thought.

I know it costs more and takes more time, but another option, is play on courses more often since you seem to shoot better there. In the end, you'll learn more from playing 9 or 18 than you will hitting 100 balls at the range anyway.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

I'd guess what happened was you realised you were ripping it and subconsciously started going at it more, which is fatal to good rhythm.

Try and pick a specific target to aim at. Know what your practice is aiming to achieve, be it rhythm, consistency, a certain shot type, a swing move, whatever and focus on that.

It is very easy, having hit a few good shots, to tense up and try and hit the ball.

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

Practice with a purpose! Don't go to hit balls, it'll only ingrain any errors your swing currently has. Take lessons, read books or do whatever so you have something to work on. I've read a lot about the swing and seen both mine and others swings hundreds of times. I've spotted a lot of things I am doing wrong. So, each time at the range I have a specific detail I work on. It can be backswing length, angle of attack, wrist action, release, hips, feet, alignment, head movement, shoulders etc.

In the Tiger documentaries he said that you get better every time you play golf. I believe you do, but it's a very slow process. You don't drop a shot every time you are at the range, but you always get a little better, even if it's just a small detail. If you practice with a purpose, the amount you progress will be bigger. Making a change will also take thousands of balls to ingrain completely. Doing something different when hitting 50 balls some day won't let your muscles learn anything. Perhaps for a couple of hours, but after that, it's gone. If you work on something every time, you will get better. It also makes it easier to review your session. If you are working on one part of the swing, but have another flaw which cause a hook, you can't expect to fix the hook by working on that part. I can hit lots of bad shots, but still be satisfied because I was able to get right the part of the swing I was working on that day.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Think I figured it out.... I think my head goes in front of the ball at impact causing all kinds of crazy things, my head is supposed to be behind the ball at impact right?

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

It depends on where your head is when you start. I don't have my head completely behind the ball with my wedges, but I don't move it forward when I swing with them.

As for the range thing, if it's all going wrong, what I do is work on wedges and getting alignment right, solid contact and a good tempo, taking a divot, releasing, etc. Sometimes, even a good 1/2 hour of chipping, followed by some 40 or 50 yard pitches (half swings). I may not even hit a seven iron until after doing the same routine the next time out, seems to settle things down for me. I know if I'm going out to play and have no time to really hit balls, I'll chip and pitch a bit. Works wonders.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Take your time and make it feel like your on a course. Find a target and shoot for it.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Yea I guess I should slow it down, I usually practice quite slowly but I was so quietly infuriated that I was just firing away, praying the balls would end sooner than later...

i was the same way this morning then i went tonight and i didnt hit one fat or thin im 14 and i was driving it 250 straight as an arrow

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

My head starts out pretty much over the ball, maybe slightly behind, but..... at impact my head is ahead of the ball......

And I end up hitting it fat... Doesnt really make sense, but thats whats happening...

Oh, and I couldnt take a divot for anything today unless I purposely tried to. Does that mean I was way too shallow today??

i usually take a divot with most of my irons, and today, nothing.

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Note: This thread is 5335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!