IGNORED

separating upper body from lower body (on the downswing)

uppi
Note: This thread is 3992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalet View Post
None

There is no such thing as turning your shoulders too much... this is a common misconception.

Take a look at tigers driver swing and watch how far his shoulders go.... it is almost inhumanely possible to go further. Yet the club never goes past parallel.

this is also something I have noticed myself recently. There is a difference between arm turn and shoulder turn. You can turn the shoulders to 100% yet the arms could be pointing upwards still. These are separate, but still connected. Concentrating on shoulder turn rather than thinking of getting the arm into position is the way.

Sounds like you are getting everything to the top and think you should then start your lower body. I think the backswing is finished when the club stops moving backward. Your lower body should have already started doing its job by this point. I have always felt that the lower body starts the downswing before letting the arms finish the backswing. This will help you get separation and if the shoulders and arms are still going back while the lower is already setting up for the delivery, your shoulder will remain "closed" for longer into the downswing. Look at a pitcher. While is arm is going back his lower body is already moving toward the target. The top of the backswing is not a "position" per se. It is a moment captured in time with a camera. Not an actual stopping point. Good Luck!

Originally Posted by uppi

When I practice moving my arms through while forcing my shoulders to stay in place, it seems to work. I am not really thinking about my hips turning, but when I practice this way it seems the hips are almost taking care of themselves. For you experienced players out there, Is this how the downswing should feel?

Yes......do not force anything in the swing...as soon as you try to contrive the swing, you will bring errors.

Note: This thread is 3992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!