IGNORED

In seek of some tips/advice

wernerd46
Note: This thread is 5335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, so Im def gonna get lessons this fall or next spring, but am just looking here for some tips and advice to keep workin on my game. Problem is, most of my iron shots at the driving range are basically all roughly the same distance 3-5 irons usually range 150-180 yards if I hit it good. Everything after that is less than or equal to 150 yards. Now I have problems with slicing with driving and hittin irons, but am getting better. When I concentrate, and actually stay down on the ball, and try not to kill it, I usually tend to make good contact, but not the distance I think I should be getting. Whats the deal?

Im mainly looking for advice/reasons on my poor distance with my iron shots right now. Every now and then Ill get about the right distance out of an iron, but more times they tend not to be what they should it seems like.

SQ Dymo2 Str8 Fit 10.5*
SQ Dymo2 3 Wood 15*
SQ Dymo2 5 Wood 19*
Burner Plus Irons - 4-AW

I think you should give us some more infor, Wernerd46.

Is your question concerning the distance of your irons : "Why can't I hit my irons beyond 150 yards?" or "Why do I hit all my irons more or less the same distance (roughly 150 yards)". Try to give us an indication of the regular carry of each of your clubs (from LW to driver).

Regarding your slicing your irons, there can be multiple reasons : swing arc, release, grip, hip and shoulder rotation, ball position in your stance, you name it. Hard to tell why you slice without more info. I'ld say : check all the above : is your grip too weak? is your swing arc too horizontal? do you have enough release? where in your stance do you position your ball?
Try to break it down and find the root cause by experimenting with all of these factors : try different grips, focus on "over-releasing", try different ball positions, and see what the outcome is.

Alternative : have a pro look at it or post a video of your swing.

G.

In my ⬠49.95 bag :

Driver : Euhm... not there yet, but hopefully getting closer
Woods : Superfast Burner 3 Wood 15°
i4-PW : CG GoldGW : 252.08SW : CG12 56°Putter : Rossa Suzuka 35"Balls : Gold FX Long

Not sure about your driving range ... but the driving ranges that I've been to have "range balls" that are different than normal golf balls.

"range balls" are built to not fly as far as normal golf balls ... probably so as to keep the range cart from having to drive all over the course picking up range balls from people that can hit the ball a mile.

I've even been to driving ranges where the maximum distance is about 200 yards and no matter how awesome I hit my driver I can't get the ball to get over the 200 yard fence

In MY experience, the driving range is good to get a feel for how the ball moves left & right ... as well as feeling good contact. But it is NOT a good place to judge distance because either the balls are short flying "range balls" or I've even heard that the driving range yardage markers are off by quite a bit.

I'm actually in a similar boat in that I need to go out & get real yardages for my clubs again. I recently bought new irons & my yardages aren't the same as they once were. For me, going to the driving range to get my yardages isn't going to work. So I think I need to go out to the course late in the evening to find a flat hole & hit several balls from 200/150/100/etc to see what my yardages are for my clubs. Anyone else have any input on how to get yardages for your clubs? (ps, I don't have a distance measuring device like GPS/Rangefinder)

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

I think you should give us some more infor, Wernerd46.

I guess its hard for me to really give that right now, as my game has been unconsistent. When Im out actually playing, I usually tend to use a 6-7 iron for a 150 shot. My driver, Wilson Staff Dd5 I think it is (10 degree loft), I tend to usually drive it around 200-250 at most I think when I actually hit it straight, Im terrible judging distance. Now Ive used my dads new Nike Dynamo, and I hit that prob 250 yards no prob not even trying, but thats with the face on a closed angle. My 3,4,5,6 I try to have the ball towards my front foot, obviously 3 up further than the 6. 7,8,9 I tend to usually position it with it in the middle of my stance, along with my Pitching wedge, and thats all the clubs I have, aside from my 5w, which is just a tad further back than my driver.

My Pitching Wedge I say I hit around 100 yards, again, when I make solid contact. My irons are Wilson Staff, not sure what model, they used to be my dad's till he bought a new set. Steel shaft, stiff flex I believe (not 100% sure). Dad has told me they are a hard set to learn to play with, but there are days when I hit them great. I took a video on my cell phone at the range yesterday of my driver, not sure of the qaulity, having phone issues so it will be a few days till I get it on my computer to find out.
Not sure about your driving range ... but the driving ranges that I've been to have "range balls" that are different than normal golf balls.

I never considered the range ball factor. I guess it confused me, because my dad went with me last week, and he was hitting his 5 iron between 150-200 yard marker. Our range only goes to 200, but Ive drove it over once or twice when I did get ahold of it and was a straight drive.

SQ Dymo2 Str8 Fit 10.5*
SQ Dymo2 3 Wood 15*
SQ Dymo2 5 Wood 19*
Burner Plus Irons - 4-AW

I guess its hard for me to really give that right now, as my game has been unconsistent. When Im out actually playing, I usually tend to use a 6-7 iron for a 150 shot. My driver, Wilson Staff Dd5 I think it is (10 degree loft), I tend to usually drive it around 200-250 at most I think when I actually hit it straight, Im terrible judging distance. Now Ive used my dads new Nike Dynamo, and I hit that prob 250 yards no prob not even trying, but thats with the face on a closed angle. My 3,4,5,6 I try to have the ball towards my front foot, obviously 3 up further than the 6. 7,8,9 I tend to usually position it with it in the middle of my stance, along with my Pitching wedge, and thats all the clubs I have, aside from my 5w, which is just a tad further back than my driver.

I guess, the first thing you have to do is find some sort of consistency. If you can hit a pitching wedge anywhere between 90 and 120 yards on any given swing that could cause problems on the distance control issue. This comes from practice, of course, and lots of it. Make nice, smooths swings for solid contact. As for the equipment, it could be possible that the stiff flex in the shafts could be too stiff for your swing, basically causing you to fight through it.

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

You should probably get a PGA Professional to give you some lessons. Your swing is likely terrible and you're doing a few small things wrong. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just giving you good advice. You struggle with consistency because your swing is random and unreliable and you're unconscious of what you're doing right or wrong and how to maintain or fix it. Your clubs are going the same distance because of the contact you're making with the ball due to your bad swing. You're not hitting the ball the way the club was intended to strike a ball. Some of it could be the range ball but I'd doubt it.

Golf can be a tough game to break into.

Gotta practice......driving ranges are tough.....wide open plus the varying range ball quality...........gotta be good practice, not just making the same mistakes over and over untill they are habitual.

A couple of lessons to get you started off in the right direction are worth their weight in gold.

Hard to practice on the courses....as most only allow one ball in play per player....plus the time involved.

Extreme paitence and calm are must haves.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

You should probably get a PGA Professional to give you some lessons. Your swing is likely terrible and you're doing a few small things wrong. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just giving you good advice. You struggle with consistency because your swing is random and unreliable and you're unconscious of what you're doing right or wrong and how to maintain or fix it. Your clubs are going the same distance because of the contact you're making with the ball due to your bad swing. You're not hitting the ball the way the club was intended to strike a ball. Some of it could be the range ball but I'd doubt it.

I believe this really is the only way out. With school starting back up, I dont have the money to throw at a instructor just yet. I realize I need lessons, and plan on doing it hopefully soon. Would like to get one lesson in before my trip to Perry Park next month.

SQ Dymo2 Str8 Fit 10.5*
SQ Dymo2 3 Wood 15*
SQ Dymo2 5 Wood 19*
Burner Plus Irons - 4-AW

Note: This thread is 5335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!