IGNORED

Why Aren’t More People Copying Moe Norman's Swing?

Msokol13
Note: This thread is 890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

, but remember to swing at the target and not across into the trees like every other golfer.

Who's "every other golfer?" Spieth, Mcilroy, Woods, Nicklaus....? I'm not mocking you ok. But like you said...don't take his descriptions literally. Therefore one will never know what Moe "felt" to do his swing. If you watch Dave Wedzik on the 5SK Purestrike DVD system, he demonstrates what a swing that is done on a target line looks like. It looks nothing like Moe Normans swing. The baseball swing is on a horizontal plane, croquet a vertical one...golf is an inclined plane. I agree Moe was a great ball striker. But he was Moe and there will never be another one. Todd Graves has developed his swing about as close to Moe as probably anyone. Todd Graves is not on the tour and has dazzled no one. What is peddled on the website is merely gimmicky to me. It's not easier, it's not magical and there's no secret. Purely my opinion.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For sure, Moe was super odd. And yes, sometimes he would say things that didn't really make sense 100% or match up exactly with how he was moving. BUT, he understood very well how to do his swing, and how to make the ball go in the direction he wanted it to go. Somehow I totally understand it. Certain things like when he says "I only think of one straight line through the ball right to the target". When I think about moving the club head in the line the entire time from the takeaway to the follow through, my ball goes straight. When I look at my swing on camera the club head comes back from a little wrist hinge, and on the follow through some momentum eventually carries the club head passed my front shoulder. The point is that you can't take everything he says literally, but use it as a guide to help you find your own similar style swing.

The real key is the grip. Once you have a grip that will always leave your club face square you can sort of just do your normal swing, but remember to swing at the target and not across into the trees like every other golfer.

So what you're saying is that you're just another self proclaimed Moe Norman swing guru who discovered "the secret". Welcome to the club

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Yeah if you don't believe me let's play.

If you've found the secret, play Erik.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

You'd previously listed your handicap as 10 or 14. Now it's an emoticon. Please just set it to an accurate number and be proud of it.

And c'mon, let's not get off to a weird start. Post a My Swing thread ("Member Swings" forum) and show us what you're proud of. Moe, like every other good golfer, had all five keys.

Moe's swing also changed quite a bit. It was pretty typical early on when he was occasionally playing on the PGA Tour.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sandbag much? :-D

You'd previously listed your handicap as 10 or 14. Now it's an emoticon.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't have a handicap and never have. I am young and never paid usga for it or however it is done.

I can at least bogey most holes, sometimes better- unless I hit some kind of hazard. I always play from the far back tee box.

I don't have a handicap and never have. I am young and never paid usga for it or however it is done. I can at least bogey most holes, sometimes better- unless I hit some kind of hazard. I always play from the far back tee box.

??? And you are here to tell us how great the Moe Norman swing is? I am confused.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Moe Norman's swing worked because he hit more balls in an afternoon than most of us hit in a lifetime.

That's why his swing was automatic.

He was a machine.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I don't have a handicap and never have. I am young and never paid usga for it or however it is done.

So you play regularly? Handicaps are free. Just turn in your scores. Anyway....OT. Like Iacas said, give us a swing video. We always like to see what others are doing, how they're improving.

Sorry, don't know why my reply ended up in the quote box.

Moe Norman's swing worked because he hit more balls in an afternoon than most of us hit in a lifetime.

That's why his swing was automatic.

He was a machine.

And more importantly this....

Moe, like every other good golfer, had all five keys.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

And more importantly this....

Yeah... but... his 5 Keys were made possible by his obsessive practice schedule.

My point was more about the fact that the whole Natural Golf thing was built around it being so easy, with Moe Norman as the poster-child.  The hook was that it was such an easy pattern to replicate, when in reality, he worked tirelessly to craft and refine his swing.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

In my own personal experience attempting to copy someones swing simply doesn't work for me. Currently I have arrived at the opinion that individual golf swings are like finger prints. No two are alike. I have tried copying various swing methods other golfers have recommended without a whole lot of success. Through trial and error I have had to find what works for me.

Golf is hard. Period. So the answer to the entire point of this thread? Golf is hard. Natural golf isn't any easier. There are no shortcuts. There are 5 keys. God speed on getting those 5 keys in your swing, whichever way you do.

Someone once said to me; "give golf a try, it's challenging" to which I replied, yeah, so is throwing a marble into a shot glass at 100 feet

Some good posts. I hit thousands of balls over a one year period using short irons during a second disability period (didn't stress the left side of totally replaced joints up and down) and looked at Moe's swing positions and finish since I couldn't turn at first. Helped me hit down the line...or maybe the endless repetition.

I can at least bogey most holes, sometimes better- unless I hit some kind of hazard. I always play from the far back tee box.

Yet you already know better than every pro tour player,none of which use Moe's swing, and more than @iacas and @mvmac .

Ahhh, the certainties of youth.

A word of advice: with the game you describe (which sounds pretty comparable to my own) I wouldn't be challenging players to play, in order to prove the accuracy of your take on the swing.  You will get your clock cleaned and it will have proven nothing about whose swing theory is correct.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!