IGNORED

High School Golf Bad Sportsmanship

Titleistgolf16
Note: This thread is 5328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just got done playing my High School golf match. I didn't do well but I still had some fun. The downer was this kid kept getting mad slamming and throwing clubs. He was no fun at all. I think there is no place in the game for throwing clubs. I think they should be penalized for this kind of behavior. Any high school golfers here see this? Anyone have an opinion?

Pro Titanium 905R w/ UST Proforce V2 7 stiff.
975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW
Not sure what name of SW mallet putter Pro V1x Ball Bag

I'm not a HS golfer, but I'm surprized to hear that they don't penalize players for that in a HS event.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Yea...i Play hs Golf and i see this a lot, but never anyone throwing clubs. Usually we just ignore it but if coach sees, then he talks to the guy, no matter what team. If it's our team, we're disqualified by the coach automatically.

Driver: FT Tour 9.5
Fairway woods: X-Fairway 3 and 5
Irons: : X-Forged '09 3-PW in Carolina Blue, Oklahoma Orange, and Wake Forest Green grips.
Wedges: X-Forged '09 54-14 and Vokey Spin-Milled 60-7
Putter: Odyssey Black Series #8

Preferred Ball: Z-star Tour Yellow

In the Pockets: Ball, Ecotee, Switchblade Divot Repair tool, Pencil w/ Eraser.

I tossed a club at my bag during a HS match one day. It hit one of the legs and broke it. So I had to replace my bag for my little tantrum. That was the last time I threw a club.

My coach laughed and said if I did it again I wouldn't be playing in another match.

Driver: 909 D3 Diamana Blue
3 wood Ti Bubble 2
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19 S Fujikura
4-PW: ZB NS Pro 100 S
GW: 51 VokeySW: 55 VokeyLW: 60 BeCuPutter: Red X3 or Del Mar 2 TeI3Ball: TP Red LDP or Pro V1x

I just got done playing my High School golf match. I didn't do well but I still had some fun. The downer was this kid kept getting mad slamming and throwing clubs. He was no fun at all. I think there is no place in the game for throwing clubs. I think they should be penalized for this kind of behavior. Any high school golfers here see this? Anyone have an opinion?

It wasn't a penalty until after 1996 in my HS matches (I graduated in 1996).

The kid probably wants to win, and can't handle the fact that he's not going to, and instead of internalizing his anger, takes it out on his equipment. He's probably someone that does well in practice and has high expectations of himself, and doesn't live up to them on the course. It happens.

Sometimes I get pissed and maybe cuss under my breath. I'm human. I'm not going to not be mad if I hit a sh*tty shot. That's just me.

The cussing doesn't bother me. I do it when I hit a bad shot but throwing clubs should be a penalty or a DQ because it makes them look like whiny brats.

Pro Titanium 905R w/ UST Proforce V2 7 stiff.
975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW
Not sure what name of SW mallet putter Pro V1x Ball Bag

I see club slamming and swearing in my HS matches all the time. I'm not saying I'm a saint, but some people get way too bent out of shape over one shot. If you let things like that get to you, it will most likely ruin the rest of your round.

Driver: Hyper X Tour 10.5* Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Acer Select 5000 16* Ping Cushin Stiff Shaft
Irons: NDS 3-PW (missing #7, replaced with clone) True Temper Uniflex SpeedStep Shaft
Wedges: Acer XK Tour 56*10 Precision Stiff Shaft, Revolution 60*10 True Temper Wedgeflex

The cussing doesn't bother me. I do it when I hit a bad shot but throwing clubs should be a penalty or a DQ because it makes them look like whiny brats.

Yeah. Back when I started playing I thought I was such a hot-shot and if I didn't hit a perfect shot I'd get pissed. A broken 3W later, and I'm a changed man.

It doesn't matter how stupid they look doing it, it's how their tantrum's affect the players around them. Maybe anger management should be part of the curriculum.

Driver: 907D2 10.5°
3Wood: 906F 15°
Hybrid: 585H 21°
Irons: 660 (4-P)
Wedges: Black SM52°, SM56°, SM60°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

What bugs me about younger HS golfers is their need to "talk trash" to each other on the practice range. You'd think it was NBA basketball players trying to intimidate foes during free throws, of NFL football players insulting each other between plays.

Not only is it noisy, it's rude. I talked to their coach privately about their bad manners and what it means for the future of golf, and he basically said, "there's nothing I can do."

Hopefully these kids will outgrow it before they hit senior year.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You just have to take it as a positive and feed off his anger. I always play better when I see my opponent showing emotion and I know most people I play with are the same way. We feed off each other, it's only natural to elevate your game when you see your opponent get angry.

In my sack:

Driver: VR STR-8 Fit Tour 10.5 VooDoo stiff
3 wood: 909F2 13.5* stiff Diamana
Hybrid: Rescue 19* stiff3-6: MP 52 S3007-PW: MP 62 S300Wedges: 54-12, 58-8Putter: Newport 2 TeI3

What bugs me about younger HS golfers is their need to "talk trash" to each other on the practice range. You'd think it was NBA basketball players trying to intimidate foes during free throws, of NFL football players insulting each other between plays. Not only is it noisy, it's rude. I talked to their coach privately about their bad manners and what it means for the future of golf, and he basically said, "there's nothing I can do." Hopefully these kids will outgrow it before they hit senior year.

My guess would be, 99 times out of 100, incidents like this are in jest between guys who have a friendly rivalry on the course - nothing to get your shorts in a knot over.

I just got done playing my High School golf match. I didn't do well but I still had some fun. The downer was this kid kept

I used to be the same way long ago. The biggest thing that I realized was that I wasn't as good as I thought I should be. Once I figured that out, I took that energy and focused more on my game. I started trying to figure out why I didn't hit the ball great, rather than get mad about it. Most of it just comes from being young and immature. Some people just take a little longer to figure it out.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I havent been in highschool in many years but I was with my friend the other day and we both did horrible, I ignore the bad shots

he took his club which was some sort of iron and wrapped it around a tree..

this not only was embarrasing but he is out a club... who was a set of irons with a 5 or 7 iron gone

I don't want to play with losers like that

4dx hybrid Graphite Irons
3-4 Hybrid
Pipe Putter
Titleist Pro V1...I lose enough of em
Revolver Pro 440sz

Tiger does it so it must be OK.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I have a buddy who does the same thing. Now I refuse to play with him. In fact, I don't think any of his buddies like playing with him. Basically, he now gets out on his own.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!