IGNORED

Tommy Armour 845 irons: Any stories?

WUTiger
Note: This thread is 2798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every golf shop I go into seems to have a used set or two of the Tommy Armour 845 irons.

These were manufactured from about 1988 up until 2004 (?). The 845 HB model most recent, I believe. Several of the models fell into the Super Game Improvement category.

* Does anyone still play them?

* If you played them in the past, how did you like them?

Lots of sharp looking clubs, the Silver Scot and Stripe models. I just never had the chance to try them out.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played with a set of 845 Silver Scots for a few years in the early 90's and seem to recall I got on really well with them. I can't remember where I bought them from or what I did with them either! I was playing with them when my handicap came down from 23 to 14 and then changed for a set of Titleist DCi irons. I think I snapped my 7 iron shaft playing out from under some trees accidently and because the pro couldn't get a matching shaft that may have prompted the change.
Damn old age and my receding memory...

In the bag......
Driver: Ping G10 10.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
3 wood: Ping G10 15.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
5 wood: Ping G10 18.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
Hybrids: Ping i15 20 degree AWT regular (on order!)4-PW: Ping i15 AWT regularGap Wedge: Ping Tour-W 50/12 AWT regular (on order!)Sand Wedge:...

I played with the 845 Silver Scot's for 5 yrs before upgrading to my G5's....I still have my old clubs....played really well (for me) by was time to get new technology. Would definitely recommend them for a begginer or high handicapper

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I'd totally recommend them for someone like woodzie mentioned above, and even for some mid-handicap level players. When I played in HS there were 2 or 3 guys on the team who had Silver Scot's and played them extremely well. I never owned a set personally, but hitting theirs I could tell that they were a more than adequate set of irons.

Driver: R7 Superquad, 9.5*, Proforce UST V2 Stiff
3-W: 300-series, 15*, steel shaft
Irons: TP MB Smoke 3-PW (just got em!)
Old irons: rac MB 3-PW (might be selling soon?)
Wedges: CG-12 Gunmetal, 52*, 56* & 60*Putter: Studio Select Newport, 15g weights, 34", etcBag: Hoofer Lite (sun-faded...

An uncle of mine bought me a set right when they first came out. He stumbled on them at a great price and liked them so much, he bought them for me. They were so good, he almost gave me his Ping Eye 2 and kept the 845s.

Being of modest financial means, the 845s were a dream set for me. Then as I played them, I liked them more than just being a kids with something he really couldn't afford. So, as the years went on, I kept them. Even when I could afford a new set, I stayed with my 845s and it wasn't until just two (or three) years ago I replaced them with a set of Callaway X-18s.

The 845s are still in my basement and I still carry the lob wedge that came with the set. At least I will carry it until the Cleveland wedge I just bought on Ebay arrives.

You can't go wrong with the 845s, or any of Tommy Armour's clubs in the 845 series. Including the Evo 845s they came out with in the late 90s.

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

I have owned and played 845 silver scots for the last 5 years. I like them alot and they have been really good for me. They are game improvement irons that alot of low handicappers played similar to the ping eye 2's. They actually have a good amount of wins on tour too from back in the early 90's. I love my tommy armours, but they are finally starting to look their age and they have knicks and dings everywhere so they will probably be replaced by christmas. I would reccomend tommy armours to anyone, especially beginners who are looking for a cheaper set of beginner clubs.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

These irons were the rage when I started the game back in ~1994. Many of the golfers I fell in with were gaming either these or the PING Eye2 irons.

My first set of sticks was in fact a copy of the Tommy Armour 845 irons. A local guy rough fit me and made up a set for really cheap. They did really well for a few years until I moved on (needlessly really) to other sets.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I played with a set of the titanium faced irons w/ stiff graphite shafts back around 2001-02. Great quality set, but didn't feel great (probably due to the titanium face) and I could never get used to how light the shafts felt. Performance was very similar to the DCI 762's that replaced them and remain in the the bag to this day.

Playing regularly again after a few years off. Started playing in 1999.
Whats in the bag?
Driver: R7 425 9.5*, Reax 65 shaft
3 Wood: V Steel 13* tour-spoon, M.A.S.^2 shaft
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19*, Dynamic Gold shaft Irons: DCI 762 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold shaftsWedges: Watson VI, 52.08, 56.14,...

A friend of mine bought a set of them in 88. I think he gave like $500 for them then. He played them for years and really liked them. I'd bet with with some new good shafts in them they'd play nearly as well as new clubs.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I use the TA 845s Oversized and am reluctant to upgrade (haven't really tested anything else) because I'm so happy with them.

People mention they're for beginner/high-handicapper, but I find them to be very workable - although I don't really have anything else to compare them to...
Cheers!

cf
Driver: 907 D2 10.5º || Fairway Woods: Viper Tour 14º & 18º || 3 - PW: 845s Oversized || Wedges: Upswing Golf 52º, 56º, 60º || Putter: Pinseeker Bombshell HS-1

I had a set of 845s in high school as well in the mid 90s. Absolutely loved them. Unfortunately I traded them in for a set of Tommy Armour V-31s - they're progressive irons. The V-31s were not nearly as good and I've been kicking myself for trading in those 845s. Another vote of for the 845s - one of the best set of affordable irons ever made in my humble opinion.
IN MY BAG:
Driver - FT-5 9* Aldila MOI Proto S-flex
3W - 200 Steel Fujikura Speeder 757 S-flex
Hybrid - 22* Burner Rescue Aldila NV Hybrid S-flex
Irons - 4-PW 755 TriSpec S-flexWedges - X-Tour Vintage SW 588 gunmetal LWPutter - Natalie 34"Ball - TP Red

• 2 weeks later...
I still play 845 Silver Scots. The first set I ever played was actually a knock off set of 845s. After that I replaced them with the legitimate version. So I have been playing with the same set (essentially) for as long as I have played golf ~20 years.

Back when I got them they were matte grey . I have worn them down to a smooth silver. Lately I have been considering swapping them out but it's hard when they are so comfortable.

Driver & 3 Wood: Burner Superfast
Utility 17°: 09 Rescue
Irons (3- PW): Original 845 Silver Scott
Sand Wedge 56°: Vokey
Putter: IC 20-10ABall: Tour iXGPS:

I played the original 845 Silver Scots for a few years and absolutely loved them. I switched to the forged Titleist because I wanted newer technology and forged clubs. I never really saw the 845's as game improvement irons since they have much smaller heads than the King Cobras I played before them. I still keep them for a back up set and for friends that play and don't have a set of clubs.

I agree with bman1313. I've played with the 845s for the last 18 yrs. I'm in the market now for new irons (looking at Mizunos) and, surprisingly, Mizuno's MP-52s (their most forgiving "players club") don't have a head that's much smaller than the 845s. All-in-all the 845s have served me extremely well. Highly recommended.

People can't seem to take these clubs out of their bag. I hear of people playing them for years and years - I did it too.

If I didn't need something with increadibly vibration damping, I would still be playing my 845s.

Does anyone know if the newest versions have the stronger lofts of more modern clubs? Or are they the same as always?

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

• 1 year later...

I have 845hb sand wedge in my bag and love it, very easy to play.  I have never tried any other Armour irons, but if I had a chance I would give them a try.

I played a set of 845HBs for about 3 years.  I thought they were great clubs for a beginner or casual golfer, especially the hybrid 3 & 4.  Very easy to hit, and the topline of the irons wasn't quite as bloated as what you see in some newer UGI/SGI irons.

I play a set of original 845's. Great set of irons, very forgiving and feel pure when you hit the ball. I'm not a low handicapper, but I know scratch golfers who still use them. Had my first eagle with them a little while ago. To me they are a proof that you don't need the newest and most expensive clubs to go low and improve at golf.

Note: This thread is 2798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!