IGNORED

What are some good clubs for a Lady?

chippy
Note: This thread is 5266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking to get my GF a "good" cheap set. I know good and cheap don't come together, but she is a beginner and I dont' really want to spend that much until she gets better. She'll come with me to the range almost all the time, and will hit my clubs here and there. She really likes it, but like I stated earlier still very new and doesn't know her basics yet. I'm just looking to get her something to get her started.

I was looking at the older Lynx? On ebay they're going for under $100, which isn't too shabby.

Looked at some Nickent, and they seem to be farily cheap also.

Thanks guys!
Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter
Utility Niblick 42*Balls ONE and C3

I bought my wife a set of Aspire clubs at Play It Again for under 200 bucks. For the price, they seem like a good set. There's a driver, 3w, 6i-pw, 25*hybrid, putter, and bag. If she decides she wants to play seriously, we'll upgrade.
(fwiw... I can hit her driver as far and straight as my Nike SQ.)

Why not something that you would want to play...? I do see you listed a 36hc, sooo are you playing some cheap clubs? hehe.
Show her you care
Even a quality used set says more than some new cheapies.

Why not something that you would want to play...? I do see you listed a 36hc, sooo are you playing some cheap clubs? hehe.

I saw some Taylormade on ebay for $120, might jump on that. She is about 5'1 - 5'2 in height, do you think a "junior/petite" set would do her better? I found a brand new Walter Hagen set locally on craigslist for $165. It's missing a driver, so I might try to talk him down since it's only $219.99 now on Golf Galaxy.

Here's the rundown on it. http://www.golfgalaxy.com/galaxy/pro...ffset=1&s;_id=0
Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter

Looking to get my GF a "good" cheap set. I know good and cheap don't come together, but she is a beginner and I dont' really want to spend that much until she gets better. She'll come with me to the range almost all the time, and will hit my clubs here and there. She really likes it, but like I stated earlier still very new and doesn't know her basics yet. I'm just looking to get her something to get her started.

Go with the Lynx - also look at craigslist -

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/1350857108.html Do not get brand new "super game improvement" irons for your wife. My experience is that women are more likely sweepers than diggers. Wide soled irons with bounce (mose women's beginner sets) are harder to hit the closer you get to the green. My wife hits better chips and pitches with my Hogan Apex PCs than her own set. She also likes my Titleist blades but says full cord hurt her hands - whaah.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Go with the Lynx - also look at craigslist -

Sean, you missed my post right before yours.

Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter

Generally speaking; most ladies aren't the sporting nuts that guys are. Don't let her lose interest with inferior equipment. You are indeed a lucky man that she is interested in the sport. Ebay is a great source.

This inexpensive method got my wife hooked:
1. Used brand name Taylormade/Callaway driver. 5-8 yrs old is fine.
2. Used brand name Taylormade/Callaway 5 wood.
3. New cloned/generic set of Taylormade/Callaway irons(5-PW)

If budget comes into play; wait on the driver for a little while. A 5 wood is much easier in getting the ball airborne than a 3 wood.

This setup will keep her going for a long time and she will appreciate the brand recognition at a budget cost.

Callaway Preowned's website will tell you the year model for a Callaway club you find on ebay.

Good Luck,

Generally speaking; most ladies aren't the sporting nuts that guys are. Don't let her lose interest with inferior equipment. You are indeed a lucky man that she is interested in the sport. Ebay is a great source.

Ozzieman, thanks for a great input!

Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter

[QUOTE=whetstone;372019]I bought my wife a set of Aspire clubs at Play It Again for under 200 bucks. For the price, they seem like a good set. There's a driver, 3w, 6i-pw, 25*hybrid, putter, and bag. If she decides she wants to play seriously, we'll upgrade.
QUOTE]

I bought my wife this same set from the same place for Easter this year. They are a good fit for her now and it is an excellent value. I understand the philosophy of "not getting inferior equipment" - but, realistically, I figured my wife would be a once every couple of week golfer at best. If she really took a liking to it and these clubs were prohibiting her development, then we could upgrade and only be out the $170 we spent for the Aspire set.

I'd rather buy the $170 clubs and she loves the sport so we need to upgrade, rather than spend $250+ and she doesn't take to the sport and they collect dust.

Two different philosophies - just go with what make sense to you and your best guess on if she'll like the sport or not.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

Currently on ebay there is a Lady Cobra iron set for $80. Callaway Big Bertha and Steelhead driver/woods are $30 each(originally $200-$300 new). Just be sure to buy the same model for driver/wood. But you still need a bag and putter. Perhaps you have a friend or a local First Tee program with an old unused bag?

Good advice from all. Absolutely nothing wrong with getting that Aspire set the other guys are mentioning because it includes everything you need. Actually my wife did start that way; but we ended up spending more money to upgrade; thus my advice as it is. My daughter got her old starter set. If your girlfriend is young and a natural athlete; she will learn fast and her competitive spirit will want to improve. If she is just average; a starter set should be just fine.

In my limited experience; beginners will find their comfort zone in only 3 or 4 clubs. For my wife and daughter it was the driver, 5 wood, 7 and 9 irons.

One last suggestion. Spend $45 for one lesson with a teaching pro. That is enough to get her started on the right track with grip and swing fundamentals before bad habits develop. It also helps remove you from the competitive bossy boyfriend/husband thing.

One last suggestion. Spend $45 for one lesson with a teaching pro. That is enough to get her started on the right track with grip and swing fundamentals before bad habits develop. It also helps remove you from the competitive bossy boyfriend/husband thing.

This is great advise. Also, look at your local Community Centers and Golf Courses. After getting my wife the set of Aspire clubs, we booked her into a 5-week, one hour small group sessions with the club house pro for only $120! It was a great way for her to learn the fundamentals.

What I Play:

You don't mention of the size/height and athletic ability of the lady.

Medium to tall women with moderate athletic ability may be able to use senior shafts (less whippy) rather than women's shafts.

Also, I would stay away from eBay on this one. Take her go to a shop and let her test-hit some clubs. Lots of shops have one person who specializes in fitting women golfers. See if you can find that person.

Wall Street Journal had an article last summer about women's golf club design. See if you can track it down online. Also, Ralph Maltby's website has a section on women's clubs.

And, as ozzieman and etlreams suggested, get her some lessons. Could be individual, or a local golf clinic. Better yet, take a clinic together.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You don't mention of the size/height and athletic ability of the lady. Medium to tall women with moderate athletic ability may be able to use senior shafts (less whippy) rather than women's shafts. Also, I would stay away from eBay on this one. Take her go to a shop and let her test-hit some clubs. Lots of shops have one person who specializes in fitting women golfers. See if you can find that person. Wall Street Journal had an article last summer about women's golf club design. See if you can track it down online. Also, Ralph Maltby's website has a section on women's clubs. And, as ozzieman and etlreams suggested, get her some lessons. Could be individual, or a local golf clinic. Better yet, take a clinic together.

Wutiger, I mentioned in a post after the original stating that she is about 5'2 with some good athletic ability. She played in some organized Ladies Flag Football league

Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter

• 1 month later...
I am getting my wife a set of clubs (her first) for Christmas. I would be more interested in hearing from you folks here than the salesman. Also, we are working on an island off Cape Cod so I don't even have access to visit a golf shop/store. Looks like The Golf Warehouse, Edwin Watts, Golfsmith, will be the way to buy her first set. She has a Ping B60 putter I recently got to test the waters a bit. She loves putting. Now time to take the plunge and get her actually playing golf. I have heard of hybrids, Callaway i-brids, etc.. So many choices to make, not sure what to get. It is a surprise and I want to get her the right set up. For you gals, or guys that have wives/girlfriends that play, what set up are chics using? I am a bit lost on the subject. I am scheduling some private lessons for early January. Need club info now. Thanks for any help!

Dan

Ask yourself some questions: Does she play any other sports? Or rather, is she any good at any racquet or stick and ball sports? Has she ever hit a golf ball with any kind of club other than a putter? How tall and strong is she?

If she's going to be a casual observer and occasional player, go ahead and get her a set of sticks. If you honestly think she may end taking the game seriously, involve her in the buying process - get her swing (if she has one) evaluated and get some honest feedback from either a retailer an OEM websitse, or a clubmaker.

I helped my wife pick out a ladies set (woods she never uses, 5-PW, SW, my old Odyssey that I hated from day one) and I know darned well that she was hitting the ball better with my old set of Hogan Apex irons - she's too tall for the ladies set and her swing is too solid for all the game improvement trickery built into her ladies set. Shoulda got her a lessons package and then moved into new clubs. She already had a solid swing - just needs more reps to work on her golf muscles - little ones in the hands and feet and some bigger ones in the back, core, and legs - not ones you use every day unless playing other similar sports.

If nothing else, a strong pass at the ball might convince the people in the golf shop that she can hit something a little more standard than the super game improvement they'll be pushing.

Hell, I've been playing blades for over 20 years and they try to still to steer me to sets with hybrids up to the 6 iron - everyone has their agenda. The golf shops are told which lines and models to push, the posters on this site will often recommend whatever they have in their signature, and if you look at OEM websites they all claim to have the world's greatest woods/irons/wedges/putters/balls/bags.

Based on their solid lineup with seniors and top players I'd look at something from Adams . I don't own it, maybe never will. But if I was getting started, their stuff seems solid throughout the lines.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My wife is not athletic but wanted a set of clubs. She was thrilled with the Wilson Hope set. It was $200 at Target. I have picked up a couple other clubs on ebay for her. Remember shoes, she has to pick them herself!

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Michelle Wie uses Nike Victory Red Forged Blades. That is now what your wife must use.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

There was a good thread a while back about getting a good set that they can grow with vs getting a “cheap” starter set, incase they did not really take a strong liking to the sport. It had some pretty good discussion in it and some good recommendations on which sets. http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29518

I went with the “starter set” approach for my wife this past Easter. Got her the Aspire complete set at 2nd Swing for $160. Came with a very nice stand bag, driver, 3w, 25*hybrid, 6i-pw and putter. For the money, the clubs are pretty nice. I’ve hit them myself at the driving range a few times.

Good luck!

What I Play:

Note: This thread is 5266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!