IGNORED

Best Golf Movie

Ty Haegs
Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I mentioned it in the first post ;) great movie!

I have to thank you for that one, too.

I ordered A Gentleman's Game on Netflix and just watched it. In fact, I got up a 4:00am for my morning coffee and watched the movie then. It was a good story that struck a chord or two, especially the father/son relationship that is strengthened on the course. Bagger Vance and Greatest Game are still my favorite golf movies but this one was enjoyable. The language and subthemes made it totally unsuitable to watch with my son....too bad, there.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest game ver played was the best movie. One, because it's true, and it has the perfect ending. I like tin cup and happy gilmore as well, but caddyshack, come on guys. It's okay, but it is a really dumb movie.

• 3 months later...
I had to resurrect this thread. I watched Tin Cup and what a horrible movie IMO. It was on the other night and the wife and I both wanted to switch the channel.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

• 3 months later...
I had to resurrect this thread. I watched Tin Cup and what a horrible movie IMO. It was on the other night and the wife and I both wanted to switch the channel.

Yeah totally agree, bit of a stupid movie really. I watched that along with Caddyshack recently and struggled to get to the end of both. Atleast you expect caddyshack to be totally ridiculous so you can bear with it for most of it.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Comedy: Happy Gilmore. "That's your home! Are you too good for your home?"

My favorite golf movie by far is The Legend of Bagger Vance.
Favorite quote:
"You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That's ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough sons of bitches to kill."

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

One of my can't forget golf scenes is from Doctor T and the Women where he (Richard Gere) is raking the sand trap while talking to his (female) golf instructor. He rakes it for the whole scene. No one rakes a bunker that long.

just watched gentleman's game. it was a good film, but pretty damn depressing.

Maybe it was the commercial breaks every 5 minutes on the Golf Channel but I thought this movie was horrible - sappy, melodramatic, overacted, and horrid writing just to name a few things that rubbed me the wrong way. It reminded me of a very poorly done Lifetime movie, I kept expecting Meredith Baxter Berney to show up and for the kid to announce he was bulemic.

Gary Sinise was OK for the 5 minutes he was on screen though. As much as I love Caddyshack, Tin Cup is my favorite golf move. Caddyshack is a comedy about golfers whereas Tin Cup truly is a golf movie.

Completely agree with the last post about a gentleman's game. I just couldn't get into it and the ending I found very fake, not in a Caddyshack sense, but a convoluted sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe it was the commercial breaks every 5 minutes on the Golf Channel but I thought this movie was horrible - sappy, melodramatic, overacted, and horrid writing just to name a few things that rubbed me the wrong way. It reminded me of a very poorly done Lifetime movie, I kept expecting Meredith Baxter Berney to show up and for the kid to announce he was bulemic.

I either am not as intelligent as I tell people and didn't get it, or this movie just had nothing to get. I thought that it was terrible. It had WAY too much going on. The focus of the story switched every time the sun set. No story was told from start to finish, each scene gives us only a glimpse of the makings of a great story. Some of the stories are finished by narration, and others not at all. Also, the characters do the same thing. Every person in the movie had a story, and some of them were all excellent stories that deserved time to be told. This movie attempts to tell all of them, in the time they could have told 1 and a 1/2.

My favorite golf movie is still Tin Cup, it follows a predictable plot but it is entertaining to watch weather it is the 1st time I have seen it or the 10th.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I to did not like Gentlemans game, it seemed one minute it was a golf story and the next minute it was a family story, it couldn't make up it mind which plot to follow.

I thought Tin Cup was a great movie, a fun story line that touched on the mentality and humor of golf.

Bagger Vance was another great one for the mental and spiritual aspect of the game.

But for true stories The Greatest Game ever Played and Bobby Jones were both great movies, and Caddyshack was highly overated and is more of an obnoxious movie than it is comedy.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

Caddyshack. One of those comedies that gets funnier every time you watch it, just because you're anticipating the next great line just around the corner. Naturally, it's best viewed with like-minded (or mindless) buddies.

That's kind of a strange phenomenon, the whole more-you-watch, funnier-it-gets deal. And pretty much exclusive to guys, in my experience.

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

For me, this is kinda tough because it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. That being said, my picks , , ,

Tied at 1st & 2nd - Legend of Bagger Vance and The Greatest Game Ever Played (Bruce McGill was GREAT as Walter Hagen)
Tied at 3rd & 4th - Tin Cup and Dead Solid Perfect
5th - Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genios
6th - Caddyshack

IN MY BAG:

DRIVER: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus 65G S shaft
3 WOOD: TaylorMade SIM2 Titanium 3-wood 15* Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Blue 75 S shaft
UTILITY: TaylorMade Stealth 19* 3 Hybrid Aerotech Steelfiber i95 S shaft
IRONS: TaylorMade P760 3-PW;/TTDyn Gold 120 S-300
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 54* TTDyn Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 58* TTDyn Gold X100 8i shaft
PUTTER: PING BeNi Scottsdale Anser or Ping BeNi Anser 4 34.5"
BALL: Bridgestone Tour B RXS

One can certainly argue the relative artistic merits of the movies mentioned so far, but it is widely held in intellectual circles that Caddyshack has the single finest closing line in cinematic history. So there.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One can certainly argue the relative artistic merits of the movies mentioned so far, but it is widely held in intellectual circles that Caddyshack has the single finest closing line in cinematic history. So there.

Well, it's hard to argue that one . . .

IN MY BAG:

DRIVER: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus 65G S shaft
3 WOOD: TaylorMade SIM2 Titanium 3-wood 15* Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Blue 75 S shaft
UTILITY: TaylorMade Stealth 19* 3 Hybrid Aerotech Steelfiber i95 S shaft
IRONS: TaylorMade P760 3-PW;/TTDyn Gold 120 S-300
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 54* TTDyn Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 58* TTDyn Gold X100 8i shaft
PUTTER: PING BeNi Scottsdale Anser or Ping BeNi Anser 4 34.5"
BALL: Bridgestone Tour B RXS

I liked Tin Cup, but the golf scenes rang hollow for me. Probably because the venue bore no resemblance to a US Open course, and Don Johnson bore no resemblance to an actual professional golfer. His demeanor, mannerisms... ugh. Made Costner look natural, by comparison.

That said, I'm a big Ron Shelton fan. To me, Bull Durham is the best baseball movie and, frankly, miles better than Tin Cup.

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

• 4 months later...
There are some films that you can watch anytime they are on TV. My favorite golf film of all time has to be The Legend of Bagger Vance. I thought it really captures the essence golf. Even though the great depression was occurring people's spirits would be lifted just by seeing a great golf matchup. It would be amazing to play golf in that time. No Big Bertha drivers and pro v1's. Ha

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!