IGNORED

Rusted Titleist Vokey

Note: This thread is 5319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I got a hold of this vokey and its rusted to hell and back. I hear they use raw steel or some nonsense so rusting is normal but it looks pretty bad to be honest. I was gonna sell it to a friend but is it really supposed to be like this or is the club just crap?

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

the oil can vokey is made to rust. when you play in rain or even slightly wed conditions and the club isn't wiped off it will rust. it's very normal. to remove the rust simply take your club brush(not wet) and brush it off, then clean anything else up with a dry towel. also, fyi cobra(owned by titliest) used to manufacture a club called the "trusty rusty". alot of ppl think the rust gives wedges a bit softer feel, it doesn't affect the durability of the club at all, just keep the grooves clean

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

how do you feel about me cleaning it with a steel brush or will I just completely ruin the club?

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

fyi cobra(owned by titliest) used to manufacture a club called the "trusty rusty"

I played with one of those once when I borrowed a set of clubs from a friend in college, used it to hit one of the best fairway bunker shots of my life. The memory of that was part of what made me get my new Callaway wedges in raw steel, though that's probably not a very rational reason. I like the rusty finish on wedges, but wouldn't have it on my regular irons. Go figure...

If you hit them with a steel brush you will leave fine brush marks once you get down to bare metal, but it won't ruin anything as far as I know and probably it probably won't even be visible once they get another thin layer of corrosion over the clean spot. Just a heavy rub down with a coarse cloth and some wd-40 or something like that will take off a lot of it, and help slow down the onset of rust in the future.

The rust is part of the appeal.

Obviously you don't get it....so instead of ruining the stick, give it or sell it to a buddy who appreciates it.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Most vokeys will rust with use no matter the finish. My last gap wedge was the tour satin finish and that thing looked like hell. My new black satin finishes are even starting to rust a little. It happens. Until you wear out the face, its not a problem, though. Just try to seperate the rustys from your other clubs and headcovers, because the rust will rub off onto them.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I just replaced my Callaway fusion PW, AW & SW with:

Callaway Forged Vintage 48 deg
Callaway X Forged Vintage 52-13, C grind MD grooves
Callaway X Tour Vintage 56-10

All three are "rusty", but they have much more bite than the Fusions.
Found all three on ebay......you just have to camp out until the right one comes along for the right price. I decided $50 was okay for new or bareley used.....it worked.

The rust is part of the appeal.

+1

I have soem rusty vokeys myslef, once and while someone will say "you don't take very good care of your clubs" truth is i try hard to keep that rust in them
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

how do you feel about me cleaning it with a steel brush or will I just completely ruin the club?

no. that will ruin it. jsut play with it and clean it after ever shot. dont u steel on wedges it ruins them. my vokeys get rusty all the time but by the 3rd hole its gone

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

So I got a hold of this vokey and its rusted to hell and back. I hear they use raw steel or some nonsense so rusting is normal but it looks pretty bad to be honest. I was gonna sell it to a friend but is it really supposed to be like this or is the club just crap?

Do they sell CLR or SOS pads on NC?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

no. that will ruin it.. dont u steel on wedges it ruins them.

Just curious, but how so? Would it really remove or displace so much of the steel from the clubhead that it would round off the edges of the grooves or something like that? I've heard advice to not use a wire brush on clubs because it would wear through the chrome or whatever other sort of finish came from the factory, but that's obviously not a concern here.

Jeez people are kinda stiff. lol. Hey to keep it short and simple its a great club and the rust is part of the appeal just take care of the club like any other and have fun playing!!
IN MY BAG
Driver - Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood - SZ 15*
Irons - R9 4-AW kbs shafts, 19* Burner Rescue
Wedges - 2007 Tom Watson Lob 60* CG-15 56* Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Pro v119th Hole weapon of choiceBudLight:

Note: This thread is 5319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!