IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

This is a major derailment for this thread....

Sorry, I just felt I had to state what I did.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 6 months later...

I have a question about the relationship between the shoulders (specially the right shoulder) and the hip slide on the downswing....When I'm sliding or moving laterally toward the left and therefore causing a tilt in my spine, should the right shoulder be moving down toward more toward my right foot rather then out? I've been working on my hip slide and noticed that if I start pushing my right shoulder down, it pushes my hip to start sliding laterally and lets me swing more from the inside. Does this sound correct? 

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, scopek said:

I have a question about the relationship between the shoulders (specially the right shoulder) and the hip slide on the downswing....When I'm sliding or moving laterally toward the left and therefore causing a tilt in my spine, should the right shoulder be moving down toward more toward my right foot rather then out? I've been working on my hip slide and noticed that if I start pushing my right shoulder down, it pushes my hip to start sliding laterally and lets me swing more from the inside. Does this sound correct? 

I can't address feels. If a feel produces the proper mechanics, cool.

You don't want your URC to be tipping down/back, though, so if your right shoulder actually goes down more than it should, that would be the (bad) result: your head would be tipping back, your URC tipping back…

The hip slide is only a few inches.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

But may feel like miles...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I can't address feels. If a feel produces the proper mechanics, cool.

You don't want your URC to be tipping down/back, though, so if your right shoulder actually goes down more than it should, that would be the (bad) result: your head would be tipping back, your URC tipping back…

Ok, thank you. Maybe I should ask, what *should* the path of the right shoulder be as the hips slide? I did a search, but didn't find much. Do you have a link for a YouTube clip from the 5SK's or something else you could recommend? 

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, scopek said:

Ok, thank you. Maybe I should ask, what *should* the path of the right shoulder be as the hips slide? I did a search, but didn't find much. Do you have a link for a YouTube clip from the 5SK's or something else you could recommend? 

It traces an arc. I can't tell you specifically the exact path… it's gonna be different for different players, clubs, etc.

It almost always goes down. It almost always goes out. And it goes away from the target from the top of the backswing until it's traveling only down and out, at which point it begins traveling down, out, and toward the target.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

A while back I made some changes to my swing. I placed more emphasis on keeping my head still and my left side more "post" like. I also started setting my wrist hinge very early. Over the next 6 months my handicap dropped by about 12 strokes.

Needless to say I was very happy with the results. During this journey I also began to hit the ball longer. Not just 5 or 10 yards but closer to about 20 and even more with my driver. I had become a gorilla :-). Not just longer, but straighter as well. The trouble was I had no idea how this extra length and accuracy had come about. I couldn't use the swing changes I had consciously made as the reason for this improvement because these changes evolved over time. I did notice a lateral move had appeared in my swing but I just couldn't quite nail what I was doing. Over time I lost this feeling in my swing and I have been going through a frustrating time ever since. I have managed to hold my handicap but the improvement stopped. That is, until I read the first few pages of this thread about 10 days ago.

It didn't take long for me to realise that what had previously crept into my game naturally was in fact, the hip slide, coupled with being slightly open at impact. The beauty of this thread was that I could now quantify what I had been doing and re-apply it to my swing. I hit about 80 balls at a local sports-ground with a pitching wedge. The improvement was immediate. Two days later I played in the Monthly Medal at my club and won it for the first time!

This thread, along with the "Golf Pitch Shot Technique" thread have really improved my game over the last few weeks. In fact The Sand Trap website has been the best thing to happen to my game in a long time. Thank you all.

Now I just need to read the next 40 pages of this thread!

Edited by Frank62
  • Upvote 1

Well I just finished reading the entire thread and I have to say it's disappointing the way it got hijacked over the last 4 or 5 pages. In spite of that it was well worth a read.

• 1 month later...

Back to the original post..   Very interesting.    I agree.    

I've read a lot about the need to disconnect the hips on the downswing, and rotate them, but to me, this is impossible.  If I'm already rotated all the way I can go in my backswing, there's no way I can rotate my hips on the downswing without rotating my shoulders and therefore coming over the top.   If I rotate my hips before I hit the ball, everything has to disconnect itself for me to stay on plane.  I have to drop the club behind me on the downswing because my hip rotation has caused my shoulders to rotate. 

This afflicts me every time I get on the range and try to get better weight shift.   I wind up turning my hips and coming over the top.  

So especially for me, the senior golfer who has lost some flexibility, the idea of sliding the hips instead of turning them, and having almost square hips and almost square shoulders at impact is absolutely on point.  

42 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

So especially for me, the senior golfer who has lost some flexibility, the idea of sliding the hips instead of turning them, and having almost square hips and almost square shoulders at impact is absolutely on point.

It's been a while since I read the OP, but I'm pretty sure this was not the point of the thread. PGA Tour players average 40° open for the hips and 20° open for the shoulders or something like that.

The thread was to counter the "rotate in a barrel" idea, or the people who believe the golf swing is purely rotational, IIRC. The hips should both slide and rotate in the golf swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, billchao said:

It's been a while since I read the OP, but I'm pretty sure this was not the point of the thread. PGA Tour players average 40° open for the hips and 20° open for the shoulders or something like that.

The thread was to counter the "rotate in a barrel" idea, or the people who believe the golf swing is purely rotational, IIRC. The hips should both slide and rotate in the golf swing.

Right. Square hips and shoulders at impact not a great thing.

Awhile ago I think the OP had some confusing info about that, but it's been corrected for awhile. In the photos of me with the tripod you can see even before impact I'm open to the target line.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Oh, then I did misunderstand.  

My problem has been that in shifting my weight, I tend to rotate my hips prematurely and it causes me to come over the top.   I'm working on fixing that. 

Edited by Marty2019

1 minute ago, Marty2019 said:

My problem has been that in shifting my weight, I tend to rotate my hips prematurely and it causes me to come over the top.   I'm working on fixing that. 

For some people, the feel of driving the hips towards first base can help drive the hips forward while delaying the turn so you don't spin out and come OTT.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

2 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Yea, different feels affect everybody differently. Perhaps feeling like you're keeping your hips square reduces (or delays) the hip rotation so that your upper body is more in sync; I don't know since I've never seen your swing. I feel like my swing is all arms yet there is a lot of hip action in my swing.

If a certain feel works for you, that's great. But the point of this thread is about what is actually happening in a good swing, not what it feels like to those players.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting you, but in my experience getting my hips to open sooner had very positive effects on my path. No pun intended.

Just to the add to the thread, my woes on the hip slide have been numerous.

The roadblocks were my right leg extending and getting "locked" on the back swing which was puzzling because every attempt of hip turning felt like bones jostling back and forth, initially suggesting that I just shouldn't even be doing it. Then later it was fixing a tendency to thrust toward the target line rather than the target. Finally, overcoming my head dropping significantly then rising back up.

If what you are working on helps, don't worry about my reply. There are few things worse to me than swinging left (rabid animals, cherry coke), and if you're avoiding it: good.

• 2 weeks later...