IGNORED

Seeking Alignment Help - the root of all my problems

snowman0157
Note: This thread is 5318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seeking tips for getting properly aligned when playing and can't use an aligment aid (parallel clubs on the ground,etc.).

After several recent rounds where my ballstriking has been very skanky; I checked my alignment at the range today and it is awful; I am probably lined up 20 yds right of my Target; even though when I am over the ball at address it feels to me like I am aimed properly.

I have ongoing issues with bad alignment - aiming right and coming over the top (because apparently my brain knows I am aimed right, even though my eyes lie to me) - usually resulting in a cut/fade/slice or a pull if I don't hold the face open on the downswing.

This problem is very ingrained into my swing; when my timing is right I can play with this and control it, but I'd like to eliminate this so I can release the club better. Seems like I get away with this better with Driver as I can get it in the fairway or close, but this is really killing me with my irons.,, missing greens or leaving myself 40 footers way too often. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Snowman0157

1) visualize the line from your ball to the target.

2) stand with your feet together so they are parallal with that target line.
2a) check to see if your feet are parallal with the target line.

3) with the visual target line move your feet apart
3a) check your alignment with the target line.

4) you are now align to the target line.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Stand behind your ball, draw a mental line between your target and your ball, then find some odd mark (a leaf, a dark spot, a broken tee, ...) in the grass some 2-3 feet in front of your ball and on that same line. Use that and not your "feel" to align correctly.

G.

In my ⬠49.95 bag :

Driver : Euhm... not there yet, but hopefully getting closer
Woods : Superfast Burner 3 Wood 15°
i4-PW : CG GoldGW : 252.08SW : CG12 56°Putter : Rossa Suzuka 35"Balls : Gold FX Long

Snowman, I had the same problem...even after I'd imagine a line from the ball to the target....my correction was the line on the ball. Useing a SHARPIE, I now create a thick dark line, as many do for putting alignment, etc...align that marker line on an object just in front of your ball and to the target down range...I then stand behind the ball, line the club over that marker line looking at the club shaft and visualize the extension from my club head to the target. Line your club up to that line on your ball, THEN its seems easier for me to imagine a parallel line, aka the TRAIN TRACKS, and get my feet in a correct position. I may take a few to get used to as it sure appeared I was extremely left of target...hope this helps.

As everyone has basically said use two parallel lines. If it was me I would go to the range and with string/tape/sticks or whatever to draw 2 lines as long as I can running parallel to each other. Place the ball on the tee. Take a look from behind to make sure the parallel lines are correct. Then step up to and address your ball. Now look over your left shoulder (if you are right handed) and "feel" what the correct alignment should be. Do not hit the ball. Do not hit the ball. Do not hit the ball. Do not hit the ball.
Step out and away and repeat the whole exercise starting from behind the ball again. Do not hit the ball.
Do this 100 times. Go back and repeat the drill again and again until such time as you automatically step into the right address position.
When you think you are ready to start swinging the club do so with a 50% to 75% backswing.
Do this over and over again and as you gain confidence with the knowledge that the ball is going where intended you can increase your swing.
Continually check your alignment to avoid creeping back into your old habit.
I bet you don't do it!

Become a better putter with Putt for Dough putting drills and tips.

Stand behind your ball and find something 3 or 4 feet in front of your ball like a divot or a leaf that is on line with where you are trying to aim and line yourself up with that. It is much easier to line youself up with something 4 feet away then having to pick your head up and look at the hole. It was a tip I saw watching the golf channel from hank haney himself.

This is a very simple and effective method to fix your alignment. Please ignore my handicap (18) when reading this. This is a tip from my brother who is a former teaching pro and a scratch player.

Stand behind the ball before address. Pick out your desired target and run a line from that target to a spot about 6 inches in front of the ball. Then without taking your eyes off of that spot, address the ball and align your clubface to the spot on the ground....once your clubface is square to that spot it is square to your intended target.....simple and effective.....hope this helps.

Most people naturally line up to the right of the target until they learn proper alignment technique. It's the way the eyes see things from the side.

Several others have given you the standard way to line up.

One check I make on occasion: after I align my feet for the shot, I stretch my left arm - fist clenched - straight forward toward the target. If I have a width of one fist between my outstretched left arm and the target, I'm usually straight on.

Give it a try.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm with those who have suggested you pick a spot on the ground in front of the ball to aim through. Aiming by feel and imaginary lines sounds like something that you can mess up easily, especially in a pressured situation. I can not aim with my eyes only looking at the target. I might find the right position once in a while, but consistently? No chance.

That's why I've picked up the alignment through an object on the ground. In fact, on the tee, I don't tee the ball up and then find a spot, I find my spot first, then tee the ball up with a straight line through the object to where I want the ball to start out, so I know I'm aligned properly. I use this on every shot I hit, picking something on the ground. Even use it when putting, as I have just as big trouble with feeling or seeing the line with my eyes only there. A miss by a few centimetres is enough to be off line and miss the cup.

Doing this has definately helped my game, I used to aim too far right all the time.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm going to give you the simplest thing to do it's not even funny. It was given to me by Manuel de la Torre a few years back and makes setting up sooooo much easier.

Most people don't even realize it, but every time you step up to the ball you already have an alignment tool. THE CLUBFACE!

Set the clubface FIRST so that it is square to the target.

Now, set your your body perpendicular to the clubface.

BE VERY CAREFUL to not let the clubface move. One trick to prevent clubface movement is to apply a little bit of pressure down to the ground with the club. But it's absolutely vital that you do not let the clubface move once it's set.

Really that's it. Just remember, clubface first, then body.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Set the clubface FIRST so that it is square to the target.

Yeah, that's great if you can somehow hit the ball perfectly straight every time. If you draw the ball you need to aim the clubface right of the target and if you fade it, left. A shot that starts at the flag and draws left into the bunker is obviously no good.

Plus, most people when told to stand square to the clubface set up closed. "Square" isn't the same to everyone (though with alignment sticks and good practice routines it can at least become correct for individual golfers).

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Note: This thread is 5318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!