IGNORED

Plan of attack for game impovement/equipment purchase: Looking for feedback

brianc
Note: This thread is 5316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone. Looking for your feedback on the following.

I'm a 29 y/o 18 handicapper. Now I started "playing" golf when I was 16 but never took it seriously. I would play once or twice a year and never paractice....I just didn't care for it all that much.

That all changed this year....I have the golf bug and have it bad. I took a few lessons from my brother (former teaching pro) and got myself playing consistently around 90....not bad for my first real season from what I have been told. I have also done this playing with essentially a different set of clubs every round because I don't own my own yet.

I feel very strongly that with the right equipment that is fitted to me and an entire season (next season) of lessons from my bro I can easily drop 8-10 strokes and play to an 8-10 HC.

So in conjunction with the full season of lessons here is the EQ I'm going to get fitted for: R9 or R9 460, R9 3W, 2009 Taylormade 3 Hybrid, 2009 Burners (4-AW) and Vokey 54* and 58*....what are your thoughts?

gonna cost a lot of money for those clubs.. but hey, if you got it and got enough money to custom fit em to you.. go for it, you wont regret it..

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

You're actually lucky, in a way, to play with all those different clubs cause now you have a good idea of what you like and don't like - what works for you and what doesn't. The clubs your looking at are among the best out there, but make sure they're fitted for you (as mentioned above); that's more important than what brand or model it is.

P.S. Don't forget a putter

Playing regularly again after a few years off. Started playing in 1999.
Whats in the bag?
Driver: R7 425 9.5*, Reax 65 shaft
3 Wood: V Steel 13* tour-spoon, M.A.S.^2 shaft
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19*, Dynamic Gold shaft Irons: DCI 762 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold shaftsWedges: Watson VI, 52.08, 56.14,...

You're actually lucky, in a way, to play with all those different clubs cause now you have a good idea of what you like and don't like - what works for you and what doesn't. The clubs your looking at are among the best out there, but make sure they're fitted for you (as mentioned above); that's more important than what brand or model it is.

Hahaha....I won't forget a putter....I promise. After alot of research I narrowed my choices down to what is listed because I want clubs that are forgiving and easy to hit straight and consistent....the fitting is definitely key....shaft type, flex and length (I'm 6' 1'').

Seems like you think I might have the right idea.

Instead of that hybrid you should look into the cobra bafflers. They are really forgiving, long and relatively cheap. The 07 model is $100 and under and I think its the best one of the newer models. Also those burners have really strong lofts so that 4 iron is going to be very much like a 3 iron so maybe get a 2 hybrid instead. Also the r9 460 is much more forgiving than the regular r9. Great choice on the vokey wedges! Hope I helped.

In my Ping bag:
Driver: Titleist 909 D2 9.5*

3 Wood: Nickent Pro
Irons: Titleist AP2 Project x 5.5Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 Series Vokey 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: Scotty Cameron Detour 1 (just ordered it)

gonna cost a lot of money for those clubs.. but hey, if you got it and got enough money to custom fit em to you.. go for it, you wont regret it..

Definitely going to be pricey....I'm actually going to wait 6-8 months....by that time all the 2010 lines will be coming out and the 2009 line prices will drop significantly....

Instead of that hybrid you should look into the cobra bafflers. They are really forgiving, long and relatively cheap. The 07 model is $100 and under and I think its the best one of the newer models. Also those burners have really strong lofts so that 4 iron is going to be very much like a 3 iron so maybe get a 2 hybrid instead. Also the r9 460 is much more forgiving than the regular r9. Great choice on the vokey wedges! Hope I helped.

Thanks for the input....the equipment I end up with will all depend on what is best suited for me through a fitting....I want to try the R9 but realize that the 460 will probably be the better fit.....thanks for the info....I appreciate it.

I'd consider dropping the 4 iron altogether and finding the right combination of 2 hybrids to fill the gap betweeh the 5i and 3w. That's what I did with my older TM irons & hybrids and I don't plan on going back. Hybrids are just so much easier to hit than long irons, particularly out of the rough. Also depending on the actual lofts of the iron set, you might find that there isn't much of a distance gap between the AW and a 54* SW, a 56* & 60* wedge set may produce a better distance spread but it's hard to say without trying them.

Where are you planning on trying clubs? Make sure you at least go somewhere that has a launch monitor, and beware the salesman that is just trying to clear out his old inventory. I'd say at your height you'll want to go +1/2" and maybe a degree or two upright on the irons, along with the right shaft for your swing speed. But beyond that it'll be mostly about what you make most consistent contact with and feels best, along with the results you get from the launch monitor regarding distance and shot shape.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply....will certainly keep it all in mind. As far as the wedges are concerned....the PW is 45* and the AW is 50* so the 54* and 58* should give the setup a nice spacing of 5* 4* and 4*.

I have gone trough the very process you are contemplating, my solution is in my sig. I am very pleased with my choices. The beauty of the '07 metals is they are CHEAP, making the 09 burner irons easier to swallow.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

the set i would recommend for you would be...
driver-r9 with stiff flex-the original model definantly will hit it better and it will teach you to hit a smaller head
5 wood NOT 3 wood- 5 woods are easier to hit that a 3 wood and now a days with all the new technology you dont need a 3 wood
irons-tm burner 3-p GET A 3 IRON if you learn to hit a 3 iron you will be so much better at golf. do you know any player less than 5 hcp index that cant hit a long iron
wedges-vokeys all spin milled 52,56,60
putter- what ever you like

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

the set i would recommend for you would be...

A. Really so you can magically say he needs a stiff shaft? Should have recommended loft as well while you where at it. Why would he care to hit a smaller head? It's not purely a marketing scheme that head size makes a difference in forgiveness. B. Once again I disagree, 3 woods are a great driver replacement and if your swing mechanics are solid no easier or harder to hit than a 5 wood. You could have told him to try a 4 wood instead of saying 3 woods are obsolete. C. Once again wrong and contradicting, you state he should stay away from a 3 wood because its "hard" to hit but leave a 3 iron in the bag which is 100 times harder to hit. He might be much better suited with the forgiveness and versatility of a 20-22 degree hybrid. I have seen plenty of low indexes not game a 3 iron and play hybrids (most of the champions tour to be exact) and a bunch of people on here as well. Oh and lets not forget the reigning PGA champ hit a 3 hybrid stiff on the 72nd hole over a tree. The lowest iron he carried that week was a 5. D. Considering the jacked up lofts on the burners you might be better suited by a 50, 54, 58. But then again wedges are specialty clubs so go with whatever works. Now that I got that out of the way. I recommend for you to try everything out from blades to super GI irons same thing with the driver, wedges, putter and see what suits your eye and game the best. It is going to be a large purchase so being open minded about your selection is my best advice.

In my all black Four 5:
909 D2 9.5 Harrison Saga 60 X
909 F2 13.5 Harrison Saga 70 X
909 H 19 Stock VooDoo S
AP2 710 3-PW Project X 6.5 Spin Milled C-C 54 & 58 California Del Mar Penta SYNR-G 1600 TEHomecourse(s): Crandon GC 76.2/145/7301

A. Really so you can magically say he needs a stiff shaft? Should have recommended loft as well while you where at it. Why would he care to hit a smaller head? It's not purely a marketing scheme that head size makes a difference in forgiveness.

a. i say stiff because it is much more accurate and easier to control. and if you want me to il say a loft il say 9.5 because you have to open the r9 up 1 knotch because it is naturally closed 1 degree so a 9.5 will becomea a 10.5 and with a stiff shaft he will most likely need more loft. i say the smaller head because it will teach you to hit the smaller sweet spot of the driver more consistantly.

b. i say 5 wood because the wood is supposed to be a safty club. i know so many good golfers that cant hit a 3 wood but hit their 5 wood great but if you really want to be argumentitive wel say a 4 wood c. ya obviously keep a 3 iron in the bad. it is good to hit it on occasion plus that is why you have a 5 wood. because a 5 woods is 19 degrees it can be hit whenever you dont feel confortable with a 3 iron. it would make you so much better if you could hit a 3 iron. like they say longer clubs are harder to control and if you can control the longer clubs like a 3 iron think about how good it will make you with short clubs. d. actually the burners are standard lofts the pitching wedge is a 47 degree so getting 52,56,60 is no better than getting 50, 54,58. actually i think the 52 56 60 is better because you have more range of lofts and that means that they player doesnt have to vary the swing as much to hit the ball short. you act like i was saying he has to buy these clubs. this is just what i feel will benifit him the most in his golfing career not just this season. there is no reason for you to critique my game, i was taught to hit a long iron and i make a tun of birdies with my short irons now. my tip learn to hit long irons and when you have a short iron you will be able to score this game is about hitting it consistantly and it you can hit a 3iron consistant than you will be good

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

a. i say stiff because it is much more accurate and easier to control. and if you want me to il say a loft il say 9.5 because you have to open the r9 up 1 knotch because it is naturally closed 1 degree so a 9.5 will becomea a 10.5 and with a stiff shaft he will most likely need more loft. i say the smaller head because it will teach you to hit the smaller sweet spot of the driver more consistantly.

A. Politely disagree, not knowing his launch, spin rate, angle of attack it is impossible for you to say he would benefit from a 9.5 or 10.5 or a stiff shaft. Go check out the recent fitting of Joba Chamberlaing dude swings 120mph and was fitted into a 13 degree because of his swing profile.

B. Ill disagree with your opinion on the 3 wood again, but ill agree in suggesting a 4 wood. C. Disagree again, basically carry two clubs for the same distance just incase you don't feel comfortable hitting one (what an obvious reason to keep it in the bag... ) ? Why not go ahead and turn that 3 iron into a hybrid that gives you tons of versatility. Also 5 woods aren't necessarily 19 degrees. Regardless of 3 iron or not taking into consideration the lofts on the burner set he might have to try different set ups out in order to fill his yardage gap properly between driver and longest iron he choses to carry. Wont even address the being able to hit long iron rambling. D. Again you are incorrect, go to the taylormade website (if this source isn't good enough http://www.productwiki.com/taylormade-burner-irons/ ) and look up the burner irons and you will find out that the PW is 45 which in turn makes it jacked up. E. Basically just disagreed with everything you originally said since it's entirely contradicting (which you chose to do again in your anti 3 wood and pro 3 iron rambling) and felt the need to point it out. I did not critique your personal game in any way since I've never seen you play, just critiqued your suggestions to the op.

In my all black Four 5:
909 D2 9.5 Harrison Saga 60 X
909 F2 13.5 Harrison Saga 70 X
909 H 19 Stock VooDoo S
AP2 710 3-PW Project X 6.5 Spin Milled C-C 54 & 58 California Del Mar Penta SYNR-G 1600 TEHomecourse(s): Crandon GC 76.2/145/7301

wow...that's extremely close to the set that I'm about to purchase. same irons, R9 3 and 5 wood, Callaway FT-IQ driver, itsy bitsy Monza putter, verdicts still out on wedges and hybrid.

The burners are in fact strong lofted clubs....45 PW....50 AW....the only wedge setup that makes sense is either 45 50 54 58 or 45 50 55 60.....

Burner 3iron is 19*.....as is the hybrid I'm looking at.....I can already hit a 3Iron.....but prefer a hybrid.....

9.5 stiff might be spot on considering I now hit a 9.5 stiff 2008 Tour burner and hit it very well.....about 265-275....
might be an 18 Hc but am not a hack.....just a beginner....my scoring is getting better every time i play....

......don't argue guys......be merry.....

A. Politely disagree, not knowing his launch, spin rate, angle of attack it is impossible for you to say he would benefit from a 9.5 or 10.5 or a stiff shaft. Go check out the recent fitting of Joba Chamberlaing dude swings 120mph and was fitted into a 13 degree because of his swing profile.

Hey, I would have to agree with the above, just been to loads of demo/fitting days recently and this is the general advice I've received from the pros: (Nothing personal meant...just my honest opinion)

A: To know exactly what you need...get fitted. But there's a huge craze with the high-lofted drivers for beginners/GI drivers atm...since it creates more backspin, which reduces sidespin...hence, straighter shots. Also more airtime for those with slower swing speeds/imperfect technique...hence more distance. There are loads of articles online too...about how generally more people would benefit from higher lofted drivers than not. Keep that in mind when selecting a driver. (Also try out some square head drivers...though they may be more on the SGI side). As for stiff/regular...depends on swing speed and technique...since you're looking for GI, I think regular is best. B: I agree with above (consider a 4-wood)...although the 3-wood is probably the MOST important club in the bag today...arguably more important than even a driver, since it is such a versatile club. It is almost as long as a driver, whilst much more accurate. It can be used both off a tee and off the deck with relative ease. In fact, I would say with today's tech, a 5-wood is obsolete, the hybrid being it's much more effective replacement. My opinion...there's no replacement for a 3-wood. It's better than a 4-wood. C: My lowest iron is a 5-iron, I replaced the 4-iron with a 23* hybrid. Although I was advised by many to keep the 4-iron and add a 19/20* 3-hybrid as a 3-iron substitute, I decided to go with the 4-hybrid instead. Why? I'd rather have the ease of use of the 4...and sacrifice the little distance lost...and hit a SW rather than LW...or a PW rather than SW for the approach...basically one club higher lofted onto the green. At least I'm on the fairway...and haven't mishit the shot. Not much benefit to be had from having the 3-iron hitting ability in the bag these days...imho. I would actually add that a 3-iron is (almost) obsolete too...with many pros opting to leave it out and replace it with the hybrid. Hybrids, like 460cc drivers, cavity back irons...are a major tech breakthrough...goodbye long irons. D: Burner lofts are jacked up.

Note: This thread is 5316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!