IGNORED

How did you make breakthroughs?

royemunson
Note: This thread is 5316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day who is at the point where he's ready to break 90.

We were kind of discussing some of the elements a lot of which had to do with just some mental barriers of reaching that point.

I'm curious to find out what elements helped any of you break those barriers whether it be a score, a consistency, etc...?

I know for me when I broke 80 for the first time it had a lot to do with just a few little things here or there or not breaking down at the wrong time.

Joe

biggest breakthrough:

picturing freddy couples swing when i have driver in hand.

i used to have a really bad tendency to slice the ball and/or power fade it.

the way freddy takes his backswing and then drops his shoulder to create the inside to outside swing path really helped me and it was my breakthrough moment, gave me a draw shot shape. then lessons fixed the short game.

in my TMX T2 Bag

R9 460 TP 10.5* Motore F1 Stiff
Burner 3w 15*
09 Rescue 19* 2009 Burner 4-PW + GW (FST KBS shafts) TP Wedges, 54/60 Newport 2 Pro V1

having a consistent putter and short game will keep your score low even when your not hitting it well.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Course management......
The realisation that I wasn't Seve and couldn't hit a 3 wood out of heavy rough and hit a green 230 yards away whilst carrying a lake at the same time.
Course management, together with a good chipping action (practice, practice, practice) will get you down quicker than anything else.

Oh and being a reasonable putter helps.

In the bag......
Driver: Ping G10 10.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
3 wood: Ping G10 15.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
5 wood: Ping G10 18.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
Hybrids: Ping i15 20 degree AWT regular (on order!)4-PW: Ping i15 AWT regularGap Wedge: Ping Tour-W 50/12 AWT regular (on order!)Sand Wedge:...

I started to break 80, once I found a way to play a reliable ball flight. If you can find a way to "know" what your shot is going to do, it eliminates most of your big scores. i.e you can choose which side of the fairway or green to aim at knowing it will draw or fade back into the middle.

Then with a solid chipping game and lots of putting practice, regularly breaking 80 is very reachable. You don't have to be a world class putter but someone who can get the long putts (20-40 footers) close and don't miss too many short ones, (3 and 4 footers).

Now I am trying to figure out how to break 70? Any ideas on that one?

PING G10 : 10.5*, TFC129 : Stiff - 44"
PING G10 : 15* and 18* : Grafalloy Blue - Stiff - 42 1/2"
PING G10 : 3 Hybrid : Grafalloy Blue - Stiff
Mizuno : MP Fli Hi 4 Iron - DGS300
Mizuno : MP 60 : 5-PW - DGS300Callaway Tour Wedges : 52*and 58*Wilson PutterGoals : Get to the next level. Stuck on a...

Tiger Woods 10 on the 360

In the bag......
Driver: Ping G10 10.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
3 wood: Ping G10 15.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
5 wood: Ping G10 18.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
Hybrids: Ping i15 20 degree AWT regular (on order!)4-PW: Ping i15 AWT regularGap Wedge: Ping Tour-W 50/12 AWT regular (on order!)Sand Wedge:...

Here's how I see it go and this is how I see it for myself. The following are 18 hole scores.

120: Just picked up clubs

100: Understand the game. Putt decently enough (So you think.) Everything up to the green is spray and pray.

90: Have decreased the inconsistency in your long game. Putting and Chipping is now better.

(This is where I am) 85: Learned your swing sucked. Took video or a lesson. Now don't have to worry too much about the Tee and placing it near/in the fairway. Putting, Pitching and Chipping are all skills you're familiar with.

80: Further inconsistency removed from the swing. Practice Practice Practice. Hazard play has become reliable.

75: Consistency, Practice, Chipping, Hazard Play, Accuracy with Irons from any type of grass.

Scratch: More of the same, better course management.

70 and Beyond: Ability to take risks and win. Longer drives to get to scoring clubs faster. PUTTING!

That's how I see it. It will likely be a different path for everyone. Like for me 3 months ago when I started I would say my stats were:

Score: 105
Driving - 2/10
Irons - 2/10
Wedges - 3/10
Chipping - 3/10
Putting - 5/10

After retooling my entire swing 2 weeks ago
Score: 88
Driving - 7/10
Irons - 6/10
Pitching - 6/10
Chipping - 5/10
Putting - 7/10

Here's how I see it go and this is how I see it for myself. The following are 18 hole scores.

breaking 80- stop losing balls, hit more greens and get up and down 50% of the time. dont miss gimmes

breaking 75- dont ever lose balls make birdies fairly often, dont miss putts inside 5 feet. leave youself inside 30 feet from everypin breaking par-make more birdies than bogies, know when to attack the pins and when to go for the fat par of the green. at this point of the game its all mental, think good thaughts. know when to play for birdie and know when do kick it into the next gear breaking 70-dont miss putts inside 10 feet make alot of birdies, hit between 14-16 greens, get up and down

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

biggest breakthrough:

+100000 I just started droping that shoulder vs the baseball swing. Really helping me stay straight off the tee box

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great posts. I like the one on Fred Couples. I used to try and mimick his swing as well. I love how he hesitates at the top. I always thought he hid a fade though??

For me I remember just getting into a mental groove which helped me get off the tee well then hit solid second shots. Plus when i hit a bad shot to manage my shots and play solid instead of gambling.

Then just focusing on my short game and putting to ensure no 3 putts. Using the techniques I learned to get the ball to/near the whole to make sure I at least leave with a par and yes hitting one putts/getting up and down.

Haven't broken 70 yet - that will take some birdies.

Joe

having a consistent putter and short game will keep your score low even when your not hitting it well.

this is true. I still wouldn't call myself a consistent driver of the golf ball, but my breakthrough came with a little left wrist tweak and a swinging outside to in.

I shot an 83 the other day (and for the better part of the year I was in the mid 90's) The wrist adjustment, as well as playing the ball a little back in my stance has really helped me strike the ball better.

My most recent breakthroughs came by:

_extending my thumb a slight bit further down the shaft

_setting up with right shoulder slightly lower

_reduce backswing length

_smooth tempo

_occasionally, I'll even excercise improved course mangagement instead of going balls out
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Another major breakthrough I've come to face in my golf game right now, is controlling myself mentally when I have a bad hole.

If I played a round of golf right now without dunking an easy 8 iron into the green into the water on my 2nd shot (my scoring irons are practically automatic), or duffing my 1st bunker shot, but putting my 2nd shot a foot from the hole, I'd probably be shooting low 80's every time I went out.

However, forgetting about those terrible holes is the only way I can play good golf. I've yet to figure out how to do that and just not care about them. So basically, I look at it like this. If I don't *have* any big problems on the course one day, I'll shoot low 80's. If I have a triple bogey, even one of them, I'll end up shooting mid 90's. Pretty sad.

I looked at it this way when i was trying to break 90. Pretty simple just five a hole dont worry about par or anythiing else just five a hole that is 90 realize that getting a bogey isn't the end of the world acually for someone try to break 90 thats a good score to break 80 it was just trying to get more pars than bogey's and not getting too upset with bad shots. bad shots you can recover from one bad one and one great one can still make par. Thats what worked for me maybe it can help you

learning to use a lob wedge around the green and how to get out of the sand the right way were my first break throughs. My recent one was adding a line to a ball and ALWAYS marking my ball on the green, then lining the line on the ball up with where I was aimed when I set it down. I mean meticulously doing so, not just kinda in the direction, exactly well placed and precisely set there. Then, when you're over the ball you just line up the line of your putter with the line on the ball and you have one less thing to worry about because you know you're aimed correctly. Thinking about a smooth stroke and how hard to hit it ONLY as opposed to both of those AND if I am aimed right save(s) me probably 5-6 strokes per 18, maybe more.

Note: This thread is 5316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!