IGNORED

12* Driver

NormH3
Note: This thread is 5289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seems like alot of people in the know here, so thought I would ask. I have never been able to hit driver very well at all although I don't do too badly with my 15* 3W. A little inconsistant at times, but hopefully with playing and practice that should get better. From what I can tell, the average driver has a 10.5* loft, but I am wondering if going to 12* would be a good idea for someone like myself. I much prefer control over distance (I'm not trying to qualify for the tour...I play for fun and excercise) but it would be nice to have something in the bag that can reach a bit further..assuming I can hit it. I have yet to even try one of the 460cc drivers, and perhaps that will help solve my problem.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Seems like alot of people in the know here, so thought I would ask. I have never been able to hit driver very well at all although I don't do too badly with my 15* 3W. A little inconsistant at times, but hopefully with playing and practice that should get better. From what I can tell, the average driver has a 10.5* loft, but I am wondering if going to 12* would be a good idea for someone like myself. I much prefer control over distance (I'm not trying to qualify for the tour...I play for fun and excercise) but it would be nice to have something in the bag that can reach a bit further..assuming I can hit it. I have yet to even try one of the 460cc drivers, and perhaps that will help solve my problem.

Hey I made a post on a similar thread (tweaked a little):

Square driver 11* regular flex. I doubt you will grow out of that for a long time. Square Driver = v.high MOI...it's a SGI driver if you will...I doubt it's much shorter in distance than the comparable regular version...either way...I'd take the more frequently hit fairways over distance into the rough. 11* = check out some articles online...but high degree lofts seem to be the best thing for high-handicappers/new golfers. (a) High loft creates more backspin which reduces sidespine...hence, more fairways. (b) High loft provides more air time...good for those with slower swing speeds/imperfect swings...hence, more distance for less skilled/slower swinging golfers. I would go for 11* over 12* - mainly because you have a 15* 3-wood, so 11* may be the better option to keep a good gap in lofts. Also most manufacturers make drivers in 0.5* increments. But after 11.5* I've noticed a general jump to 13*...which may be a little on the high-side for a driver. Also you run the risk of "growing-out" of a 13* driver much quicker than you do an 11.5*...personally, when I improve, I would sooner change the shaft to a stiff version rather than the loft of my driver . I see 13* as a strong 3-wood for someone with for example an 8* or 9* driver...?? Regular flex = more distance and generally higher launch for slower swingers etc...I wouldn't switch to a stiff flex shaft unless you have a really high swing speed/v. good technique Best advice is to try out a (i) 460cc driver (ii) Square vs Regular head (iii) 11.5* and 12/13* my 2 cents...hope it helps!

Thanks for the input. My only problem with square head clubs is that I find them a bit ugly. Perhaps if I try a few, I can convince myself otherwise.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Look into a MacGregor 12.5* NVG2 3 metal. Its a capped head so its pretty forgiving and b/c its MacGergor it will be very affordable, (great quality, but just wasn't that well recieved). I have one and I hit it almost as far as my 10.5* driver. Oh, IMO the shaft that comes with it, the tri flex shaft is weak so I reshafted mine with a Graphalloy ProLaunch Platnuim and it works very well.

Or just find a strong 3 metal which will be 12.5* to 14*.

I was thinking about going to a higher loft driver about a year ago, because I could hit my 3 wood so much better than my 10.5 degree driver. I ended up hitting quite a few drivers, and found that the fix for me was actually going the other way. I now hit a 9.5 degree driver, and if you'd have asked me a year ago if I wanted a 9.5, I'd have laughed at you. My drives now are piercing and long, never more than 25-30ft off the ground, but I picked up so much distance, and it seems keeping the ball lower fixed a lot of problems with my drives, or at least doesn't show them as bad.

May not work for you, but at least go demo some different drivers before you go up on the loft.

Note: This thread is 5289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!