IGNORED

The Massachusetts thread

jamo
Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you live in MA or used to, talk about some of your favorite courses, home courses etc... or whatever

i live in Hopkinton (where the Boston marathon starts) and some of my favorite courses are Cyprian Keyes (Boylston, looking to become a member next year), George Wright (Boston), Highfields (Grafton), and Juniper Hills (Northboro). Although, as a high schooler, i am often relegated to playing bad courses such as Pinecrest (Holliston), St Marks (Southboro) and Westboro CC (Westboro).
I also play for my High School and in New England PGA tour events so i get to play courses like Framingham CC (Framingham), and TPC Boston (Norton).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm from Seekonk. Favorite courses in MA that I have played are CC of New Bedford, Duxbury Yacht club, Wyantenuck CC, Red Tail GC, Blue Hills CC, Pine Hills (Nicklaus course), Fall River CC (Half the holes), and Farm Neck on Martha's Vineyard. I play mostly golf in RI though.

Driver: Titleist 905R 9.5 UST V2
3-wood: Ping TiSi 15*
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP-30
Wedges: 52* Cleveland CG12, 58* Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Ping Lil' C belly putterBall: Pro V1xwww.crestwoodcc.org

i play at cyprian. put up a 71 there yesterday. but i love playing at tatnuck cc its private but i play there alot. its so easy to score there

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

I like RedTail in devens. I used to have the low round for the back 9, not sure if I do anymore... 31.

Pinehills is awesome, but I like rees jones a bit more.

Shaker Hills is OK. Butternut Farms is challenging IMO. I hate stow acres.

The season is too short in MA unfortunately.

First round of golf I ever played was at Miacomet GC on Nantucket. They recently renovated all of the original 9, i can't wait to get back there.

I got in a round at Waverly Oaks, which is set to close this month (if it hasn't already). I'm pretty sad about that.

Other than that I have only played some of the mediocre layouts. Far corner was my home course last year. Bradford CC was a quirky little track, but I've heard bad things about its conditions this year. The Middleton Par 3 course off 114 is a fun little course.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Ive played far corner i thought it was pretty nice layout. I forgot to mention Pleasant Valley, i don't know how i forgot that one.

Driver: Titleist 905R 9.5 UST V2
3-wood: Ping TiSi 15*
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP-30
Wedges: 52* Cleveland CG12, 58* Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Ping Lil' C belly putterBall: Pro V1xwww.crestwoodcc.org

• 4 years later...
Hello. I am a 33 year old Army veteran. I am from Southeast MA and just started playing golf last summer (2013). I average low 90's and just starting to put things together. I am looking to meet a few people local to me to play with this year. I usually play at Acushnet River Valley, The Whale, Rochester, Bungay Brook, and other courses within an hour of New Bedford. If anyone in the area would like to find a new person to add to their group or league let me know. Thanks, Frank

I am in Woburn.  My favorite courses that I play a lot are Hickory Hill and Trull Brook. Red Tail is nice, but pricey.  My mid level courses are Far Corner, Scottish Highlands (Southern NH), Sagamore Lynnfield, Sagamore Hampton (NH).  Lower on the scale are Amesbury, Bradford, Merrimack Valley, Hillview, Woburn CC (well maintained but only a 9 hole).

I played Kettlebrook in Paxton for the first time last summer.  Nice course and hilly.  Also, I have played The Oaks in Somersworth, NH just once.  That was nice.

RI courses: Meadowbrook, Exeter and Laural Lane.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Red tail and pinehills are some of my favorite courses in this area. Although pricey, they are worth it. The jones course in definitely a different ride. I am from Boston though so I tend to stay out here more often. Usuals are franklin park, braintree muni, south shore cc. If anyone is near the city, you have to check out granite links in quincy. Place is beaitfiul. Even if you don't play, the course is on an old quarry and is one of highest elevations around Boston. The view of the skyline is incredible.

If things work out, I'll be moving to the Worcester area soon, which is where my wife is from.  I've played Blackstone National, which is about 5 minute from the in-law's house.  I've also played Kettlebrook, Pinehills, Ponkapoag (sp?), and Highfields.

Kettlebrook and Highfields were really nice and I'd definitely play there again.  I played Blackstone and Pinehills out of season so they weren't in the best shape but you could tell they were great courses.  Ponkapoag was easily the worst course I've ever seen.

All of the courses @wils5150 mentioned are in that same area and I hope to try them, too.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

If things work out, I'll be moving to the Worcester area soon, which is where my wife is from.  I've played Blackstone National, which is about 5 minute from the in-law's house.  I've also played Kettlebrook, Pinehills, Ponkapoag (sp?), and Highfields.   Kettlebrook and Highfields were really nice and I'd definitely play there again.  I played Blackstone and Pinehills out of season so they weren't in the best shape but you could tell they were great courses.  Ponkapoag was easily the worst course I've ever seen.   All of the courses @wils5150 mentioned are in that same area and I hope to try them, too.

Yeah, Ponkapoag sucks. :-D They overcharge and then seemingly don't put any money into upkeep. Shining Rock is at @wils5150 mentioned is in Northbridge, a bit south and east of Worcester. That's a pretty great course. Cyprian Keyes is north or Worcester, also pretty good. The only one I can think of that you hasn't been mentioned is New England CC in Bellingham. Never player there, but I've heard good things.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah, Ponkapoag sucks. They overcharge and then seemingly don't put any money into upkeep.

Shining Rock is at @wils5150 mentioned is in Northbridge, a bit south and east of Worcester. That's a pretty great course.

Cyprian Keyes is north or Worcester, also pretty good.

The only one I can think of that you hasn't been mentioned is New England CC in Bellingham. Never player there, but I've heard good things.

I was looking at shining rock the other day because its sort of between the in-laws (Sutton) and where I may end up working.  Whenever my wife mentions a town as a possible place to live I immediately look for reasonably priced golf in the area.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Butternut Farms (Stow), Blissful Meadows (Uxbridge), River Bend (Bridgewater), Old Scotland Links (Bridgewater), Poquoy Brook (Lakeville) and Wentworth Hills are all good course that aren't too expensive if you play them at the right times.  You might also try South Shore CC (Hingham) as it's pretty challenging too, especially for a town owned course.  Stay away from Maplegate though - although it was built as a championship course it's not kept in the best shape, they still haven't built a clubhouse after at least 15 years and it's way over priced.

Butternut Farms (Stow), Blissful Meadows (Uxbridge), River Bend (Bridgewater), Old Scotland Links (Bridgewater), Poquoy Brook (Lakeville) and Wentworth Hills are all good course that aren't too expensive if you play them at the right times.  You might also try South Shore CC (Hingham) as it's pretty challenging too, especially for a town owned course.  Stay away from Maplegate though - although it was built as a championship course it's not kept in the best shape, they still haven't built a clubhouse after at least 15 years and it's way over priced.

I worked at South Shore CC as a houseboy back in 1975.  I was 15!  Set up and broke down weddings, waited on tables, cleaned everything, bar tended once.  Hated that job.  Saved enough money to buy a Gibson Les Paul Sunburst!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Someone should fact check me on this, but I'm pretty sure Pleasant Valley CC in Sutton is public now. I got to play there a few years ago, and it's a pretty great course. I'm hoping to play there at least once this year. They went bankrupt a few years ago and the guy who owns Highfields bought it.

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!