IGNORED

MacGreggor sale at Golfsmith

Note: This thread is 5277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you guys think of MacGreggor clubs? They are on closeout at Golfsmith, and I am seriously tempted to take advantage. It would complete my set (I plan to drop my 3 and 4 irons and use only a 23* hybrid to fill the void between 5w and 5i). I have hit the MacGreggor Hybrids, and I hit them OK. They appeal to my eye and I make pretty good contact with them. The shafts are a little shorter than I expect out of a Hybrid but I suppose that doesn't matter much.

http://www.golfsmith.com/display/?pa...ffer_macgregor

Also considering a gap wedge and a lob wedge, also 2 for $100. Getting a whole new set of irons/hybrids/wedges on the cheap is tempting as well, but probably a bit overkill especially since I love my current irons.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

I play the Mac Pro MT combos with some MT pro DW wedges and they are the bees knees for me. Bought the irons on ebay for $300 shipped and paid $110 for the 2 wedges. Good deal if you ask me.

My wife hits a #6 hybrid and it seems to be a very nice club, I like the design. It is certainly a proud name in golf history. (The sailboats, not so much!)

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Fantastic buy IMO. I still have the MacGregor 1025M V-Foils and they're wonderful irons. MacGregor have been making great irons for ages and you could do a lot worse than get them. MacGregor don't have the cachet of Mizuno, Titleist et al anymore but they're easily as good.

Might be tempted myself if I hadn't just re-shafted my irons!

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was also curious about the newest line of MacGreggors i heard they were bought out by golfsmith and was hoping that wouldn't affect quality. I did read somewhere that the faces a prone to rusting how true this is I'm not sure.

Titleist 14 way stand bag
Driver: Titleist 910 D3
3wood: Titleist 910f
hybrid: Ping I20
4-Gw: Ping I20

56 Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM4

60 Wedge: Cleveland CG10

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Fastback

What do I think of MacGregor clubs? I have been golfing for about 17 years now, I have tried several clubs, including all the latest forgings that come out each year by Mizuno, Titleist, etc. and I have NEVER hit a better cavity back iron than the PCB Tours I am gaming right now.

I also own two sets of Mizunos - MP-14 and MP Grad. I won't switch back to the 14s until I get near scratch. I love my Macs way too much. Absolutely great feel and control.

I am unfamiliar with the post Golfsmith acquired Mac products, but if they are as good as the older stuff, you cannot go wrong.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

i bought a set of MacGreggor MT pro-m irons (blades) in the gun metal this summer, off of ebay, and i have to say, i love them. I will say that they but a high price on making solid contact but other than that they are a great set of clubs, if you want a good set of clubs weather you get the blades or combo set i would get them, last time i was in golf smith i think they were like 300 or a shade under, for that price its hard to say no to a good set, and it wont break the bank

9* DYMO Str8fit- ust stiff
X 19* 5wood stock
Boxer 20* reg shaft
MT Pro-M gunmetal TT Dynamic Gold S300
52.6 oil 56.6 oil 60.4 oil Newport Beach 303pro-v1/ Pentawww.lantanagolf.com

MacGregor made the best iron for the money. I've never hit their hybrids. I have MacGregor 91, PW, GW, and SW. I love the feel, workability, and forgiveness of these clubs.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I wouldn't put MacGregor's in play even if Golfsmith was giving them away.......

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I wouldn't put MacGregor's in play even if Golfsmith was giving them away.......

That is fine because I have never thought Titleist made a good iron - save for the Hoffman forged blades that Tiger used. To each his own.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

That is fine because I have never thought Titleist made a good iron - save for the Hoffman forged blades that Tiger used. To each his own.

Luckily I like 'em both. I'm gaming Titleists now, but I had a set of MacGregor MT Pro Ms this summer. Great sticks, but I gave to my brother as a present, and now I miss 'em. If I get good news on a job later this week I might pick up a set of the MT Pro Cs.

Gotta love people ragging on companies without giving an explanation why they don't like it. Unless you have a legit reason to dislike these clubs keep your posts to yourself.

Titleist 14 way stand bag
Driver: Titleist 910 D3
3wood: Titleist 910f
hybrid: Ping I20
4-Gw: Ping I20

56 Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM4

60 Wedge: Cleveland CG10

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Fastback

Gotta love people ragging on companies without giving an explanation why they don't like it. Unless you have a legit reason to dislike these clubs keep your posts to yourself.

Good advice!

In a navy blue Vintage L8 stand bag
Big Bertha 454
Muirfield 20th 2 iron
Vip Tour CB-92 3-PW
by Macgregor Greg Norman Forged FW Special 55 BeCuTad Moore TM-2 Milled putter AD333/Trispeed

Nice avatar ^^^^ MacGregor has been making club since the beginning of time. I could not believe the tragic news when I heard they were being sold off to Golfsmith. I mean, c'mon, all the greats used to play Macs! Nicklaus and Weiskopf to name a couple. So sad.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Thanks for the input guys, had no idea there was still so much love for MacGreggor and am glad to hear it. Pretty set on getting the 3 and 4 hybrids for $100, such an unbelievable deal for a hybrid that is pretty easy to hit.

I am now down to Cleveland, HiPPO, and Mac wedges now. Gotta get some new wedges before they are no longer made with sharp grooves. Every used wedge I have seen in the golf shops have worn down grooves and it's just going to get worse with time.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

• 2 weeks later...
I have to eat my words in my OP, but I am VERY intrigued by the MacGreggor MT Forged irons. I swung the 6 iron with the Nippon shaft and it feels so much better than my current CG Gold irons. Also the swing weight is less with the Nippon/MT Forged irons and I actually liked the lighter feel in comparison to my current irons. They look better to me as well. The shape of the clubhead is just beautiful IMO.

Anyone play these irons? I think any of the "pro" irons are going to be a bit too too hard for my handicap, but I think I can play the MT Forged irons pretty well if they were handed to me.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

I have played Macgregor irons for 30 plus years. I have made a living with them at times throughout my life. Macgregor designs and grinds all their irons in Albany, Georgia. Their irons were usually forged by Hoffman. They have also utilized Muira and Endo in Japan. The Mac MT's currently being sold were forged in China, which is certainly a break from tradition. I have hit them, and read many reviews and all seems very good to me. This is the case with all Macgregor irons, they all hit very solid and are accurate clubs. At the price you can buy them for on Ebay you will not find a better set of quality forged clubs for your money, not to mention the look of the club is gorgeous.

Titleist 909D2- Diamani Blue, 909F3-Diamani Blue
Macgregor PCB Tour - Miura forged 3-PW (Nippon 1150, soft stepped)
Macgregor Tourney Don White Custom Wedges 52,56,60
Bettinardi m5
Bridgeston B330SSkycaddie 4

Note: This thread is 5277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!