IGNORED

so how often you put money on the line when golfing? :)

golfdad
Note: This thread is 5018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't understand the deal about who goes first? I play with a couple of established groups where there is a small buy in and each foursome goes through the routine of establishing tee order for the first tee (after that it goes to honors). Why do you need to do that? I don't see where it matters one way or the other. I guess it's more a tradition thing than anything else.

I don't know why we do this or who started it. We don't play honors because we're not that formal. It's more for the older guys because they seriously can't remember who goes.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

Everytime I'm matched up with a 30 plus handicapper and we play scratch.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

My favortite game is everybody throw in 20 and we 'll play 6-6-6 and skins

What is 6-6-6? Is that the devil's golf game?

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Almost always. We mostly play "sixes" a game where you are partnered with everyone in your foursome for six holes. I'm sure you know it. $20 a man with $ 2 or 5 junk. I have played in a few drunken scrambles 4 vs 4 for $50 a man, playing as an eight-some. It is nice to have days when the course is closed to the membership cause I know most clubs wont allow an 8 some out there with 2 30-packs on a regular day lol.

905R 9.5* driver
R7 15* 3-wood
G5 19* hybrid
2010 AP2 Irons 3 - PW
256-10 56* 260-04 60* Newport studio stainless 308 ProV1x ball SG5

Always.

Amounts vary, but a $10 match play Nassau is a favorite against a single opponent. Any number of different games in a group.

It's not really about the money. I'd rather win $10 from one of my golf buddies than find a $100 bill on the ground!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it's not really about the money. I'd rather win $10 from one of my golf buddies than find a $100 bill on the ground!

so true!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

The only way to really get better it to play against people that can beat you. If that means donating for a while, it's worth it in the long run, because one of two things are going to happen. 1. you get tired of donating so you quite gambling and find anther group to play with, or 2) you get tired of donating and learn how to manage your game better so you can turn things around and start winning.

There is one guy in particular we play with and he donates most of the time. His swing is not very good, but he can move the ball and hit some decent shots. To this day he will not play smart. He always wants to hit driver even when he can't control it, and he more importantly, he lets it really bother him. Usually, one bad drive and his whole round is ruined. I've tried to give him some friendly advice, but he is hard headed and won't listen.. so as long as he keeps donating, I'll keep playing with him.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

i only do it on nice courses. probably once a month.

Driver Tour Burner 10.5 NV stiff shaft
r7 limited 9.5 ozik shaft
3 wood 906f4 proforce v2 stiff
2hybrid Rescue Tour Launch
3hybrid Dual HybridIrons 4-pw CCI forged S300Sand 56* CG14 WedgeLob Vokey 260.06Putter VP1 putterBall: HX Tour/used pro V1

I play in the blitz every Saturday. They have captains that pick players to form their teams until all players are picked. Teams take the two lowest individual scores on each hole as their team score. They play front, back, and overall along with individual scats. Cost to enter is $20.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

• 9 months later...
would love to hear some stories....

My buddies and I normally play team match play for 5 dollars each 9 and for drinks at the end of each 9. We have a blast.

would love to hear some stories....

I play for $$$ as often as possible. I am a firm believer that all bets are "Won & Lost" on the first tee. If you make good bets and are confident in your abilities you can win a ton of money on the course. The key for me is to not set people up, but let them think more of their abilities, then they will choke. I also believe the "Pressure is self induced". By this I mean that the only pressure you can have is what you put on yourself. So don't make a bet you only have a small chance to win. Just like you would not make a shot that had a small percentage of success. Or maybe you would, but I have learned to get out of trouble then do the best I can from there.

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

I'll play for small stakes if others want to, but I don't need bets to have a good time.

The last 15 years or so, it seems people usually play for skins rather than the Nassau. (Nassau is $5 front, $5 back, and $5 overall; sometimes auto presses when 2 down). It's pretty well skins wherever I go. What are the rest of you finding?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Love to play skins and would do it every time if I had willing partners. Usually not, so maybe once every couple of weeks I can get a small stakes game together. Used to play pretty serious games before I moved that could really thicken or thin out the wallet.

Fore!

We always play for money to keep everyone involved in the round no matter what their score looks like but never enough that someone would seriously be pissed about losing the maximum theoretical amount.

Usually $1 skins with strokes, carryovers, and validation for my normal 4 but we'll occasionally have a larger group throw $20 bucks per man into a pot at the start of a round and compare cards at the end. The pot gets split up by the number of players who win a hole outright. The nice thing with the pot skins is that with a group of 6 or more, you'll invariably need a birdie or better to win a hole and it makes for some interesting/fun golf - and generally you'll only have two or three winners per round so the payday can be decent.

Playing golf for some kind of stakes ranks a close second to playing with people who are much better than you in terms of things that will improve your game dramatically.

Note: This thread is 5018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!