IGNORED

Have you ever hit a 1-Iron?

James_Black
Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What was it like?
was it a blade or a cavity back?

I personally havn't.

the closest I've gotten to is a Bladed 3 Iron from the 70's/80's.
It was really hard to hit as the head was barely bigger than the ball.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive owned a few 1-irons, all were cavity-backs. They werent all that hard to hit, but the ball didnt go very high in the air with them.
Its a great club to have in windy conditions because the ball stays low and out of the wind, but you have to be pretty strong in order to get enough clubhead speed so that you can get the ball up in the air though.
Honestly, most amateurs and even a lot of pros dont have a swing speed that is fast enough to hit a 1-iron well.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

What was it like?

Never hit one (that I can remember). I've never had trouble with ballooning a 2-iron so I never considered a 1.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Why do you hold up a 1 iron when there is a thunderstorm at the golf course?

Not even God can hit a 1 iron.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

A buddy once brought one from his basement, it was an old Ping (Zing - if i recall correctly). I hit it a couple times on the range and once on the course off the fairway. It went pretty straight, but not very far - about 170y, and it didnt had the intention of getting airborne too much.

I think swingspeed and putting an excellent swing at the ball is the key to get such low lofted irons up - unfortunately that just doesnt happen to frequently (for most of us).

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I remember borrowing a Wilson Staff cavity 1-iron from our club pro probably 15 years ago. I just saw it laying around in the pro shop and wanted to give it a try. To make matters worse it had an extra stiff graphite shaft. I only hit it 6-7 times and never once hit it straight or got it up in the air very much. Most everything was low and left to right. Although my game was not what it is now, I would almost like another shot with it.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I wonder what a bladed 1 iron would be like 0_0

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Have a Ping Eye 2 1 iron, which was my go-to club of choice when I needed a long shot to a tight fairway. I used it off the fairway when I needed to fade the ball. My clubs were stolen, but I still have that Ping Eye 2 because it was being regripped at the time. Obviously there are easier hitting clubs and more versatile clubs but I ought to take it out for old-times sake just to remind myself how much technology has advanced.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Had a Ping Eye 2 1 iron, which was my go-to club of choice when I needed a long shot to a tight fairway. I used it off the fairway when I needed to fade the ball. My clubs were stolen, but I still have that Ping Eye 2 because it was being regripped at the time. Obviously there are easier hitting clubs and more versatile clubs but I ought to take it out for old-times sake just to remind myself how much technology has advanced.

eye 2's are still very good clubs.

I'd love to have a 1-iron. Just as a souvenir and something to mess around with on the range.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I have muscle back 2-iron, which I hit often. I get about 240 yrds.

But I have not seen a 1-iron let alone hit one.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

eye 2's are still very good clubs.

My guess is that you could pick one up at a golf shop that takes trade-ins.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Yup. Ping Karsten III, Wilson FG-17, Hogan Apex (forget which year's model though), Swilken Alta. May be others but I forget.

Karsten III and the Alta are cavities but the FG-17 and the Apex were blades. As I recall, I hit the Apex and the Karsten III very, very well at the time I had them. Love my long irons .

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I have an old Jack Nicklaus Master 1 iron blade. It does not get that far in the air but it rolls forever.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

i had an old wilson driving iron that i bought for $6 at a pawn shop, couldnt hit it to save myself, guessing that it was either a 1 or 2 iron in loft. I use hybrids for my long irons and couldnt imagine hitting a conventional 3 iron even.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I carried it for years, they were not uncommon in Kansas. Blade? Uh yeah, not a lot of room back there. You needed to hang on or it would sting your hands.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I hit, or let's say at least tried hitting a 1 iron. A Callaway X-14 cavity back 1 iron (I didn't even know there were X-14 1 irons) and all my tries went in vain. Hit it off the tee, all I could get was wrist pain and no more than 50 yards with severe left and right ball flight.

It's useless. I don't think anybody uses these guys anymore.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!