IGNORED

Have you ever hit a 1-Iron?

James_Black
Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thought John Daly was the only person to own one?

Yes they were released to the public, I had one when I played the 845 irons. Same loft as any othe 1 iron.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they were released to the public, I had one when I played the 845 irons. Same loft as any othe 1 iron.

so why call them a 0 iron them if they were the same as a 1 iron?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I owned one, but it was a LONG time ago, when Nicklaus used to play one. I could hit it OK, but not consistent. (Surprise) I'd rather hit a well hit 3 iron than a poorly hit 1 iron.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

I have a Hogan Apex Forged 1 iron sitting in the corner, among my backup irons. In fact, I took a few indoor practice swings with it the other day. It has a new grip as of a few months ago. I think I last used it in the spring, a handful of tee shots over one or two rounds. It goes further than my trusty Cobra Oversize driving iron from the mid '90s, but the Cobra is much easier to elevate, particularly off the turf.

I got that 1 iron as an addition to my Apex Grinds, when I ordered them on closeout sale from Edwin Watts in late 1992. Those clubs were suddenly half price at $299, since they were clearing out for the new model Apex Forged. I ordered the Grind 1 iron but apparently they didn't have any, so they threw in the 1 iron from the new Apex Forged set. I was a bit annoyed because it wasn't a perfect match but I never complained.

The first time I used those clubs I threw the 1 iron on the ground at a Las Vegas driving range and hit one effortless slight hook after another, about 235. Off the tee it was 245. My buddy was impressed but it seemed like nothing. I was in my early 30s. In fact, long irons were nothing in those days. I still have a hard time imagining how we got to here, when anything below a 4 iron is considered unwieldy. Let's just say I'm glad I took up the sport before the wimp era. But I do agree the ball probably made a difference. When I got my current Haig Ultras off ebay about 18 months ago I brought the 2 iron to the course and tried a tee shot on a 375 yard par 4, seemingly a safe option. I was stunned when it was nothing but a low stinger, jarring to my hands.

In the mid '90s I used that Hogan 1 iron often when my driver was off, which was frequently. I distinctly remember one summer week at a golf resort in which I'd alternate the driver and 1 iron every day, comparing distances. I was annoyed that the driver was always 15-25 yards further than my best 1 iron, because I really wanted an excuse to dump the driver completely in favor of the 1 iron.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them in this thread in the next day or two. Nothing remarkable about a 1 iron.

I hit a titleist blade 1 iron one time, I played the last 5 holes of a blowout round with *only* the 1 iron. It was fun, I hit a few good ones 250ish. A few duffs that went 100 yards, and some solid putts, lol.

In My Mizuno (used to be) stand bag:
R580, with the womens cover they gave me at the store
19* and 21* Fusion FT hybrid
R7 irons 4-AW
56/8 Wedge Rossa Daytona Putter, the older black one.

Never heard about that...what does a 1-iron mean???

It's a low loft iron.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

never hit a one iron. to be honest i feel like i would be wasting my time.

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

I've got one that is left handed ( i am right) sometimes I put it in the bag with courses that have a ton of trees and narrow fairways. It makes for an awesome backwards putter that has a little loft. Great for getting out of jams.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

so why call them a 0 iron them if they were the same as a 1 iron?

Good question, same reason some manufacturers called their PW a 10 iron I suppose, just to be different.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I have an old Wilson "driving iron." I've hit it a few times, but have never hit one remotely reasonable shot with it.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

What was it like?

I have a set of 78 Wilson Staff Tour blades, 1-pw and there is a course here in Portland Or I'll put the 1i in the bag. Off of the tee its not a problem, off of the deck I go on and off and can hit the 2i almost as far. It is no harder to hit than any long iron. BUT the best thing(s) is looking at ppl when I pull a 1i out of the bag. Then it starts, "only God can hit a 1i, blah, blah, blah". The look on their faces is priceless when I rip it off of the tee and put it out there around 230 in the fairway. Okay, I can be a dic at times, but damn the looks are worth it!

I have a set of 78 Wilson Staff Tour blades, 1-pw and there is a course here in Portland Or I'll put the 1i in the bag. Off of the tee its not a problem, off of the deck I go on and off and can hit the 2i almost as far. It is no harder to hit than any long iron. BUT the best thing(s) is looking at ppl when I pull a 1i out of the bag. Then it starts, "only God can hit a 1i, blah, blah, blah". The look on their faces is priceless when I rip it off of the tee and put it out there around 230 in the fairway. Okay, I can be a dic at times, but damn the looks are worth it!

lol.

Kinda like me and my bladed 3 iron.(I don't play with good golfers btw handicap 28's) I sometimes take it out in a practice round and 2/3 times I can hit a good 190 yard shot from it. What is the ball flight for a 1 iron like? Does it rise up or does it stay low?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I've got one that is left handed ( i am right) sometimes I put it in the bag with courses that have a ton of trees and narrow fairways. It makes for an awesome backwards putter that has a little loft. Great for getting out of jams.

That's legal?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
That's legal?

Why wouldn't it be? Of course it's legal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's legal?

yeah.

well I'd say so. Is there a rule against playing with different handed clubs?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

yeah.

I thought if you used a putter backhanded it counted as an extra club. Sorry if I'm wrong (i.e. an idiot) but that's what I thought.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!