IGNORED

"The Stack and Tilt Swing: The Definitive Guide..." by Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett

iacas

• Administrator
Have been thinking of getting this book, but not sure I want to do a wholesale "conversion" to the stack and tilt. Is that necessary in order to learn something from the book?

Nope. Read my Amazon or B&N; reviews. I think the book is so groundbreaking (I hate that term but just go with the loose idea of it here) and I think EVERY golfer, whether they adopt it full-on or not, can learn something from the book. It, like Hogan's Five Lessons, belongs on the bookshelves of anyone who considers themselves a student of the game.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of the things that the book really explains well is how standing up creates so much power and speed. I never knew why this was so powerful but it does a really good job of explaining this. I can't explain it the way the book does but this move done at the right time is a great way to create speed. This move isn't unique to S&T; and one that all powerful players use.

Brian

Just wanted to chip in and say this is an excellent book. I do like the methodical approach to "trouble-shooting" in regards to swing problems.

I tend to rely on online tutorials and advise for various tips and fixes, but they rarely seem to fit within a frame-work of playing. Breaking down shot-patterns and then listing the causes behind them is very useful.

thanks a lot, a-holes. im now $20 poorer and on my way to what will most likely be a frustrating swing overhaul...hope it works out. :)

Colin P.

thanks a lot, a-holes. im now $20 poorer and on my way to what will most likely be a frustrating swing overhaul...hope it works out. :)

Relax, one of the best things about it is its simplicity. I'd wager you catch on to it quickly. good luck!

Now that's not very nice.

- seriously...don't overhaul anything then. If you can't find anything you like (which would honestly mean you haven't read the book) don't use any of it and then you have only lost the $20. That in itself is certainly not worth calling anyone an a-hole. In the end, if you agree with little or nothing or don't like the concept you still get clarification on the true ball flight laws as well as some great ideas on how to use them while you play. Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

no, i meant a-hole in the affectionate way. ;)
i have been lurking in the s/t threads and a lot of what i read seems logical. i have already made a focused effort to remain centered over the ball on my backswing and am trying to make my hips move forward toward the target throught the thru swing.

what i meant was that the bunch of you made this look so good that im going for it too.

Colin P.

iacas, I would like to peronally thank your review of the book. It pretty much the reason why I signed up for the forums; everyone seems to be really knowledgeable and courteous. I am new golfer with only about 4-6 rounds played and this book has very easy drills that reinforce what certain thing they are trying to teach and I love it. Very easy to understand and I plan to read it several more times when I am finished. I plan to fully convert to S&T; once I get some of the key points down to a science.

Driver: r7 cgb max 10.5º
3 Wood: Ovation 2
3H: Pro Gold 20º w/Winn PCI
4H: Tight Lies 24º
5-PW: Tight LiesPutter: Dual Force 668 w/Winn PistolBall: B330 Bag: Corza

no, i meant a-hole in the affectionate way. ;)

Gotcha - and no worries either way that is why I had some fun with it...hope you enjoy the book...and see great progress!

Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

Just finished chapter 1 through 4 which cover the basic priniciples. My plan is to get to the Golfdome and hit some balls before moving on to the rest of the book. I would like to hear from those experienced in the S & T whether this makes sense and any comments how to best start changing my swing. A recent article in Golf Digest had some good advice on getting started:
1. Using a 5-iron, hit 10 balls focusing on keeping your weight on your front foot.
2. Hit the next 10 balls with your weight forward and your left shoulder turning downward.
3. Hit the next 10 balls with your weight forward, your shoulder turning down and your hands swinging inward.
4. Hit the next 10 with your weight forward, shoulder down, hands in and your butt tucking under your torso through impact.
5. Hit the next 10 with your weight forward, shoulder down, hands in, butt tucked and your arms staying straight to the finish.

Thanks for any additional help.

I still as of now, dont actually have a swing. Meaning that my swing seems to be different at all times because I have never had lessons, and I really have no way of getting them. Should I pick this up? It seems that it could help me develop a swing that will help me be more consistent? I think I might completely overhaul my swing this winter, and put it to use during the summer and see exactly what happens, what do you guys think about this?

In my Nike Xtreme Carry Lite II Bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XLS 9.5
Fairway Wood:Nike DyMo2 4 wood
Hybrid:Nickent 3dx DC ironwood 3hIrons: Taylormade Burner Plus 4-AWPutter: Yes! TiffanyShoes: Footjoy Greenjoys

keb,

That's what I did to start out, but start with punch shots like the book suggests. Also, as shorter iron maybe easier to control at the beginning. I found the hands in part easier with a PW or 9 iron. Swing easy at first and don't worry about power. The power comes from tucking the butt under, but you should focus on keeping your shoulder center stationary first as you shift your hips forward, otherwise you can shift you head with the butt tuck.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I still as of now, dont actually have a swing. Meaning that my swing seems to be different at all times because I have never had lessons, and I really have no way of getting them. Should I pick this up? It seems that it could help me develop a swing that will help me be more consistent? I think I might completely overhaul my swing this winter, and put it to use during the summer and see exactly what happens, what do you guys think about this?

Yes, I think this book can help you build a repeating swing whether you adopt all of its principles or not. It will give you a better understanding of the cause and effect of various elements of the golf swing.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Great! Another swing to add to the 10 or 12 I already own. Sometimes the right one shows up when I need a good one.

Ha ha. I ordered the book from Amazon today. Important is that you reviewers said the autors can define a good explanation of the swing. Most golf authors, especially Haney, leave me confused when they discuss swings.

I am fully committed to the S&T; cause but if I'm completely honest, I feel the book needed many more photos and illustrations, and probably half the text. Explaining the golf swing in words is never easy at the best of times. The intro and first 2 chapters were fine, but then Chapters 3 & 4 took a lot of concentration (who said it was dumbed down?!). I found myself rereading large chunks of it before it fully sunk in. Chapter 5 to 9 were also fine but severely lacking in photos, especially the part on ball flight laws. I guess I'm just a DVD guy as the only decent book I've read on the golf swing (I admit I don't read many!) is Swing Machine Golf by Paul Wilson. Shame it's based on the old ball flight laws as that was the closest I ever got to the conventional swing!
  • Upvote 1

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

This book provides clear undertanding of swing fundamentals. To me S&T; help me to resolve many of problems I've been struggling with for a long time....mostly swing consistancy/accuracy. I read book couple of times and many times of several sections. Wondering if DVD would be also helpful.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

The book is better in explaining the concepts. You might want to first borrow the DVDs from somebody so you can make the buy decision after you've seen them.

Titleist 909 DComp: 9.5 degrees, X-con5 S | Callaway FT 3,5 woods, Fujikura Fit-On E-160 S | Cleveland Hybore hybrid: 22 degrees, stock R | Mizuno MX-200: 5-G Wedge, Exar IS4 S | Solus Wedges: 56 and 61 degrees, Proforce Rv2 95 S | Nike Unitized Techno putter

• 2 weeks later...
Just read the book (borrowed from library - now I better order my own copy!). After I finished reading, I tried a few of my current swings & realized my head moves back & forth 3-4 inches. I've struggled to break 100 the past few years (lack of playing time & injuries haven't helped much). About the only consistent thing was my inconsistency from swing-to-swing. Sometimes I hit good shots, but I could never repeat them, and hitting 5-6 in a row hardly ever happened. I really agree about that 1st fundamental - I'm hoping that Stack & Tilt will allow me to hit the ground in the same place & hit the ball more consistently.