IGNORED

Golf in winter - what do you wear.

Jemehl
Note: This thread is 5242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No... you really don't. I'll take socal weather over the 4 seasons here in the D.C. area anyday.

Oh no doubt the weather is great here during the winter.

Still though, I like to challenge myself, and playing golf in the rain just seems like a lot of fun to me. When I was in junior high, I would sometimes ride my bike to school about 2.5 miles in the rain with rain gear on. I would get to school and my pants/shoes are completely soaked from the knee down (would bring a change of socks/shoes). Call me sadistic! It's just too bad it hardly ever rains here, and most of the time, it's "scattered" and doesn't really come down. But when it does come down, it'll come down, and I'll be calling in a tee time.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

Around 50* or lower I wear thermal underwear and my rain suit!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Shorts and a tee shirt. If it gets really cold I might switch to pants.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

hmm, i'd prolly wear some layered under armour. but it never gets cold down here. i wear shorts and polo every outing all year! haha, with the occasional pants. man, i love the texas weather!
In My Under Armour Links Stand Bag or PING Hoofer Vantage Team Bag :
i15 9.5°, Project X Graphite -7A3 | i15 15.5°, Project X Graphite -8A4 | S57 2 - PW, Project X 6.5 | Tour-W 56.10/60.8 Project X 6.5 | Redwood Black Satin Anser | Titleist Black | Golf Pride Tour Velvet Round Grips With Logo...

45-55 doesn't bother me. I'll wear short sleeves and pants if it's sunny.
If there's a cold wind or no sun, I'll wear a skull cap

Below 45--won't wear shorts.

35-45 ski type pants, long sleeved under-shirt, skull cap

25-35 thermal underwear+ above + winter golf gloves on both hands

below 25--course probably isn't open. Haven't played below 25.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

for me;

50s: Sunmountain rainpants, long-sleeved compression shirt, golf shirt, windjacket

30s: Sunmountain rainpants, long-sleeved compression shirt zip up fleece, windjackets, titleist fleece hat
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

For me - not matter what the temperature - its shorts and a polo

under 50 degrees i will carry a windbreaker but will only wear it while riding in the cart.

I just can not get comfortable swinging a club in long sleeves.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't golf during the Winter unless I go down south. I use the Winter months to reload my wallet for next season.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I can usually stick with regular khakis and a long-sleeve polo through November, when you still have the occasional day in the high 40's. After that, it's all about layering with me. Under Armour compression shirt, long-sleeve tee shirt, polo and I'll throw on a fleece vest and carry a long-sleeve windbreaker in my bag. That way I can shed or add as I need to throughout a round. Fortunately in winter golf clubs relax their etiquette so you can get away with tee shirt if you catch a particularly warm day.

Still, every round last winter I began to ask myself why I don't live further south.

Three lousy shots and one brilliant shot can still make par...

I recommend taking a cart and getting a cover and a Coleman propane heater. Your clubs stay warm and you do not have to wear as many layers.

I know for some, riding a cart is not an option, whether it is course policy or just preference, but this way of playing allows me to play into the 30's lol.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

What do you guys wear in the winter.

Short-sleeve polo and light trousers, obviously. That's Spring weather over here!

What you were in 30-50 weather

I may slip on a sweater and a hat. or maybe a wind cheater if it's breezy...

I just bought some long golf pants :) I've been wearing those and I have sweaters that I will wear when its cold. I'm picky, but my golf pants do not go well with my golf shoes...not the color, just the fact that they are long pants and sort of "sneakers" :)

The wife just bought me a couple of Sunice sweaters, that are merino wool and Hurricane GORE-TEX Windproof. I haven't had a chance to wear them yet because of work (or play golf for that matter), but can't wait to don them on the course.

Below freezing = no golf
When it's high 30s into the 40s I'll wear my Northface fleece, which is really warm and windproof while still being light and flexible. Underneath I wear a long sleeve thermal shirt similar to UnderArmor. Jeans always get the job done in cold weather. Also, winter golf gloves, absolutely key.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Layer it up. Playing in Arizona you have to be ready to go down to your shorts. 80 in Dec can happen after it was 42 to start the morning. I'm usually out in golf pants "swishy) for the sound they make with a pair of shorts on underneath. Unless it's in the 30's to start the morning which means frost delay here, it's usually enough. I try to stay to a shirt and thin golf jacket and I take the jacket off ASAP, I don't like it.

John

Note: This thread is 5242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!