IGNORED

New AP2 Irons

stebed
Note: This thread is 5262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

Has anyone out there got the new AP2 irons yet? I have the original AP1's and would like to change to AP2's over the winter just wondering has anyone changed from old AP2 to new AP2 and can you tell the difference?

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

i'll report back next week when my 710 Ap2s are shipped and i'll be able to hit them (hopefully on tuesday, if not during the weekend). i've hit the 08 AP2s and they feel great. they're pretty long as well and easy to work.

I have the original and hit the new one's on the range. I can't tell a difference, but that's me. They are great irons.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

From the literature ive read, the differences between 710 AP2 and the 08 models seem more like minor tweeks rather than a performance overhaul. Mostly improvements to the feel of the club. I bet they play exactly the same.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

the main difference is the dynamic golds as a stock shaft instead of the project x. the bounce is different on the shorter irons. apart from visual differences i expect them to play about the same.

i tested the new ap2 irons at a titleist demo day.
the irons feel a little better but hardly noticeable.
you cant really tell the difference.
DRIVER: titleist 910d3 9.5* project x 6.0
3WOOD: titleist 910fd 15* project x 6.0
HYBRID: titleist 910h 19* project x 6.0
IRONS: titleist 710 ap2 3-pw nippon xstiff
WEDGES: titleist vokey 52.08 & 58.08
PUTTER: scotty cameron studio select newport 2

The new AP2's also have V grooves.

As did the original AP2s.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Really? Well on the website they make a point of it this year. Do the 735's have V?

909D3 9.5° w/ UST ProForce V2 (XS)
975F 14.5° w/ UST ProForce V2 (XS)
735CM 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold (S300)
56° Spin Milled
60° Spin Milled Studio Style Newport 2 35" Pro V1x or Tour B330

• Administrator
Really? Well on the website they make a point of it this year. Do the 735's have V?

Two things:

1) Please stop saying "V" grooves. They don't need to be "V" grooves in order to conform. Part pet peeve, part technicality... 2) The 735s may very well have them. Email Titleist and ask them. But why does it matter? You're not going to be playing in the U.S. Open or PGA Tour events this year, right? In four years or fourteen years you'll probably have different irons anyway, and that's when it'll matter to you. Besides, it's primarily a wedge rule. If the 735s conform, great. If they don't, it won't be by a noticeable amount... Titleist's players haven't wanted big grooves on their stock irons for quite awhile.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two things:

I've been playing the AP2 for 8 months now, yet I can still stop the ball dead on the green. It will even stop coming out of light rough, or if I'm hitting a short enough iron that I get a high flight with a fairly soft landing. My 6I will stop within 3 or 4 feet from a good lie (with a Pro V1x). It's only from deep rough or from settled lies that I have to worry about fliers, and then I play for it.

The new groove configuration just ain't a big deal.... why do some people have to keep harping on it?????

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the AP1s (3I & 4I) and AP2s (5I-8I). I was told by a Titleist club pro that I trust that improvements are very small and are feel related, not playability related. Also told that unless you are 2 handicapper or less it would be hard to tell the difference between originals and 2009 improvements.

909D3 Driver 10.5*
909F3 Fairway Metal 15*
909H Hybrid 19*
AP1 3-4 Irons
AP2 5-8 Irons ZB 9 Iron & PW Oilcan Spin Mill 54* & 58* Studio Select Newport 2 SG5

Does anybody know if Titleist has started shipping these irons yet. There website says mid November.
I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and I'm getting a little anxious to get them.

Thanks,
Joe

G10 Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 5 wood
G10 21,24,28 & 32 Hybrids
2010 710 AP2 7-PW w/DG300SVokey 58 & 52 2009 Spin Milled 2 Ball Blade 34" ProV1 2009 Pioneer Bag

no difference other than aesthetics

In my r7 tour bag using my tp red balls,
i use

Driver:tour burner tp
3W:r7 tp5W:burner tp or titleist 906f22H:rescue dual tpAP2 3-PW DG30052*tour-wPutter:Button Back or newport beachI shoot a 74 on average

I've been playing the AP2 for 8 months now, yet I can still stop the ball dead on the green. It will even stop coming out of light rough, or if I'm hitting a short enough iron that I get a high flight with a fairly soft landing. My 6I will stop within 3 or 4 feet from a good lie (with a Pro V1x). It's only from deep rough or from settled lies that I have to worry about fliers, and then I play for it.

Ive had similar results out of the rough. They spin just fine for me. Just as much as the 695cb's i used before.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Looks like people have started receiving their orders.

Bag: Corza Stand Bag
Driver: Launcher 460 Comp 9.5
Woods: Burner 3/5
Irons: TA7 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: 588 Tour Action 51*/57*Putter: Two bar blade center shaft

Note: This thread is 5262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!