IGNORED

how to stay down on the shot?

poirot
Note: This thread is 5239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everybody, please your advice.

I have an 18 handicap of the white tees, I seem to have a problem in my golf swing since I started 6 years ago, when I record my swing on camara, I can see that I lift my body ( i guess trying to kill the ball) so that causes lots of thin shots. I have noticed that this will happen specially with my sand wedge in the 60_100 yardage.

How can i get rid of this, what drills do you recommend or what swing thought in order to stay down.

What´s in my bag

Driver: Hibore Monster 10.5 Regular Flex, Fujikura
3 wood: Big Bertha 15 Stiff Flex
Hybrid: Halo 22 (3) StiffIrons: X18 3-PWWedges: Vokey Spin 56; 60Putter: Ball: Pro V1

I too have had this issue... it still creeps up every once in a while, causing some thin shots and even a few sh***s. What I try to do is this:

I pick a spot about 10-12" infront of the ball and try to get the club head to go over that spot before it comes up in the follow through. This really helps me get extended through the ball and will elimiate those thin ones. Try it with a 1/2 swing from hip high to hip high. It will come off like a punch but you can really feel the solid impact. Then, you can work up to a full swing.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

I think you lift because you are holding the club too tight and causing your arms and body to move upward along with your backswing. Try swing your golf club with very little grip pressure and see if you notice a difference.

Remember to rotate parallal with the ground and not at an upward angle.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Thanks for your advice, I will put them in action today that I will go to the range, specially comming from single digit handicappers. I will post my golf swing any time.

What´s in my bag

Driver: Hibore Monster 10.5 Regular Flex, Fujikura
3 wood: Big Bertha 15 Stiff Flex
Hybrid: Halo 22 (3) StiffIrons: X18 3-PWWedges: Vokey Spin 56; 60Putter: Ball: Pro V1

Here's a drill:
On the downswing, try pointing the butt end of the club down the ball to target line; this will insure that you stay in the shot.
You will probably be amazed at how well you hit your irons using this concept.

You're a better golfer than I am, so take this for what it's worth. I find that I get myself into similar trouble when I think about where the ball is going to go after the shot rather than just worrying about swinging through the ball. By really just thinking about making the swing, I tend to get better results.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

With your shorter irons try keeping your weight on your left side through out the swing. That should move the bottom of your swing ahead of the ball.

If that doesnt help then your probably raising up or "flinching" at the shot. In that case, stay down, tighten up, and work on punch shots, get your confidence back with the short clubs. Then work back into more full swings.

This always helps me if my short irons misbehave,

-Beane

Some good advice above. Remember to make the ball go up, you hit down on it. You should hit down on the ball with all clubs (except driver and putter)

Definitely practice keeping your head still. Look at the ball and keep looking at that ball position until well after you've hit it.

Here's a video of Tiger. Pause the video at 19seconds. He is completing the follow through and is still looking at the ball position.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 2 weeks later...
You're a better golfer than I am, so take this for what it's worth. I find that I get myself into similar trouble when I think about where the ball is going to go after the shot rather than just worrying about swinging through the ball. By really just thinking about making the swing, I tend to get better results.

I try to 'slap' the ball with the back of my left hand

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

I have this problem as well, especially with my woods. I just try to keep my knees flexed through the backswing and the follow through and just focus on dipping my shoulder down, I'm a righty so it would be my left shoulder :)

Keep your feet quiet, don't let the right foot come up until after impact.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!