IGNORED

My Swing (jamo)

jamo
Note: This thread is 1322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 iron:

PW:

Interesting that your oval tilts as if you were a left hander.  I think @iacas you @Lihu 's stats to try and confuse you. ;)

Seriously though, nicely done!  Good to see that your shot zones are basically centered on your target! :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seriously though, nicely done!  Good to see that your shot zones are basically centered on your target! :beer:

That's how he hits them on the course, too. You get used to saying "shot" every time @jamo hits it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Interesting that your oval tilts as if you were a left hander.  I think @iacas gave you @Lihu 's stats to try and confuse you. ;) Seriously though, nicely done!  Good to see that your shot zones are basically centered on your target! :beer:

From what I remember, the shots that went left were hit off the toe, so they didn't go quite as far. And really, 4 of the 6 shots went the same distance, there was just 1 that went far right and 1 that went short left.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 9 months later...

So, I was about to write something in this thread when I noticed I had a huge draft saved. It looks like it was from the Erie meet-up last year, and I don't think I ever posted it, so I'll put it below in spoilers: [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Hopefully @saevel25 doesn't mind that I stole this from him. ►Hole 1 - Par 4, 426 yard dog leg to the right. The tee shot is slightly up hill and then the approach shot goes back downhill to the green. There is OB left, and thick woods to the right side. The green is guarded by two front bunkers, and there are woods over the back.  [SPOILER=Hole 1] Hole 1 [/SPOILER] Felt really good over the tee shot for some reason, despite seeing Bill go OB left and having hit my 6-iron the previous day into the refine. Was trying to hit a slight fade with my driver, it went pretty much dead straight to the left half of the fairway. Had 9-iron from about 142 or so, downhill. Caught it a few grooves thin, finished a yard or two off the front edge. I'd count it as an nGIR. Made a pretty good 2-putt. ►Hole 2 - Par 3, 152 yards straight away, bunker sits off to the left. There is a pretty steep slope to the left of the green that kicks everything into the woods. Note from jamo: I've honestly never thought about the slope that kicks balls left of the green into the woods, just the mounds that kick balls right of the green towards the flag. [SPOILER=Hole 2] Hole 2 [/SPOILER] I seem to remember the hole playing longer than 152, because I'm pretty sure I remarked that I was hitting the same club as the previous day, which would have been a 6-iron. I think that means the tees were back with the blacks. Pushed it a few yards into the right rough to the left pin, nGIR. Chipped to 7 feet or so, made a good par putt. ►Hole 3 - Par 5, 512 yards. Straight away hole, with OB to the right and woods to the left. Pretty wide landing area though. The rough wasn't that penalizing Sunday.  [SPOILER=Hole 3] Hole 3 [/SPOILER] Talked myself into hitting 2-hybrid off the tee to avoid where the fairway pinches in a bit. Tugged it a tough, still hit the left side of the fairway with plenty of room. Didn't want to risk going left with my hybrid or 3-wood (which has been my miss lately with those club), so I laid up with a 5-iron. Had a SW from just under 100 yards. Ball above my feet pulled it a bit left, but I was pin high and on the green. Two-putt par. ►Hole 4 - Par 4, 288 yards. This is a pretty tricky par 4. It's about 275 yards to the green. A hazard runs along the left side of the fairway and cuts in front of the green, which is offset to the left from the fairway.  [SPOILER=Hole 4] Hole 4 [/SPOILER] Got to the tee and just really felt like I couldn't prevent a hybrid from going left, so I went with 4-iron. Dumb move. I know I can hit a hold-off cut if I have to. Chunked the 4-iron a touch, caught it a little off the toe. Despite a few of the guys saying "good shot," I knew pretty much immediately that it didn't have the distance to get over the ravine. Dropped, ball way above my feet, and barely made enough contact with my 8-iron to advance it to the fairway. Had 68 yards to the pin, and I took dead aim since i knew if I hit a bad shot that we just wouldn't be using my score on the hole. (That's the difference using 3 of 4 scores and playing stableford makes.) Took A TON of sod with my swing, but all after the ball. My right hand came flying off the club, but the ball was tracking, and landed just a few inches from the cup. Took a small hop, nicked the flagstick, and rolled to about a foot away. Tapped in. ►Hole 5, Par 4, 282 yards, another short par 4. Pretty straight away with the green sitting to the left of the fairway. The green is guarded by two large bunkers up front and two small bunkers left and back right. Woods guard the left side and over the back of the green.  [SPOILER=Hole 5] Hole 5 [/SPOILER] Went with hybrid off the tee to stay short of the bunkers left, but hit the shot that I was fearing on the 4th tee, and pulled it left. I found my ball in a tall week about a foot into the lateral hazard. Hacked one out to the first bunker on the left, bunker shot came up short, picked up from there when it was clear we wouldn't be using my score. ►Hole 6 - Par 3, 183 yards. A straight away par 3, with two bunkers that guard the front of the green.  [SPOILER=Hole 6] Hole 6 [/SPOILER] One of the few holes where wind mattered. Hit 5-iron with the breeze at my face and the hole playing slight uphill to a front pin. Underestimated the wind just a touch (not that it would have mattered, since one more club would have probably been too much anyway). Ball landed and stopped a few feet onto the green. Hit an awful first putt, but made pretty solid 8-footer for par. ►Hole 7 - Par 5, 523 yards, a dog leg left par 5. The tee shot constricts about 270 yards from the tee box, with a fairway bunker on the right and a few trees on the left.  [SPOILER=Hole 7] Hole 7 [/SPOILER] Was trying to hit my driver to the right side, but pulled it just slightly to the left. No real angle to the green, so I was just trying to hit a hybrid over the ravine, right of the right bunkers, towards Mike and Erik's cart. I don't even remember what I did (I assume I chunked it, but I seriously could have just duffed it or something - I honestly don't remember), and I only advanced the ball like 50 yards, still short of the ravine. Didn't really have an angle for my next shot, hit 5-iron out to the right. Ended up with a 6. ►Hole 8 - Par 4, 423 yards. A pretty tough hole. I might consider it the toughest hole on the course. A long par 4, the fairway goes out about 250 yards then it is all downhill to the green. There is a hazard on the right, with a very steep slope before it. The left side is guarded by the woods. The green has the hazard encroaching infront of it, and a steep slope over the back that runs all the way to a creek.  [SPOILER=Hole 8] Hole 8 [/SPOILER] Hit a hybrid right down the middle, about a foot into the rough where the fairway runs out. Probably should've hit 3-wood to get it over that patch of rough. Had a 6-iron (IIRC) that missed just left. Can't remember if I made par or bogey. If it was the latter it was a bad bogey, since I remember hitting a decent chip. ►Hole 9 - Par 4, 374 yards, a dog leg left par 4 that is all up hill. Fairway bunkers guard the right side through the fairway, and woods and a hazard guard the left side.  [SPOILER=Hole 9] Hole 9 [/SPOILER] Hit a prefect, push-draw driver right down the middle. I don't remember what club I had (I think it was a SW from 100). Landed it over the false front but it rolled back off. Again can't remember if I made par or bogey. ►Hole 10 - Par 4, 451 yards, a beastly hole. Just a straight away par 4, and LONG! There are woods to the left and OB on the right (driving range). The green is slightly elevated with a false front.  [SPOILER=Hole 10] Hole 10 [/SPOILER] Great driver down the left hand side (with this length, no real question there). Had a 5-iron in with the ball above my feet. Overcorrected, missed right. Hit a pretty good chip that rolled out more than I expected, curled in a great 25-footer for par. ►Hole 11 - Par 3, 151 yards, a straight away par 3. Nothing really guarding this green at all. Just make sure you clear the hazard that runs about 75 yards in front of the green.  [SPOILER=Hole 11] Hole 11 [/SPOILER] Bad 7-iron into the wind short and right. Decent chip to 10 feet or so, couldn't make the par putt. ►Hole 12 - Par 5, 518 yards, a straight away drive with a slight dogleg right for the approach shot. A big hazard cuts the fairway in two about 340 yards from the tee box.  [SPOILER=Hole 12] Hole 12 [/SPOILER] Great driver down the right side of the fairway, but that left me with no real angle to the green. Ended up hitting a 6-iron right at the green side bunker just left of the green. LW from about 40 yards that I put a little too much on. Two putts from the middle of the green to the front pin. ►Hole 13 - Par 4, 356 yards, a short par 4 that has a hazard that cuts the fairway in two about 260 yards from the tee. It is about 285-290 yards to carry. There are two fairway bunkers on the right, it takes about 210 yards to carry them. There are woods to the left of the fairway as well.  [SPOILER=Hole 13] Hole 13 [/SPOILER] Was again afraid of hitting a hybrid, so I laid up with hybrid. Hit a good one to the right side, but I had another 5-iron to the green. Flared it out badly to the right. Never found it. ►Hole 14 - Par 3, 184 yards, a long par 3 with bunkers that guard the left side of the green from front to back. There is also a bunker that guards the front right of the green.  [SPOILER=Hole 14] Hole 14 [/SPOILER] 5-Iron a touch right of the green, pin-high. Hit a decent chip, can't remember if I made par of bogey. ►Hole 15 - Par 5, 536 yards, pretty much a straight away par 5. Hazard does come into play on the left side about 260 yards out. A fairway bunker sits on the right side about 290 yards from the tee box. [SPOILER=Hole 15] Hole 15 [/SPOILER] Great driver down the left side. Had 140 to the hazard, 180 to clear it IIRC. Hit a 3-wood, good swing, but contact just ever so slightly off the heel (really nit-picking with that analysis). Landed middle of the fairway, about 40 yards short. Again, too much on my LW approach, 2-putt par. ►Hole 16 - Par 4, 300 yards. The famous hole 16, as seen in the "How would you play this hole" thread. A short par 4 that is slightly up hill till you reach about 60 yards from the green, then ascends steeply to an elevated green. Three bunkers guard the front of the green.  [SPOILER=Hole 16] Hole 16 [/SPOILER] Hit driver, got just a fraction under it and I think the wind held it up. Landed and stuck just behind the first bunker on the left. Had 45-50 yards to so. LW didn't carry quite as far as I'd like, but it made the green. Three-putted. ►Hole 17 - Par 4, 398 yards, a dogleg left with fairway bunkers guarding the left and right side where the fairway bends left. A hazard sits along the left side of the fairway just past the bunker on the left. Note from jamo: my personal favorite hole. [SPOILER=Hole 17] Hole 17 [/SPOILER] ►Hole 18 - Par 4, 411 yards all the way uphill dog leg to the left. A hazard cuts the fairway in two about 290 yards from the tee box, and two fairway bunkers guard the right side straight away.  [SPOILER=Hole 18] Hole 18 [/SPOILER] [/SPOILER]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

A little recap, since I haven't posted at all in this thread since August: I hit the range a few times after my last post in August, started a job mid-September, didn't play another round after that, hit the range once in November, didn't pick up a club until March, and have played about a round of week since April (except this weekend, since I've had a cold that's really kicking my ass). I've put in a decent amount of work on my short game, and have had a few pretty good scrambling rounds in a row. I'll post a few of those vids tomorrow. My full swing looks pretty similar to the way it did at the end of last year. I could definitely use some more right side extension and could get my weight farther forward at impact, but I'm hitting the ball pretty well. What tends to work is what I call "the Rory feel." Rory has this way of starting his backswing - and I'm not going to explain this well at all - where he straightens his arms out and scrunches his shoulders before taking the club back. That tends to help me keep me away from that A4 with my lower body pushed way forward. Erik has given me a few additions feelings (propped/popped right hip) that I remind myself every now and then. [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMz_fYPHOxA[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Tg0RBRdlY[/VIDEO] That DTL video felt like the best swing I made all day.

In my bag:

Thanks for reminding me that I hit my 1st shot that day into a lake, @jamo . Good times :beer:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
My full swing looks pretty similar to the way it did at the end of last year. I could definitely use some more right side extension and could get my weight farther forward at impact, but I'm hitting the ball pretty well. What tends to work is what I call "the Rory feel." Rory has this way of starting his backswing - and I'm not going to explain this well at all - where he straightens his arms out and scrunches his shoulders before taking the club back. That tends to help me keep me away from that A4 with my lower body pushed way forward. Erik has given me a few additions feelings (propped/popped right hip) that I remind myself every now and then.

Yeah, but on the grading scale, this is a B+. You don't need much more extension at all. Or much more Key #2. Seriously, this is awfully close to "if this is natural and you don't have to think about it much, time to move your primary focus to something else."

In fact, maybe even an A-, and if this is your hip motion on the backswing without thinking about anything, definitely time to move on to something else. If you're still thinking about it to make this happen, keep thinking about it, but it doesn't need to be much more than this at all. Overdoing it would be worse for your game than doing it "this" much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, but on the grading scale, this is a B+. You don't need much more extension at all. Or much more Key #2. Seriously, this is awfully close to "if this is natural and you don't have to think about it much, time to move your primary focus to something else." [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/124691/] [/URL] In fact, maybe even an A-, and if this is your hip motion on the backswing without thinking about anything, definitely time to move on to something else. If you're still thinking about it to make this happen, keep thinking about it, but it doesn't need to be much more than this at all. Overdoing it would be worse for your game than doing it "this" much.

These are stock swings, 99% natural.

In my bag:

• Administrator

These are stock swings, 99% natural.

Okay then.

Good.

Get some nice high-speed stuff and make enough swings so we know what you need to work on next.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
Going to run through the round I played on Saturday at Cyprian Keyes Golf Course in Boylston, MA. 1: Good 5 iron to the middle of the fairway. Bad pushed 8 from 154. Solid chip that didn't break how I was hoping it to. Bogey. +1 2: Hybrid struck well, straight, ran through the fairway. PW from 115 to the back of the green, front pin. Bad lag putt, rolled in a 5-footer. +1 3: Hybrid to the middle of the fairway. 5 Iron layup. SW from 108 landed a foot from the pin, rolled out to the back of the green. Lipped out the birdie. +1 4: Hybrid to the right side. Little chopped off 6 iron to the middle of the fairway. Hit a horrid soft LW from 88 way over the green. Pin was on a big slope, tough to get close. Bogey. +2 5: Great driver to the middle of the fairway. Terrible PW from 130 came up well short. Chip to the middle of the green. Two putts for bogey. +3 6: Very good 7 iron from 174 downhill to about 15 feet. Two putts. +3 7: Slight double crossed driver into the left rough. Solid PW to the front of the green. Two putts. +3 8: Massacred a driver downhill to about 30 yards. Easy chip to five feet. Birdie. +2 9: 9 Iron from 145 to 10 feet. Two putts. +2 10: Bad driver flared into right rough, near the trees. Tees were up so I was trying to rip one past the rock formation and got under it. Nice hooking 6 iron to the left side of the fairway. LW from 80 yards to the back of the green. Two putts. +2 11: 6 iron perfect distance, flared a little to the right, about a foot off the green. Perfect chip to tap-in range. +2 12: Killed another downhill driver to 50 yards. Shaky LW to 30 feet. Two putts. +2 13: Dunked my 4 iron off the tee. Hybrid from the drop area to just off the green. Up and down for bogey. +3 14: Bad driver flared right. This is when my right knee started really bothering me. Had a good lie. Blind 7 iron just short of the green. Chipped to tap-in range. +3 15: Hybrid to the left side of the fairway. Mediocre 9 iron from 147 to 25 feet. Two putts. +3 16: Nice 8 iron from 157 to 13 feet. Two putts. +3 17: Slightly pulled driver to the left side, nearly pin high. Mediocre pitch to the middle of the green. Two putts. +3 18: Tried to cut a hybrid, ended up drawing it a little. 3 iron absolute bullet to the back of the green. Nearly made the eagle putt from 45 feet. Tap-in birdie. +2 I played much better after the first few holes. Hit a lot of great tee shots, and some pretty good iron shots. A few that weren't struck well but ended up okay. Scrambled well. Putting didn't hurt me but didn't help me either. I don't know why my knee was bothering me so much. It was worse the next day but has gotten progressively better. Couldn't put much weight on it. Didn't affect my swing but walking became a chore. I had some advil that I probably should have taken. I haven't been hitting half wedges well lately, or really all year. I've gotten much, much better at not instinctively taking extra club when I'm between clubs, as that had been killing me for a while. Front pins were a nuisance because I was so afraid of coming up short. Been much better about that.

In my bag:

• 3 years later...

I figure if there's ever a time to revive a My Swing thread that's been dormant for nearly four years, it might as well be because you shot a 66. I haven't really been working on my swing much at all this year, or really the last few years. I don't have a great driving range to go to these days, but I play in a mens league so I usually get out once or twice a week. The past few years I've been in a habit of starting off around a 6-8 handicap and getting it down to around 2-4 by the end of the season. I've been swinging the club really well the past few weeks, and my short game has started clicking, so I wasn't surprised I played well but I definitely never expect to make 7 birdies. 

The course I was playing is called Meadow Brook Golf Course in Rhode Island. It was my first time playing the course. I played from the blue tees. The black tees weren't set up, and it seemed like some of the blue tees were in places they'd normally put the black tees, so it was playing a little longer than the scorecard yardage. 

I played mostly by myself, and it was pretty wide open until I ran into the group in front of me around the 14th hole. I finished the final hole with the group behind me (they send you off the 2nd hole so my last hole was 1). 

1. (My last hole played). Weak cut driver out to the right side, about a foot into the rough. 6-iron to the right side, 25 feet. Pretty simple 2-putt. (E)
  2. Split the fairway bunkers a real nice driver right down the middle. Hit a 3-wood a touch thin to 27 feet. Lipped out the eagle, tapped in for birdie. (-1)
  3. Hung a driver just slightly out to the right, had a SW from about 105 in kind of a shaky lie. Struck it cleaner than I thought I would be able to. Made the hooking birdie putt from 18 feet. (-2)
  4. Hooked the hell out of a hybrid into some deep rough. Chipped over a hump but just didn't get the roll-out I needed. Lipped out the 16-footer for par. (-1)
  5. 467-yard par 4, hit a pretty nice driver but still had 215 in. Lasered a 3-iron right at the flag, trickled just past it. Barely missed the 18-footer for birdie. (-1)
  6. Played my 7-iron to the center of the green with the flag back-right tucked behind a bunker. Hooked it slightly, had 35 feet. Good lag putt, tapped in for par. (-1)
  7. Thought I could maybe challenge the cross bunker with a driver, but decided to lay up short of it with a 3-wood. Had an 8-iron from about 150 into a bit of wind (the holes close to the clubhouse were a bit windier since they're more exposed). Flag was tucked front-right behind a bunker, tried to play it to the center of the green with some cut but it came off straight at the flag, 5 feet short. Tapped in for birdie. (-2)
  8. Took on the trees on the right just a little too much, I think it may have clipped one but I managed to cut the corner and it landed in the fairway. Hooked my hybrid a little, 80 yards short of the flag in the left rough. LW to 27 feet, curled in the putt. (-3)
  9. Pulled my driver just slightly, between the two fairway bunkers but safely in the fairway. 9-iron up the hill, felt like I thinned it but I got lucky and it finished hole-high, 15 feet right. Just missed the birdie putt. (-3)
  10. Hit a cut-off 5-iron from 185, downhill, into a bit of a breeze. I was between 6 and 5, went with the cut-off 5 to keep it low. Landed and stuck at 4 feet. (-4)
  11. Hit one of my best drivers of the day, had 9-iron in. Hit a really nice shot to 9 feet, but lipped out. (-4)
  12. Another awesome driver, and a slightly thin 3-wood to about 5 yard short of the green. Really mediocre chip to 9 feet. Two putts for par. (-4)
  13. Hit a real nice driver well over the center fairway bunker, had pitching wedge in. Hit it to 13 feet, curled in another birdie putt. (-5)
  14. Tried to cut a driver but it stayed left, caught a tree but fell straight down. Had a 5-iron from 188, tried to play to the center of the green but I pushed it, again right at the flag to 4 feet. Made the putt for birdie. (-6)
  15. Pretty blah pull-cut driver to the center of the fairway but short on a 629-yard par-5. Flared a 3-wood into the right rough. The green was obscured by trees and I tried to slide a 6-iron around them, but it came up a couple yards short-into one of the front bunkers. Chipped to 9 feet, made the par putt. (-6)
  16. Flared a driver out to the right rough, had an 8-iron in. Got slightly more of the ball than I thought I could out of the rough, it trickled a few feet into the rough. Lucked out with the lie, chipped to 3 feet, made the par putt. (-6)
  17. The hole is listed at 164 but the green is so deep and the pin was back, so I had it at 189 to the flag. Thought I hit a dead-perfect 5-iron, but it rolled about 2 feet off the back, into the rough. Nice chip to 4 feet, made the par. (-6)
  18. Perfect driver to the center of the fairway. Really week 9-iron missed short and right. Chipped to 9 feet, rolled in a pretty tough downhill putt for par. (-6)
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Meadow Brook is a nice course. 15 is a monster long Par 5 for a short hitter like me! When I played it last, I was with another guy and we decide to play that hole from the black tees. It felt like playing two holes from there!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 year later...

It's been a while, so I figured I'd post some videos. 

Handicap is currently 1.3. I'm playing pretty much fine all around but not stellar in any one part of my game. Irons are going pretty straight, driver is solid (got fit for a new one, which added a few yards of distance), short game has been a bit iffy since my local course made the short game area members-only this year, putting has been better this year after switching to a mallet putter (those misses off the toe are finishing much closer to the green).

I'm hitting my long irons better than I ever have, but I've been frustratingly mediocre on shots from about 40-95 yards. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, jamo said:

Handicap is currently 1.3.

Down to a .5 at today's revision, which is the lowest it's been I think since sometime in 2011. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 3

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 1322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!