IGNORED

New R9 Irons vs. New Cobra S2 Irons

Note: This thread is 5251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. In search of pure Irons what should I do next?

• 1. Stay with the R9's and adjust my yardage down.
    • 2. Work with the S2's and deal with the fade
    • 3. Go back to the old SII Irons
    • 4. Wait for the new 2010 models to come out!

I cleaned out a bunch of clubs and old sets and traded them in to get a set of Cobra S2's and the New Taylor Made R9 irons (because I couldn't decide). The Cobras came about 5/8" too long for me so I had them trimmed. The R9's were stock length like my old Cobra S9II's. Here's my thoughts :

The Cobra's :
1. They are made stronger by 1/2 club than my previous Cobra clubs.
2. They are easily 10 - 15 yards longer than my previous Cobras
3. They seem to have a fade on everything and are not as accurate.
4. Impact feels great.
5. Very forgiving off of lousy lies.

The Taylor Mades:
1. Made stringer too but... easily 10 yards shorter than my old Cobras.
2. They fly dead straight. Very accurate.
3. They are only made of Stainless Steel, no maranging or special stainless and...
4. They feel not so great, in fact a bit stinging.
5. Not quite as forgiving...

I love cobra clubs.

But if the taylormades are going straight for you go with them.
10 yards isn't worth the greens missed.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Yo, its not the irons! Technology today is tremendous no matter what club you get. Stop buying a bunch of iron sets and blaming the irons when you hit fades all day. What you need to do is sell the taylormades and get some serious lessons and learn how to hit the ball "dead straight" with any club. There is no excuse for blaming technology nowadays. Nothing personal, just take the advice. It will really help you out more than what anyone else will say.

In my Grom:
R9 460 Aldila RE-AX 60g Stiff
07' Burner 3 Wood Stiff
09' Rescue 2 and 4 Stiff
09' Burner 3-PW Superfast 85 Stiff 09' Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel and Oil Can Wedges 50,54,60SeeMore Putter Pro V1 2.0 SG 2.5

If you hit the R9's dead straight you shouldn't have a dilemma.

Titleist irons aren't what he wants though

He wants forgiveness not workability. (well that's what I think he wants but I'm not him)

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Yo, its not the irons! Technology today is tremendous no matter what club you get. Stop buying a bunch of iron sets and blaming the irons when you hit fades all day. What you need to do is sell the taylormades and get some serious lessons and learn how to hit the ball "dead straight" with any club. There is no excuse for blaming technology nowadays. Nothing personal, just take the advice. It will really help you out more than what anyone else will say.

You're assuming I don't take lessons. I've taken lessons from a professional who played on the (then ) Nike tour for over 5 years. Yes, I want technology to help me as much as possible, but I realize the club isn't going to hit itself.

The type of irons make a huge difference.

The type of irons make a huge difference.[/QUOTE]

*Unless you are switching from super game improvement irons to very traditional blades, then I'm afraid you are very wrong sir; technology is too good nowadays. Your professional nike tour coach should teach you how to hit a draw, fade, or dead straight on command with any iron you use. Any honest professional would tell you that it is some kind of operator error. Not the club. Don't reject good advice.

In my Grom:
07' Burner 3 Wood Stiff
09' Rescue 2 and 4 Stiff
09' Burner 3-PW Superfast 85 Stiff 09' Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel and Oil Can Wedges 50,54,60SeeMore Putter Pro V1 2.0 SG 2.5

The type of irons make a huge difference.

*Unless you are switching from super game improvement irons to very traditional blades, then I'm afraid you are very wrong sir; technology is too good nowadays. Your professional nike tour coach should teach you how to hit a draw, fade, or dead straight on command with any iron you use. Any honest professional would tell you that it is some kind of operator error. Not the club. Don't reject good advice.[/QUOTE]

types of irons do make a differance

[/QUOTE]technology is too good nowadays. Your professional nike tour coach should teach you how to hit a draw, fade, or dead straight on command with any iron you use. Any honest professional would tell you that it is some kind of operator error. Not the club. Don't reject good advice.[/QUOTE]

Lean Mean says "Technology is too good" If you're such a purist why do you use the latest technology ADJUSTABLE driver? Is that because you can't hit a Draw on command with your driver? What makes you so sure my pro isn't teaching me how to hit those shots? Who says I'm not trying to get better and eventually play blades?

I annoy you because I like to try out different sets of clubs.

The R9's are not the TP and the Cobra's are not the Forged ones, right? If that is the case, I haven't hit the Cobra's but in an o'yes I won a set of R9 (Not TP). Those things are really forgiving, my cousin is playing with them, they go straight and far. When I tried the 4 iron it went around 239 yards, according to the GPS, I think the feel and sound is pretty good.

It's obvious that you care about distance so, if you like the Cobra's stay with them, there's something you are doing that causes that fade, you will correct it and still get the same distance.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I just bought some Cobra S9's. Love 'em. Have you tried the Burner's? I have heard those to be superior to the R9's in the TM line. Haven't tried the R9's myself, but I tried the Burners and they were real nice but I had slightly better results with the S9's.

TaylorMade R11S 9 Degree

TaylorMade R5 Dual 3 Wood
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 19 and 22 degree
Ping Eye 2 Plus Irons 4-SW
Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade putter

Lean Mean says "Technology is too good" If you're such a purist why do you use the latest technology ADJUSTABLE driver? Is that because you can't hit a Draw on command with your driver? What makes you so sure my pro isn't teaching me how to hit those shots? Who says I'm not trying to get better and eventually play blades?

I annoy you because I like to try out different sets of clubs.[/QUOTE]

The adjustable 460 only adds or decreases the loft of the face for trajectory. It doesn't even play a role in sidespin, newbie.

In my Grom:
07' Burner 3 Wood Stiff
09' Rescue 2 and 4 Stiff

Note: This thread is 5251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!