IGNORED

2 drivers to choose from

Ferg
Note: This thread is 5245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, funny story.

My wife called up one of her business partners that supplies them with promotional products. They supply a lot of golf items too. She told him she wanted to get me something good for xmas that was golf related. He said no worries and to not worry about it. She was out for the day and he had sent an email letting her know a new 2007 taylor made burner was in the mail (free!!!). In the email he was also making sure I was right handed.

My wife comes to me sad and ends up telling me that she wanted it to be a surprise for an extra xmas gift, but I wouldn't be able to use it since it was right handed and I'm left handed. I excitedly but calmly said "Babe, I am left handing in throwing... but right handing in swing clubs / bats". So she was all pissed and kicking herself for telling me that I was going to get an extra present. So since she told me, she went ahead and gave it to me.

Now my dilemma. I currently have a Callaway Hyper X 10.5* stiff.

The Burner is still wrapped. I'm trying to figure if this may be a better club for me or not. I'm trying to decide if I should try to go to the golf shop and try to trade it in for credit towards something, or keep it and start my club ho collection.
The burner is a regular shaft.

I have a SS of about 96mph.

Any thoughts?

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
Wedges: 56* CCI and 60* SV Tour
DF 960

That is one thing I have thought of. I may have to venture out to try.

I have thought about just keeping it and having options to change back and forth. I have a 2ndary set that will have old clubs in it in case someone ever wants to go and doesn't have their own set.

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
Wedges: 56* CCI and 60* SV Tour
DF 960

since neither you nor your wife paid for the driver, I would thank the person at your wifes office that hooked her/you up and give the driver a go.

Being a 2007 model (since Taylor made comes out with new products faster the computer companies) it is several models behind. That isn't to say it isn't a fantastic driver, but it probably doesn't have a whole ton of value any longer.

I recommend that you keep the driver...

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Keep the driver.
Umm a SS of 96 is kinda between regular and stiff.
Also one company's regular can be another stiff and vice versa.

Try it out.
If you don't like it fine.
You might find somebody that could use it.
If you do then you've got a great club.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I agree, the 07 Burner is a really great driver and even if the shaft isn't right for you, you could try to trade the Callaway for a new shaft.

I may have missed it but I don't think you said how well you hit the Callaway. If you smash that down the middle every time, then you should probably stick with it. If you don't hit the Callaway well, you could do a lot worse than the Burner.

As golf'n'biker said, find a store with a demo and give it a go.

What's in my Eagles & Birdies Bag:
taylormade.gif R9 SuperTri Stiff 10.5˚
mizuno.gif MX-700 15˚ 3W Stiff
mizuno.gif MX-700 20˚ & 23˚ Hybrid Stiff
mizuno.gif MP 52 4-PW Nippon 950 Stiffmizuno.gif MP - T 10 52˚/07˚ & 58˚/10˚ping.gif Redwood Anser 34"titleist.gif Pro V1x FJD   

You should take it to a golf store/pro shop and test it on a launch monitor. Since you have put no money into it, you could even have it re-shafted with a shaft that fits your swing perfectly and you wont have to pay much. You could even sell the Hyper X to pay for some/all of it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your wife already felt bad because it is no longer a surprise. She obviously was trying to get you a gift that would please you. Take it to the range and give it a go.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

I would keep it. It's free and you may like it better. I love mine.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

I play an X460, which I think is basically the same as a Hyper X. I just picked up an '09 Tour Burner, and hit an '07 Burner at the same time. The '07 was a Regular shaft, but I can say for certain in my case that it is more forgiving and longer then my X460. I'd give it a shot.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

since neither you nor your wife paid for the driver, I would thank the person at your wifes office that hooked her/you up and give the driver a go.

i agree with this

the 2007 burner in my opinion is the best burner in the series currently (i would keep it)
DRIVER: titleist 910d3 9.5* project x 6.0
3WOOD: titleist 910fd 15* project x 6.0
HYBRID: titleist 910h 19* project x 6.0
IRONS: titleist 710 ap2 3-pw nippon xstiff
WEDGES: titleist vokey 52.08 & 58.08
PUTTER: scotty cameron studio select newport 2

based on how much they bring on ebay, I would keep it. Who knows, you may end up liking it better than the Callaway. If you really aren't sure, tape it up and take it to the range. That way it still looks nice if you decide to sell it.

1) try the driver at your local golf store compared with your Callaway.
2) ask what they would give you if you brought in the club?
3) find out what they are selling for on ebay to compare with the golf store.

after you receive all the facts it will be easier to decide what to do.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

In my honest opinion the '07 Burner is one of the best drivers TMade has made. Maybe even the best. I'd say give the driver a go. You will most likely be pleased.

I agree. I have heard the same also. A friend of mine has an 07 burner and loves it.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Let me see if I understand, you have a driver you like and now have a second driver (free) that you don't know if you like or not? Hmmm. I say go play with it. Problem solved.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Taylormade Burner Drivers (either the 07, tour Burner, or 09) are some of the best drivers ever created. At least test it out to see if you like it

Driver:Taylormade Burner 10.5 with Aldila NV 65S
FW Wood: Nike Dymo 3 Wood with Aldila VooDoo
Hybrids: Adams Idea A7 3 Hybrid
Irons: Ping i15 4-P
Wedge: Cleveland CG15 52.10 and Titleist Vokey 58.12Putter: Bettinardi BC3Ball: Callaway Tour i(z) and Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!