IGNORED

Thoughts on my swing?

tws1098
Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone, I am sure this is asked on a daily basis, but can I get some feedback on my swing? I am particularly interested in the upper body. I have since fixed my front leg movement (only a slight bend vs. the huge bend inward).

The video is from last year (just after I started playing). So try not to tear me apart to bad haha. Thanks for any thoughts / help.

Hey everyone, I am sure this is asked on a daily basis, but can I get some feedback on my swing? I am particularly interested in the upper body. I have since fixed my front leg movement (only a slight bend vs. the huge bend inward).

1st. Are you hitting different clubs in the video from the last swing it almost looks like a hybrid, not a good club to take a video with an order to give a swing analysis.

2nd. High backswing, left arm bending. Try to keep left arm straighter at top of backswing and head down to where your chin is over your shoulder. 3rd. Turning over your left foot and raising your heel as if your swinging a Baseball bat and not a golf club. 4th. Looks a little over the top, tho we cant see the ball flight because video changes to next swing it looks as if the ball is definitley going right. 5th. Looks like your weight is on your back foot and your scooping the ball. Not bad for someone just starting at all and in no way am i trying to tear you apart. Just picking out any subtle wrong move i can find in your swing. Things i would work on is slowing down your backswing and keeping your head down and left arm straight. Turn your hips and lower body but dont bend your left knee so much and lift your heel so much, try to keep it a smooth transistion of your weight. Hit down on the ball and dont try to kill it or lift it. The clubs loft is designed for when the ball is struck down on with your hands in front of the ball at impact the ball will compress and roll up the clubface with a good amount of backspin. You dont scoop it and lift it into the air. You lose distance, control and backspin. Hopefully this helps you. I am in no way a pro, just a regular guy that has been down every road in golf and play golf as much as i can. I have learned alot from my own mistakes and help others from making them themselves.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

You've got a little bit of an overswing.See at the top of the swing you're way past parallel.It seems to be coming from the fact that you're turning your hips the full 90 degrees in the backswing.Hip turn is good, but it's just a little too much for the backswing, as you're not 'coiling' the hips against the torso and thus probably not creating that much power.Hope that helps.

Edit : NickyNoodles has a better handicap than me, definitely heed his or her advice first

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

You've got a little bit of an overswing.See at the top of the swing you're way past parallel.It seems to be coming from the fact that you're turning your hips the full 90 degrees in the backswing.Hip turn is good, but it's just a little too much for the backswing, as you're not 'coiling' the hips against the torso and thus probably not creating that much power.Hope that helps.

I was about to post basically the same thing. Looks like an old-school swing with the huge hip turn and overswing. I think those guys had to do that back in the day because of the hickory shafts they used.

Anyway, you would probably gain consistency with a more compact swing. Watch the pros when they hit irons...it is such a simple, efficient motion. Of course, easier said than done, otherwise we'd all be pros. But you look like an athletic guy, and sounds like you're working hard at the game, so I'm sure you're going to start lowering that handicap soon. Good luck!

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I was really curious what you would say about my left arm. I feel as though I have slowed down my backswing, but actually have greater clubhead speed now (97-99mph). My legs are 1000 times better (no more baseball swing haha). But I would be willing to bet my left arm looks the same. I had just read about keeping the left arm straight and to come up to parallel. It is diffeicult without taping yourself to see the angle of your club though, so I will be video taping more swings in the near future. I will go back farther so you can see ball travel as well.

Someone mentioned that it looked like my ball was heading right. I generally do not have a slice but a push is present about 50% of the time (more so with my irons). I struggle with my irons tremendously. Any other suggestions are certaintly welcome. I think I take criticism and advice well so keep it coming. Thanks again.

A straighter left arm will also help you keep it closer to parallel (to swing line) at top.

You have pretty good movement despite being somewhat off balance. Stop overswinging, and you'll get more controlled power behind ball on followthrough.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

TWS 1098 - The left arm staying straight is good advice...also watch a professional golfers left leg and your left leg. Their left foot stays for the most part on the ground. Also you can shorten you swing a little and you will have more consistency.

Good luck!

If your pushing right as i stated that it looked like your ball would go right by your swing, its most likely do to the high backswing and the bending of your left arm, then the slight over the top move is making you come inside. Like i said before and others have also said the main things alot of amatures like us do is try to scoop the ball into the air and swing hard as if the harder we swing the farther it will go. When your (Insert your Lob wedge yardage here or PW) yards away and your using your LW or PW, think of the swing you take. Most times its a nice smooth swing and you hit those irons well. Now when your 170 yards away and your hitting your 6i or whatever you use from that distance just because its farther does not mean you swing any harder then when you hit your PW from 100 yards out. The loft of the club is designed to hit the ball that far with the same swing you take with your PW/LW with. That smooth swing and crisp ball contact comes from not over swinging or killing the ball. I had a problem with trying to kill my Driver and i would hit the ball 285-300 yards straight 5-10% of the time. The other 90-95% of the time it would go 240 straight and 60 right/left. The reason is because i was trying to kill the ball because i was looking at a par 4 green 320 yards away and trying to hit it there, hence the same thing when you have a 6i and your looking at the green and you think you have to kill it to get it there. When i started aiming at the tee with my Driver to and object on the ground 6 feet infront of me and taking a smooth iron swing with my driver did i start to consistantly hit fairways. The ball might only go 265-280 yards but it goes straight 90% of the time compared to 10% trying to kill the ball. Another thing with the scooping, i will give you the best drill to get awesome ball contact with your irons and get major backspin ( I hope all of you try this because it is great) Next time your at the range grab a bunch of tees, preferably the broken ones you see laying around. Drop your ball on the mat or grass and lay a tee down flat on the ground 4-5 inches in front of your ball long ways. Swing with your irons while looking at the tee and try to hit through the ball and also take the tee of the ground. This will force you to hit down at the ball and take a divot infront of the ball in order to hit the tee. Once you feel how your swing is when you do that you will notice a major difference and your swing, how crisp you hit the ball and will be amazed of how you can bring the ball back on a rope (depending on how sharp your grooves are or if your using a soft ball). Take these tips and hit the range and the next time you go on the course you will come back on here and send me a message of how good you controlled the ball and how good you were hitting your irons. (I hope) Good Luck and let me know how things worked out.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

Ball:

Nickynoodles - I appreciate the response, one of the most helpful posts i have read during my short membership here. I will be trying your drill, it certaintly sounds good in theory. I like to think I am a quick learner so hopefully I will be back shorter than later telling you that I am hitting the ball better (with an updated swing video to prove it).

I also appreciate the other comments as they seem pretty universal from all of you. I might not be on for a while do to much mirror practicing and some playing (weather permitting)

Nickynoodles - I appreciate the response, one of the most helpful posts i have read during my short membership here. I will be trying your drill, it certaintly sounds good in theory. I like to think I am a quick learner so hopefully I will be back shorter than later telling you that I am hitting the ball better (with an updated swing video to prove it).

Have you tried the drill yet??? Let me know. I was just hitting balls today in 30 degree weather in P.A. Was supposed to play today but my buddies backed out. Said it was to cold

Ball:

Have you tried the drill yet??? Let me know. I was just hitting balls today in 30 degree weather in P.A. Was supposed to play today but my buddies backed out. Said it was to cold

Where at in PA? Unless it is windy it is never too cold

Where at in PA? Unless it is windy it is never too cold

Yea i know i was ready to play and got a phone call saying it was to cold. I'll play golf in any weather. I live in Fairless Hills, P.a. About 15 miles North East of Philadelphia. Right smack in the middle of about 50 amazing courses within 20 miles. Between New Jersey and P.a.

Ball:

Yea i know i was ready to play and got a phone call saying it was to cold. I'll play golf in any weather. I live in Fairless Hills, P.a. About 15 miles North East of Philadelphia. Right smack in the middle of about 50 amazing courses within 20 miles. Between New Jersey and P.a.

That's cool I am actually up at East Stroudsburg University for school, so not too far away. I live around Gettysburg though.

Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!