IGNORED

Weather Gear recommendation.

Note: This thread is 5248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone have any suggestions on a windbreaking/waterproof outerwear? I dont own any gear like that except a basic windbreaker and i would like to know where to start, because i hear that stuff is quite expensive.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I have FJ wintersof gloves and they are nice. Although they don't block the wind as much as i'd like. Still beats freezing hands.

Thats all I got.

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
Wedges: 56* CCI and 60* SV Tour
DF 960

I use a Greg Norman wind breaker. It's comfortable to swing in , it has a one-pocket in the front (like a hooded sweatshirt pocket) which is great to keep your hands warm if you're walking, it's roomy enough to wear some layers in.

Your best bet is to go to a golf super store - try some on - and swing in them. Good stuff is often on sale.

I found mine at Dillards or Nordstrom actually.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I have several jackets that are waterproof. They are a FJ dry-joy, Mizuno, and an older Nike jacket. All of them are great in the rain. I have worn each of them many times in heavy rain, on and off the course. No complaints on any of them for performance. The Mizuno jacket is kind of nice in that the sleeves can come off with snaps at the elbow. Nice feature in that it can get really hot wearing a jacket in 80º weather, even if it is raining. With the Mizuno and Nike jacket, I have the matching pants.

My advise on rain gear is to not be concerned about the cost and get something good. Since you won't wear it very often, it will last for a long time. It is worth paying $100+ for a good rain jacket that will last for 10+ years. You don't want to go cheap, wear it a few times, then get wet. If you shop around, you can find good stuff on clearance.

It has been my experience, that it is better to get a larger size if you can. If you are at a store, try them on and make some mock swings to see if their are restrictions. I am borderline L-XL. The first jacket I got is a L. They are designed a little bigger than normal jackets knowing that they will be worn over other clothes, but I found them to be better bigger. The Dry-Joy jacket that I have is an XL and I would rather play in that. Although there is nothing wrong with the Mizuno jacket that is a L, when the sleeves come off, it is a little better. As an added bonus, rain pants are great as an extra, non restrictive, outer layer if you ever play in the cold. It doesn't have to be raining to wear them and they fit great over any other clothes you might have on.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Zero Restriction is the best IMO.

I also have a Nike cold weather/waterproof jacket I bought recently. Reminds of a North Face jacket. Its very nice too.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

What about gore-tex stuff?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

i went shopping for winter gear today and man that stuffs expensive...
i really liked the zero restriction stuff tho... i just wish i had the funds to buy it
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

when it's really cold and wet, I play in ski/snowboard pants, a skull cap, and Footjoy winter gloves.

I can't play in any of the cheap windbreaker tops I have, so just wear thermal underwear underneath a shirt and wear a sweatshirt on top.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Nothing wrong with gore-tex if you can find stuff that you can swing a club with. I think some of the companies that make golf rain gear use gore-tex. I would be weary about going to the local sporting goods store and just buying a gore-tex jacket however. I live near the Bass Pro Shops main store and they were having a big sale on most of the gore-tex stuff a few years ago. It was mostly for hunting and fishing but I thought there might be something good I could use for golfing. I went and tried on a few things but the regular stuff just wasn't made for a golf swing. The jackets were great and you could probably take a shower in them and not get wet, but you can't swing a club comfortably. If at all possible, when you pick something out, go to a store and try it on.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I have several Mountain Hardware Gore-tex shells that I got for hiking back when I lived in NJ that I've worn and feel comfortable to me. I know that statement may sound funny to those not from NJ area. There are a lot of trails there, trust me.

I've found that a lot of the hiking gear (other than shoes of course) can be crossed over and seem to work fine. I just played in 35 degree weather with a canvas pullover and 2 other layers including hiking long underwear and t-shirt. I was perfectly comfortable. The nice thing is that good hiking gear also wicks away sweat, so that helps a lot. In NJ I used to go to Campmor a lot in northern NJ, they had pretty good prices on gear. This is unfortunately not the best time though to get deals, most are to be had in the spring when they have the fall winter stuff still on the racks. I got a $450 shell for like $200 then.

I'd recommend FJ or Zero Restriction... try TGW, they offer some really great sales and discounts, quick shipping too

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

the best rain gear in europe is made by galvin green and it's better than any other company in the US/Europe. The Galvin Green jackets are great to swing in and use goretex, which means you won't get wet even if it's pouring rain. The downside is that the jackets are super expensive (i believe they cost more than a scotty cameron putter if u buy it at the retail price of 300$).

thanks homeys!
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

I have a Columbia Granite Tors shell that is waterproof and breathable. I can layer that with a fleece vest or my windblocker fleece jacket depending on the conditions. I also have Valley Forge winter golf gloves that are quite tacky in the palm area. Ear grips and a winter ball cap round that out. The Granite Tors pants are available too but I have not gotten around to buying those yet. It is probably one of the cheapest and versatile systems out there IMO.

In my RJ bag:

Burner '07 10.5*
Burner '07 3 wood
R7 CGB Max 5 wood Fybrid 19.5* Raylor 22* hybrid Di7 5i-gw FX 55* wedge Tiffany 35" h/s putter

Sun Mountain Reflex LS

From NC, but working up on Nantucket,Mass. Needed something for the rain/wind. Got this top last week from Edwin Watts. Best outerwear I have ever had. So comfortable, stretches a bit, nice elastic collar with velcro adjustment, neck fits tight but stretchy and comfortable, made (cut) for golfing and no restricted feeling like most non-golfing outerwear. Just the perfect top. Waterproof and windproof. Tested it hard last week when we went up to Plymouth,Mass for Thanksgiving. Played an awesome course (Pine Hills) and it was blowing 25 mpw and raining steady. Out just a few hours ago here on Nantucket at the range. Winds in the mid 40's and constant rain. This top rocks!! Now if I could find something this nice for the rest of my body. Ha ha...

Went to the website to find the link. They are on sale $50 off. I am ordering another one myself. Got mine in the store (Hyannis,Mass) for $145. They are $100 on the website on sale...

http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/webapp...atalogId=10001

Tried to edit the last post, but too much time had passed...

Talking about velcro on the collar, I mean sleeve collars (wrist). The neck area is a 1/4 zip and the most comfortable I have worn.

Talking about "winds in the 40's.." I mean the actual wind was in the 40+MPH area. Not temps in the 40's. This top has been tested fully and passed with flying colors

Just ordered another myself. Glad I saw this post or I would not have seen them on sale at the Edwin Watts website. Thanks

It doesn't get that cold in VA. ~40.

Bottoms: I wear flannel lined pants from LL Bean and will put my FJ rain pants over them if its windy.

Tops: Under Armor winter long sleeve, golf shirt, sweatshirt, and occasionally XL windbreaker if windy.

Hands: I wear the FJ Wintersof gloves and like them.

Head: Taylormade sockhat that covers to the tops of my sunglasses, ears, and top of neck.

Feet: Same ol' FJ shoes with Wigwam wool socks.

Too much detail?

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

i cannot stand playing with long sleeves unless is is a tighter fit.
so i own a couple adidas climaproof short sleeve wind shirts that are nice
DRIVER: titleist 910d3 9.5* project x 6.0
3WOOD: titleist 910fd 15* project x 6.0
HYBRID: titleist 910h 19* project x 6.0
IRONS: titleist 710 ap2 3-pw nippon xstiff
WEDGES: titleist vokey 52.08 & 58.08
PUTTER: scotty cameron studio select newport 2

Note: This thread is 5248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!