IGNORED

14/15 degree hybrid, 3 wood, or lob wedge?

kilbyman
Note: This thread is 5206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

I was wondering about your thoughts on whether i should keep the 60 degree lw or if gaming a 3W or a 1 hybrid would be more advantageous? I struggle with the driver quite a bit, swing around 90 mph, use 8i for 150.

Thanks

What's the LW have to do with anything? Are you meaning your club count in your bag? Or are you teeing off with it? hah.

If you're looking for better shots off the tee without your driver, I'd go with the 3W. Seems to me to be a much more versatile option. A 1-hybrid would be pretty tough to hit, especially off the ground I would think.

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

I agree with Chubbs - this sounds like two separate issues.

Your 8-iron yardage has little to do with your driver. Your long irons are more relevant. I have an old set of MacGregors where the 8 iron is my 140 yd club - I hit the 2-iron from that set about 225. When I use that set, I bring a 5 wood and a driver.

The 2-iron in another set I use goes about 245. When I use them I bag either the 2i or a 5w, then either a 3w or driver depending on the course. It's nice to have options.

I wouldn't go without a 60* wedge, unless I had a 56* or 58* that I could really open up. There are times when a lob wedge is simply the best club for the task at hand - no matter what anyone says.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Hey guys,

I suppose we all have bag configuration issues. I'm sorta weighing my opotions now, as well....how to fill that 14th slot.

I also went with 5 iron through 4 wedges. I guess we differ at the long end of the bag. Struggling with the driver isn't an unusual quandry. I was in a local golf store the other day and heard the owner comment that he sold more drivers and putters than any other single type of club. He said the amounts were way ahead of anything else. I'm not sure of what time frame he was talking about. Anyway...thing is that many people make changes with the two lowest lofted sticks in the bag quite often. It seems odd that your driver swingspeed is 90mph yet you are getting 150 yds from your 8 iron. That is a long 8 iron for a 90mph driver swingspeed. What is your trajectory like? I can't tell you what to do, but I can stress that the correctly fitted 3 wood can work magic for your game. You can swing smoothly off the tee and get some great placement in the fairway. It can add some nice trajectory on those tee shots. It can also work wonders eating up distance from the ground on long par 4's and 5's. You'll be thrilled when you see the ball rocket off the face and eat up the distance to the pin from way out. Getting the right fit is huge. Look at the shape of the clubhead. Get a 3 Wood that is made to launch the ball up for you. Get one with a forgiving shaft that will complement the head design and get the ball up quickly and provide lots of carry. I'd stay away from the deep faced heads that seem to be nice off the tee but don't do so well off the deck. Get the stick that inspires confidence off the deck. You can always tee it very low for tee shots. A properly fitted 3 wood will give you options that you simply will grow to rely on heavily. Tee shots on tight par 4's and 5's, long par 3's, long approach or positioning shots. It can be quite liberating. Looks like from your signature line that you've got the wedges covered. I don't recommend the low lofted hybrids as they would require tremendous clubhead speed to gain anything more of them than you are getting from your higher lofted hybrids. I really think the right 3 wood would help you a lot. I've been very pleased with the Taylor Made Burner. Mine is one of the 2007 models that you can find at Dicks, TGW.com and other places for $129. There is always ebay, too. These sticks are really easy to hit from any lie. The stock "superfast" shaft is very, very light but still has some degree of spine. My misses with mine are high left misses. I can aim down the right side of any fairway (tee box or from the ground) and know that I've eliminated the right rough. The ball is gonna hold true and then draw a bit. I maybe should have gone with the next flex up. I've been toying with the idea of adding a 5 wood. Cleveland Launcher Fairways come highly recomended, too. Check out the 17 degree high launch 3 wood. It's a great "one wood does it all" choice for many golfers. Good luck.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I would say go with a 3-wood and drop the LW.

One reason for this: LW takes a lot of practice to hit well. With a higher handicap, you would likely benefit more from practicing other parts of your game. Us amateurs only get so much practice time.

Your driver problems may be swing related. Have you had a lesson lately?

If a 3-wood seems difficult to hit, try a 4-wood - a little more loft, but still gets good distance.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say go with a 3-wood and drop the LW.

But it's a lot easier to practice with a LW in your backyard than a 3 Wood.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

I'd go with a 60-degree sand wedge but that's just me... I don't carry a "lob wedge" that's because my 60-degree has 10 degrees of bounce i guess...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

60 is great club...58 is the perfect club for me. I can open it as wide as needed and it plays less bounce then my old.

I do have volkey 60 with a 6 bounce in my garage...that one is shovel though. learning to use it for tight lies is on the spring time agenda for me.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

hmm, this is a tough one. i just wish they would revise the rule and allow us to carry 15 clubs, haha.
if it were me, i would drop the 17º hybrid and replace it with a 3 wood, which would enable you to keep your LW. you already have 3 hybrids in your bag, and theres prolly not much of adifference in distance between the 17º and the 19º hybrid...anyway, that would be my suggestion

I picked up an Adams Speedline 3 wood/hybrid. I think I'm going to dump the LW for now, I just duff it far too much. Maybe when I get better i'll ditch the 2brid and put the LW back in. But the new club is nice... nice high trajectory with the ProLaunch blue axis, nice small head.

What are your distances on the 17 and 19 hybrids?

You must have to hit a lot of 180 plus shots for all those hybrids.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

I recently took my 3 wood out of my bag and went with a 15˚ hybrid instead. I did this mainly because I felt like I could control the direction of a hybrid much easier than a fairway wood (more upright with a shorter shaft). I hit the 15˚ hybrid about 240-250 yards, but like has been said before you need quite a bit of clubhead speed to get any distance from a low-lofted hybrid.

Seeing as you said you are looking for a new club because you can be inconsistent with your driver, I'd say first make sure your driver is properly fitted to you and practice hitting that.

At the end of the day, you still have to swing the club and if your swing isn't in shape it won't matter what club is in your hand.

IMO unless you just really Love your 60 degree Wedge and are very confident/competent with it, I'd take it out of the bag. I think most High handicappers (and many low handicappers) can be more consisent and get the ball closer to the hole more often playing less lofted clubs (8,9, PW, 52, 56) in the Short game. At a 36 Handicap level you might really find a hybrid as a 'go to' club for par 5's and control off the tee. I have a 16 degree hybrid that I play that has been pretty nice.

Snowman0157

So I went out several days ago and realize my 60 is my go-to from 70 to 15 yds, so probably i'll keep that guy in the bag. So I've decided to ditch either the 17 degree or 19 degree, since i also have the 22 degree. The difference in the 17 and 19 is about 15 yds and from 19 to 22 is about 10 or so. Any suggestions on which one to take out?

So I went out several days ago and realize my 60 is my go-to from 70 to 15 yds, so probably i'll keep that guy in the bag. So I've decided to ditch either the 17 degree or 19 degree, since i also have the 22 degree. The difference in the 17 and 19 is about 15 yds and from 19 to 22 is about 10 or so. Any suggestions on which one to take out?

Seriously?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!