IGNORED

How long to get used to new set of clubs

very handicap
Note: This thread is 5234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's impossible to say. Everyone is going to be different. Some will pick up new sticks and have major improvements. Others will be quite different. I got new equipment for the first time in 15 years this past Feb. Now granted, I had a lot of other things going on that took me away from the game at that time but as soon as I got going it got much better. You can click the "scorecards" tab below and check the scores but it took me a little time and now my handicap is the lowest it's been. I thought it might go lower but this late fall and early winter I haven't had the time to keep the swing where it needs to be so I'm not hitting on much. I played nine holes wednesday, first time out in weeks. Took me three hole to warm up but then I played really well and putted great. But the equipment change has been a huge plus and the break in period really wasn't that long.

When I switched from Mizuno MP-37's to MacGregor MT Pro-M's it took about 3 weeks to feel completely confident in them(I hit balls every day when the weathers good). Both the MP-37's and the Pro-M's are clean forged blades so like others have stated it takes less time when switching to a simular club.

Another piece to it is how well you initially hit the ball. When I switched irons it brought down my ball flight and also added distance to my irons. Those were two things I was looking to gain out of the change and it worked. Others may make a switch and not get the effect they were hoping and think they just need to get use to them when really they may have switched to the wrong club.

That's why demo-ing a set before you buy and getting fitted can save you a lot of heartache and cash in the long run.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I believe it will take the average golfer that plays once a week A FULL SEASON to truly dial-in a new set of irons.

It depends on how radical a change your iron switch is.

I played stiff-shafted Ping Eye2 clones (SuperGI) from 1994 until this April. In April, I switched to regular-shafted - Uniflex - X20 irons (UltraGI). Also, this was my first full season with my "rebuilt" 3/4 swing, so I had a lot of moving parts I was trying to coordinate. Starting in Fall 2008 I had hit several versions of Ping, Callaway and Titleist irons, so it wasn't like I just grabbed a set off the shelf and hoped for luck. It took me about six weeks - play once a week and practice a couple of other times a week - to get comfortable with the clubs. Biggest problem was with wedges. The stock PW worked fined, but the AW and SW caused me a lot of problems. Never bought the stock SW - got a X-Forged which works fine - but the AW just wouldn't groove in. Finally dumped X20 AW for a CG 14. By comfortable, I mean I can go out, line up, and hit basic shots without "deep thought." Draw and fade works better some days than others. It will take another year to really get the irons - and my swing - on target.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whenever you buy a new set regardless of what brand, you have to take them to a reputable clubmaker/repairman to get the lofts and most importantly the lies checked. With that said, you have to be lie checked, I can't tell you how much of a difference there can be in one set of clubs. The same goes for shafts, they may say they are a certain flex but in most cases they are not.
I have had to bend every set of clubs I've had in the last 20 years. Chinese anyone.
Just 2 weeks ago I had a local bring me a brand new set of Taylormade irons and they were anywhere from 1 degree up to 1 down, the lofts varied by 1 and a half degrees on some clubs. Then to make matters even worse the swingweight varied throughout the set. So if you want to drive a nail with an axe it might not make a difference to you after awhile.
Those with forged clubs, depending on how much you practice and play should check your lofts often like 3 times a year.

Alpha V5 9.0 XStiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 13* Stiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 19* Hybrid Stiff
Cleveland CG Red Irons 4-PW Stiff
Merit Golf 52* StiffCleveland 900 series 56* & 60* RegScotty Cameron Laguna Mid-Slant"I hit 2 good balls today, I stepped on a rake."

Note: This thread is 5234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!