IGNORED

Plasma or LCD???

Dub
Note: This thread is 5204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought a Samsung 58" Plasma. Highest rated TV that Consumer Reports ever tested. All my friends have had HD TV's for a few years and they've all been blown-away watching the Patriots games on my new TV.

Depends on if you have a reflection issue. Get LCD in a bright room and Plasma in a dark room. Plasma is better picture but the glare could be too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the glare I mentioned.

the tv pivots back to the left getting even more sun but it does not show up at all.

We are very pleased with this Sony. Football has never looked so good in our house....forgive the cell phone camera.

I decided to go ahead and use this as an excuse to update our system....found a great deal on some new Polk speakers.

Just getting them hooked up now.

Went to Best Buy and found a swivel stand that is very handy.

it's been too cold to golf the few chances I've had...but I've needed the time on this project.....getting the old stuff out and running all new speaker wire has been time consuming...almost done now.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

if you are in darkish type room or have shades plasma is a no brainer...They are the bomb. I have the 50" Pioneer Elite and freakin love it!!!

if you are in a room with skylights or large wall windows you may want to go with LCD. they are brighter and during daylight conditions eastier to see.

Bottom line is if you spend enough money you will be very happy with either!! Don't go cheap!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I have the cheapest Panasonic plasma they make and I couldn't be happier. Panasonics are king now that Pioneer is out of the game. It is a great TV, I have it in a reasonably lit room and I have noticed any glare issues.

You can get a hell of a 50 inch TV for 700 bucks now.

Brian

Just like everything else i buy, I heavily researched this very issue a little more than a year ago. At that time, LCD black levels could not even come close to those of a plasma. They always looked washed out and grey. I bought a Panasonic plasma. And since I couldn't stop there, I got some Monitor Audio BR2s and a Denon 1909.

Another thing I notice is that on the newer LCDs, the super high refresh rates make some HD TV shows look too real to the point where the filming looks raw and without any cinematic effect. It's very hard to describe, but my friend just got a Samsung LCD and we were watching a show on cable with the refresh rate bumped to 120 HZ and I couldn't bear to watch it.

Check out this forum: http://www.avsforum.com

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Am I the only one who went with HD ILA?

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I few months ago i bought a 55 inch Samsung LCD. Can;t beat the picture. It is in direct sunlight most of the day and it is still looks good. ..

If you have light leakage into the viewing room, the LCD is the way to go. Also, match screen size with how far you will sit from the TV.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go with LED. Much better than either LCD or Plasma. Best Buy had a great price on Samsung LED during the holidays, and I think they will again for the Super Bowl.
LED's are the next generation. It uses much less energy, gives better color, contrast and is brighter. Also, the entire TV weighs much less compared to the same size LCD or Plasma.

I know what I am talking about because I am a research scientist on these subjects.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Then you should know better than to call it a LED TV, when it is a LCD TV with LED backlight (or sidelight perhaps, on some models). A LED monitor is one found on a calculator.
You probably know it, but people not knowing better might think they actually own a LED TV.

I agree that they are better than their fluorescent bretheren.

The money saved on energy is one thing, what I like more is that they don't get as hot and need lots of fans to cool them down. They may have fans, but surely the manufacturers would put in some which makes less noise. Less weight makes them easier to hang up on a wall. Sidelight contributes to very slim TVs, also suitable for wall mounting.

When it comes to size, I say the bigger the better, depending on usage and quality of video feed. The size is something you quickly get adjusted to. Lots of people regret after a few weeks they didn't buy a bigger one. I've got a 46" at about 2 yards distance, and it works very well.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Then you should know better than to call it a LED TV, when it is a LCD TV with LED backlight (or sidelight perhaps, on some models). A LED monitor is one found on a calculator.

No it is LED. They are made of light emitting diodes (hence LED). LCD's are liquid crystal displays. LED's are completely different from LCD's. LED's use much less electricity. New versions they are working on are organic LED's which is suppose to give even brighter colors and pictures.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My wife wanted me too get a 42, we got a 50. She is now very happy we did. It is amazing how much heat comes off a plasma. The picture is amazing but it is like a little big heater. I still couldn't be happier though. It is a moderate light room and I haven't noticed any glare issues.

Brian

No it is LED. They are made of light emitting diodes (hence LED). LCD's are liquid crystal displays. LED's are completely different from LCD's. LED's use much less electricity. New versions they are working on are organic LED's which is suppose to give even brighter colors and pictures.

Could you show me a TV of size 40+ on the market today that use LED not only as backlight?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

My wife wanted me too get a 42, we got a 50. She is now very happy we did. It is amazing how much heat comes off a plasma. The picture is amazing but it is like a little big heater. I still couldn't be happier though. It is a moderate light room and I haven't noticed any glare issues.

LCD unit had some heat output, too. Probably always a good idea to go larger, as you did, when space permits. I'm most likely going to put a plasma in the bedroom.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

My 46" LCD gives off 310W, so I can pretty much use it to heat up my living room when it gets cold. A waste of energy during the warmer seasons, but LCD with LED backlight was not an option when I bought it.

Note: This thread is 5204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!