IGNORED

Bogey Golfer Wants New Irons

Note: This thread is 5149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a bogey golfer looking for a new set of irons for this season. There are tons of great deals right on brand new previous year irons. Currently, I am playing Mizuno MX-19s. The biggest problem I have with the MX-19s is that they are so large and forgiving that it feels like swinging a shovel. I'd like to try something a little smaller, but still forgiving. I'm afraid that swinging the shovels is concealing my flaws instead of helping me improve. I've never tracked my handicap (plan to start this season) so the number on the left is, at best, a rough guess. I have been playing for about two years.

Models that have caught my eye are:
Callaway X-18-20-22
Cobra SZ
Mizuno MX-25 (used set for less than $200)
Ping G5-10-15
Taylormade R7

Any other recommendations? Like I said, I want forgiveness without that "garden shovel" feeling. Any comments would be appreciated!

Tour Edge Exotics XCG-V 10.5*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-6 15*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-6 #4

Callaway Razr X Tour 5-AW
Nike VR Pro Forged Brushed Oxide 54-58
Yes! C-Groove Sally-12M Mid Counterbalance

I like the mx-25's though i'm partial to Mizuno.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I gotta go with Nike Victory Red split cavities. Blade like feel with some forgiveness. You wont be sorry.

Bag
Sumo 5900 9.5d
Sumo 3 & 5 Woods Pro launch shafts
Victory Red Split cavity 4-pw
Victory Red Wedges 52/10,56/14/60,10 White hot Putter / Balls

Love my Clevland Cg 7's.

Definitely check out some Cleveland irons. They are forgiving but don't have that shovel look/feel. The Ping G series will probably not appeal to you (I've heard people specifically describe them as shovels). The R7 have a nice look for GI irons, but the longer irons have a noticeable cavity back at address.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Models that have caught my eye are:

IMHO all of those are good starting points. But if I may, I'd like to suggest a couple of tweaks.

As for the Callys, maybe consider the "Tour" lines of those models. They are forgiving but with less offset and slightly smaller heads. The same can be said of the "I" series of the Ping line versus the "G" series. I really don't think that either of these "pro" models are too much for a bogey golfer to game. My personal experience is that both the I series and X pros are forgiving enough. I think they'd probably fit a scratch golfer ok as well, once you get to that point. I also think the Cobra SZ would be better replaced by a S9 or FP simply because they are quite forgiving as well but offer a little more room for growth. The R7s are classics and would probably fit you quite well. They always received great reviews from several sources. And of course, my biased opinion would say go for the Mizzy 25s. I love my 23s, even if they are somewhat antiquated. They have helped me improve my swing while learning to work the ball to some extent. Great feel with those clubs as well. They are forgiving enough, we're talking about 1 club less on toe hits. But the feedback is amazing for a cavity! Good luck, and don't forget that properly fitted shafts are almost as important as the heads.

...As for the Callys, maybe consider the "pro" lines of those models. They are forgiving but with less offset and slightly smaller heads. ...

If you can commit to working on your game a little, test out the Callaway X20 Tour and X22 Tour. These have smaller heads than the standard X20-X22 models, and would come out of the rough better. Also, X22 Tour has the higher Vertical Center of Gravity of the two; so, if you get the ball up OK,

and if you hit knockdowns on occasion, X22 Tour might be better of the two. Also, make sure you get the best shaft for your swing speed and game. Not sure what flex you use, but the Tour versions might require a special order if you use regular flex.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We sound like very similar golfers by score anyways. I hit the Callaway Big Berthas for years and two weeks back got the Callaway X20 Tours from Callaway Preowned. "Like new" is brand new at that site in my experience (7 orders). I would go there and take a look man. I got mine extended 1.25" up 2 deg, jumbo grips, and 2nd day shipping for $421. These clubs are great. I wanted something with more feel/control, but at the same time still pretty forgiving. I am loving these irons. Hitting them better than my Big Bertha to my surprise. I am now aiming at pins, not greens from 150 in. Something I could never do reliably with the Big Bertas. I got mine with the Project X 6.0 shafts and love them as well. Great club and buying from Callaway Preowned is the way to go. I replaced my whole bag in the last month from that site. Nothing but good things to say about it.

Some of the older Titleist clubs are ok too. I have taken my game from a mid teens to a single digit with my dci 762... Love them to death. Started with some Wilson Oversize, then some TM Super Steel's to these and have made the progress of working my swing a breeze, forgiving but still get feedback.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Thanks for the suggestions! Two more models have caught my eye: Nickent 4dx CB and Nickent 4dx Pro. I have the opportunity to snatch up either of these for less than $200 brand new. Looking at pictures online, the cavity in the CB does not appear much deeper than the cavity in the Pro model. The Pro model is also forged. The Pro model would leave me a great deal of room to grow, but I am wondering if it is too much iron for me to handle. Any thoughts?

Playing bogey golf, I'd say you're ready to step into a forged cavity back. The Titleist 775s might be a good choice. Forged, cavity forgiving, but no shovel GI look. Of course there are countless options, but I'm a Titleist guy, so that's what I'll suggest.
-Kevin
In the Nike Pro Tour Combo Bag:
907 D2 9.5*
906F2 18* 5W
585H 21* 3 Hybrid 735.CM 4-PW 51.06 MP-T & 56.13 MP-T White Hot #1

• 3 weeks later...
Update: I went with a set of Mizuno MX-25 irons. Hopefully it dries up a little here in southern Illinois so I can play a round soon! Thanks for all the advice!

If you like Mizunos, I suggest the MP-57's.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Update: I went with a set of Mizuno MX-25 irons. Hopefully it dries up a little here in southern Illinois so I can play a round soon! Thanks for all the advice!

Good choice, I'm somewhat new to the game and went with MX-23s to give me some flexibility as I improve. They're plenty forgiving, but I equate them more to the "players" CB such as Callaway Tour or TaylorMade TPs.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Save yourself a lot to time and trouble and just get a set of MP 60's. They are stupid easy to hit and you could probably find a used set for a decent price.

Good choice, I'm somewhat new to the game and went with MX-23s to give me some flexibility as I improve. They're plenty forgiving, but I equate them more to the "players" CB such as Callaway Tour or TaylorMade TPs.

Mizuno's players clubs are the MP series. The MX seris are GI irons.

Note: This thread is 5149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!