IGNORED

Bogey Golfer Wants New Irons

Note: This thread is 5169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Update: I went with a set of Mizuno MX-25 irons. Hopefully it dries up a little here in southern Illinois so I can play a round soon! Thanks for all the advice!

I think you made a good choice, considering your criteria. I recently switched from Callaway X-20's to mx-25's. The X-20's definitely hit the ball farther, but I just couldn't get over the clunky, round look of the X-20's, especially in the short irons (which for some reason are clunkier than the long irons in the set). The X-20 PW looks like a shovel, which makes it difficult to use for pitching and chipping.

Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge 10*
Woods: Mizuno F-60 (15*, 18*); Hybrids: Callaway FT-iZ 21*, Callaway X 24*
Irons: Mizuno MX 25 (5I - GW)
Wedges: Mizuno MP T Chrome (56/10), MP T-10 Black Satin (60/8)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

• 4 weeks later...
Because I have a very similar question I'll it here rather than start a new thread. I'm a high handicapper, but I think that being a low-high or a high-mid handicapper isn't unrealistic after some solid practice this summer so I want clubs with that goal in mind. (I only started keeping track of my handicap as of the last few games, which weren't exactly my best, and my biggest weakness is woods, not irons.)

I'm considering new irons, and the MX-23, MX-25, and R7 have topped my list so far. The problem, though, is that I can't find any MX-23s or MX-25s to demo hit. No one around here has any, not even the places specializing in used clubs. If I could find demo clubs I'd hit them and let that speak for itself, but I can't so I'm asking here.

From what I've read, it seems that the MX-25s are a bit more forgiving than the MX-23s (more noticeably in the longer irons). If that's true, I'd thought that maybe the MX-23s would be better for me because they'd be a bit over my skill level and help train me to hit better. Can anyone verify that the MX-25s are more forgiving / have a larger sweet spot? If so, my main question is: Might MX-23s be overly ambitious or would they not be any less practical than the MX-25s? It seems not, from my reading, but I'd like to get all the info I can before buying anything.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Because I have a very similar question I'll it here rather than start a new thread. I'm a high handicapper, but I think that being a low-high or a high-mid handicapper isn't unrealistic after some solid practice this summer so I want clubs with that goal in mind. (I only started keeping track of my handicap as of the last few games, which weren't exactly my best, and my biggest weakness is woods, not irons.)

I have mx-25's and a demo mx-23 6-iron, and I don't notice any difference in terms of forgiveness (although I have read that the 25's are more forgiving). You should be able to find some demo 6-irons on ebay. IMO, the 25's have a lot nicer finish than the 23's. Maybe just see which set you get the best deal on.

Callaway X-18-20-22

These are all great consideration. You may like Mizuno MP52 (prgressive offset, meaning less offset for higher irons)

I used Callaway X-20 tour and like it better than x-20 as tour version has less offset. You need to spend enough time to test them to find one that works best for you. Let us know which one you'll end up with.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

I just went through the same process, and I'm at the same level. I wanted something that would allow me to get better, but make me focus a bit more on what I was doing, so that when I don't do what I'm supposed to, I have to pay for it. I had TM R9's and liked them, but they still didn't give me that feedback I was looking for. I went and demo'd clubs for 2 hours at a time, 2 days in a row and hit everything they had in the store multiple times before I made my decision. I hit everything from X-20 and X-22 Tours, Mizuno MX irons, TM R9 Tours, Burners, about everything Nike made, and everything Cleveland makes.

I ended up choosing a set of Cleveland CG Red Tour Specs. I thought they were a little over my head, although I hit them well on the simulator. What they do make me do is concentrate on my shots, and since I had them fitted and have taken a lesson since I bought them to straighten me back out, I love them.

I have mx-25's and a demo mx-23 6-iron, and I don't notice any difference in terms of forgiveness (although I have read that the 25's are more forgiving). You should be able to find some demo 6-irons on ebay. IMO, the 25's have a lot nicer finish than the 23's. Maybe just see which set you get the best deal on.

I'd hate to spend $100 to buy and ship two different demo clubs just to decide on which set set to get, but I did think of that. In the mean time, I'm going to keep looking around the local area to see if anyone out here has them. I think the MX-25s look better too, but that's really only a tie-breaker in my for me.

What kind of feedback do you get from the MX-25s? If you hit it an inch from the center, can you tell that you mis-hit? How strong can you feel it? What if you hit a half-inch from the center? Sorry to pick on you, but any info would be helpful.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

You can certainly tell when you mishit the MX-25s. I have found them to be forgiving enough, though I did replace the 4 iron with a hybrid. I'm not exactly a great golfer either.

Tour Edge Exotics XCG-V 10.5*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-6 15*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-6 #4

Callaway Razr X Tour 5-AW
Nike VR Pro Forged Brushed Oxide 54-58
Yes! C-Groove Sally-12M Mid Counterbalance

I'd hate to spend $100 to buy and ship two different demo clubs just to decide on which set set to get, but I did think of that. In the mean time, I'm going to keep looking around the local area to see if anyone out here has them. I think the MX-25s look better too, but that's really only a tie-breaker in my for me.

I don't think I could answer your last question with any set of clubs, but I do think the 25's have great feedback. I know when I hit them on the sweet spot. I'm not sure if this makes much a difference, but the 25's are have slightly softer forgings (1025 versus 1020 in the 23's).

Note: This thread is 5169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!