IGNORED

golf glove under arm pit question...

Zack
Note: This thread is 3175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Say Cody I'm confused by your comment. Wouldn't it fall out from under your right arm even if you didn't chicken wing in your backswing (assuming a full swing)? What would it prove then?

Wali

The chicken wing involves movement of the right elbow (right hander) away from the body in the backswing. If you've got a glove or something else stuffed in the armpit, it will fall to the ground when you start looking like a clucker. This is very important to understand, or else you're probably clucking your way around the course (like I do if I'm not careful ).

I still like the Hogan image of the upper arms strapped tightly to each other as a way to keep the elbows close together throughout the stroke, but the glove-in-pit method works as well. Hogan really understood the importance of elbow position to achieving control, and knew how to teach it. If you're like me it's good to have more than one trick/technique to help deal with a particular problem. This problem is very big to a lot of golfers I see on the track, and it can come back and bite you when you think you've got it licked. True for most problems of course.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

no it doesnt fall out...

this drill helped my control issues with my irons alot... however i developed a flatter and shorter swing because of this and its hurt my driving

i developed a habit of tucking my right elbow into my ribcage and keeping it there untill just after impact... ive been working on getting rid of this problem but havent had any success yet...

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

The chicken wing involves movement of the right elbow (right hander) away from the body in the backswing. If you've got a glove or something else stuffed in the armpit, it will fall to the ground when you start looking like a clucker. This is very important to understand, or else you're probably clucking your way around the course (like I do if I'm not careful

Wali, this is what I was meaning.

Thanks Cody. Actually I use two gloves under my pits when I'm practicing putting. It helps me keep the triangle in tact and not move the arms only.

another way to look at wali's q on right side glove is that for some folks, if the backswing is very upright, it may not work as easily as someone with a flatter backswing. either way, however, people can benefit from a better connection between the arms and the core, at least for some beginning segment of the backswing, with the image of that triangle that wali uses for putting.

some folks are losing flexibility so they tend to lift up the backswing to get more "turn ". that is the point where a potential disconnection can occur. that also lends to the tendency to inefficiently derive power from upper limbs instead of the core and create more moving parts.

I just read a great article about the right arm in the backswing. It is from Tim Oyler of Performaxgolf.com
Here's the link http://www.performaxgolf.com/ninety-...m_medium=email

Just in case here it is:
Ninety Degrees for Long (Powerful Shots) One of the most common faults I see among students is the lack of width in the top of the their swing. A major source of power and biomechanical strength is the angle formed between your forearm and bicep in your right arm. This Angle at the top of your backswing must maintain at least 90 degrees. Most amateurs, due to their improper grip, do not hinge their wrist properly and therefore try to support the club with an arm position that is very narrow and less than 90 degrees.

To describe the position that I am talking about stand vertical and keeping your elbow at your side, bring your right hand up in the shake hands position. You have created a 90-degree angle. From this position bend over into your proper golf posture and swing your arm to the top. You can let your elbow move slightly off of your side at this point, however feel as though you can keep a glove underneath your right arm pit. This is the position I want your right arm to be in at the top of your swing.

This position at the top of the swing is similar to throwing a ball. Notice that all great pitchers keep this 90-degree angle and to throw a ball while less than a 90-degree angle would be very awkward. No offense to women but this is the major reason why girls have a difficult time throwing the ball. Due to their structure difference of the arm they have a tendency to collapse their arm and thus not throw with much power.

Another position of the right arm and width I want you to create is away from your head at the top of the swing. This may sound confusing but in my lessons most people’s hands disappear behind their head when viewed from straight on. The proper position of your hands is to keep the 90-degree angle, but to keep your hands and arms away from your head at the top of the backswing. Imagine standing in a doorway. At the top of your swing I want your right arm to maintain the 90-degree angle but to be in the upper right corner at the top of your swing. A great way to feel this position is to again stand vertical and assume the shake hands position I described earlier. From this point I want your left hand to go behind your right tricep and create a hook like fashion with your left hand. Take your good posture and swing to the top without letting your right arm get behind your body. A great feeling for this is to imagine your elbows are trying to touch each other at the top. You will notice that at address position your right arm is in front of your chest. At the top of your backswing this position should not change and again your right arm is in front of your chest and it will seem like your arms are in the corner of the doorway.

I always tell me students that the hands should be about a foot away or more from your head, not behind your head.

Use these drills to create the proper position of your hands and arms at the top of your backswing. This is essence is one of the positions of the modern golf swing. Having a short arm swing with a 90-degree angle while creating a large shoulder turn is a key to creating lots of power and lag in your downswing.

Remember that I am responding to your questions on the blog daily so keep me informed and let me know how your doing with creating this width in your swing. Talk to you soon.

• 5 years later...

I saw a Pro on the Golf Channel that just pulls his shirt up under the armpits instead of putting a glove in there. It is the same effect in that you are aware of the connection between the arms and torso.

I am trying to stop lifting the club up in the backswing. If I tuck the shirt into the lead armpit and rotate the left forearm in the backswing - no lift. Is this cheating? Didn't Scott Mc Carron play like this?

I am trying to stop lifting the club up in the backswing. If I tuck the shirt into the lead armpit and rotate the left forearm in the backswing - no lift. Is this cheating? Didn't Scott Mc Carron play like this?

Yep that's legal.

Can even do it with the trail armpit.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep that's legal.

Can even do it with the trail armpit.

Thanks, Mvmac! Good to know it's legal. I believe my problem stems from thinking I need to lift the club to get it to the top, instead of turning and hinging the wrists. Good vid, too. I have

a flying right elbow, when lifting. Nice to see a connected swing.

Note: This thread is 3175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!