IGNORED

I have the budget for two clubs...

Note: This thread is 5187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To be brief-- I used to play a lot in HS and am trying to get back into it. I currently play about once a year at the company Christmas party and am tired of being the worst golfer on the course (this year makes it two in a row). That and I always forget how much I enjoy the game until the Christmas party rolls around.

So here is the deal-- I have the budget for two new clubs. I currently have 1 driver, 3-9 irons, and the other bare essentials. After doing some reading I think I wand to add a 3H, but don't know if I should also add a 4h or a 5w instead.

What do you guys think?

A 4 hybrid would be easier to hit than a 2 or 3 hybrid. It would be MUCH easier to hit than a fairway wood. Many to choose from. The Callaway FT is an awesome hybrid, just got two myself from Callaway Preowned. Buy "like new" on that site and you get brand new clubs in my experience (7 orders). Like $100 per club. These sell for $200 each elsewhere. I say a hybrd is a good choice. What you need is to hit balls and play regularly. Take a few lessons. Maybe take a lesson every 2-3 weeks and practice 3-4 times in between lessons. If you suck as bad as I think you do, the new club won't do you much good. We all need lessons, we all want new equipment. It is a vicious cycle:)

What do you have for wedges? Id definetly make sure you have a 50* and 56* wedge. If the shortest wedge you have is a PW, you are seriously limiting your shortgame and improving your shortgame is going to be the best thing you can do to prevent yourself from being the worst golfer on the course.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I agree with both of the above posters... if a 9 iron or PW is your highest lofted club, then you need a wedge or two.

I also think at least one hybrid would be a good start... probably the lowest you can hit well, be it a 3, 4, or 5.

Lastly Callaway pre-owned is a great place to shop... also try 3-balls and rockbottomgolf.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I would first determine where you were the worst. Was it off the tee, in the fairway, from 100 yards in or on the putting green? I don't suspect you were the worst in every category so make your decision on which area you had the most difficulty and proceed from there. Lastly, maybe take half of your budget and instead of buying new clubs, take some lessons with a local pro. There is more you can do with a better knowledge of the game than you can with new clubs that never find the fairway or green.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Like I said, I played a lot when I was in HS, and I have played sports my whole life and am fairly coordinated. Not that I couldn't use lessons, but I am not out there duffing balls down the entire course.

My worst club the last time I was out was my 3 iron. I couldn't hit that thing straight to save my life. I don't recall if I took a shot with the 4, but 5i and up I hit it pretty well on most shots. The 3i easily cost me the most strokes. So I would say I struggled most on long par 5's after the tee shot. The putting was pretty bad as well. I was on the green several times on the shorter holes with an opportunity for par that was blown by bad putting.

As for the wedges I currently have just a pitch wedge and a sand wedge. My approach shots from <100 yds was actually one of the stronger parts of my game.

But you guys think another wedge is in order in addition to a 3h?

Sounds like you're what we'd call a hitter, not a swinger, I.E., lots of athletic ability and coordination, who plays by minute corrections and touch shots as opposed to sound fundamentals and routine. I am the same way, really, ugly swing, bad technique, and yet I hit it dead on pure 95% of the time.

I'd recommend trying some putters and finding the one that suits you and makes you feel confident over the ball, as this will really help the putts. Also, check out a high lofted fairway wood, maybe a 7, and toss the 3 iron altogether (maybe the 4 too), it's useless for now. A 7 wood will be useful, and you'll be able to, with that touch, cut off some distance by swinging easier, so you can gap greater distances. Play to your strengths, don't try to hit a 3 iron on a par 5 when you can get there in two 7 irons, you'll always score better when you take the easier shot!

I would add a 4H and a sand wedge.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Sounds like you're what we'd call a hitter, not a swinger, I.E., lots of athletic ability and coordination, who plays by minute corrections and touch shots as opposed to sound fundamentals and routine. I am the same way, really, ugly swing, bad technique, and yet I hit it dead on pure 95% of the time.

That is a shockingly accurate description. I always get crap for my swing when I am warming up-- until I crush it down the middle, and then it is "how in god's name do you stand like that and hit it straight?". And the answer I have no idea. All I know is if I can get the club face square to the ball and the direction I want it go, it usually turns out pretty good. With the frequency of my golfing the last 4 years (1-2 a year), that is all I have time to think about.

Great advice about hitting two 7's instaed of shanking the 3. I am definitely going to do that next time out.

I would go 3H and a 60* wedge, or a new putter may help you mentally. Then again, it may be the Indian, not the arrow.

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

Yeah, funny that. My swing is ugly, and most people who see it refuse to believe it can produce such an accurate strike... Until I whip out my little tiny blade 2 iron and rip ball after ball out past the 200 marker, right down the center. The recording is slowed down to about 1/2 speed I believe, but rest assured, you can see that my swing is far from good looking.

Like I said, I played a lot when I was in HS, and I have played sports my whole life and am fairly coordinated. Not that I couldn't use lessons, but I am not out there duffing balls down the entire course.

If it were me, Id add a 3H and a 50* wedge. That should help with the problems you have hitting the 3-iron and will fill in the huge gap you have between your PW and SW.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Why does everyone keep talking about another wedge? He has a P and S already, so that's about a 48° and a 56°, assuming the irons are a bit older. The problem mentioned seems to be the long shots, fairway woods, etc.

Let's just clarify something then, we need to know the exact clubs you have.

If you can give us as much info on each club, that would be great. Any loft angles that you can find, makes, models, any other info listed would be good.

So far, we know you have a Driver, 3-PW, SW, and putter... What else?

So far, we know you have a Driver, 3-PW, SW, and putter... What else?

That is it right there. That is all I play with. The irons are oooooold. I think I got them when I was 15... i am 26 now. They (3-pw & putter) are a beginer set of Hippo's. I have no idea what the SW is except that it is old-- my cousin found it on a golf course and gave it to me. The driver is ~3 year old Nike Sasquach (i think)... I know it is a Nike and I paid ~$200 for it.

Like I said, my approach shots from <100 yds were all pretty solid. I think I only sailed one green last time I was out and that was an uphill shot. I am very comfortable with my PW on a variety of approach shots from varying distances so I am kind of hesitant to throw another wedge in there. That is just not where I am struggeling the most right now. Getting down the long fairways and putting is where I need to improve the most. I can't tell you how many times I found myslef in the rough and behind trees while I stubbornly tried to hit that 3 iron.

you only play once a year and are the worst one?
how often do you practice?
athletic or not... if you dont practice at all and only play once in a year... not even tiger would be the best and all those guys do is practice when they arent playing...

last time i played with a buddy of mine... he had 6 clubs... 3w/3i/6i/8i/55°sw/putter... he destroyed me and he never plays... but he practices daily...

anyways... i think id go with a fw wood and a hybrid... if youre not comfy with a fw wood... then go 3h-4h... but demo the crap outta some clubs at like golf galaxy or something before dumping cash on a once a year deal
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

That is it right there. That is all I play with. The irons are oooooold. I think I got them when I was 15... i am 26 now. They (3-pw & putter) are a beginer set of Hippo's. I have no idea what the SW is except that it is old-- my cousin found it on a golf course and gave it to me. The driver is ~3 year old Nike Sasquach (i think)... I know it is a Nike and I paid ~$200 for it.

Getting fairway woods and learning to use them is a major step in learning the game. I would reccomend taking the 3 and 4 iron out of the bag, and getting a 3, 5, and 7 wood.

You can get older models, like these Adams , or these, which are made to order and cheap. Callaway also makes great fairway woods, like these old ones you can get cheap . I would reccomend a 3, 5, and 7 wood, or a 3, 5, and hybrid around 22°. I would reccomend steel shafts, or stiff graphite shafts. These will give you a good, easy to hit long shot to use on those par 5s, and even from tees.

I guess I'd start by really trying to identify what your goals are. You mentioned that you're "trying to get back into", but what does this mean? Are you just trying to not be the worst at the company outing, or are you really trying to get back to playing golf on a regular basis? I think if you can clarify to yourself (and to us if you want more meaningful opinions) then that might guide you into what is best.

That said, I'd suggest you might consider a compromise. Buy one new club to scratch that itch we all get desiring new equipment (let's face it, having a new club may not always help the game, but it can help the motivation). Based on what you said, I'd suggest a putter - it's a club that can really help build confidence in your game, because if you become a confident putter it can make up for a lot of other ills, and is probably the one part of the game where a new club might help a "once a year player".

For the other part of your budgeted money, I'd suggest as others have that you use that for a lesson or two (depending on your budget) and a little practice to ingrain the things you learn. Here is where the goals part could be very helpful - if you tell your coach that you're just looking to be better in an annual company golf event, he/she can better give you some little tips that might really help by putting some band-aids on your swing. If you really want to start playing regularly and get better, they can start addressing the fundamentals and help you on a path for better golf overall. And don't be embarrased to tell a pro that all you want to do is put on some band-aids for a once a year event - they're glad to help either way.

So again, I'd recommend really understanding your goals, and then take a hybrid (no pun intended) approach of getting a new putter to help motivate you and improve on the part of the course that can make up strokes, and a lesson targeted towards what you really want to achieve.

you only play once a year and are the worst one?

I guess I'd start by really trying to identify what your goals are. You mentioned that you're "trying to get back into", but what does this mean? Are you just trying to not be the worst at the company outing, or are you really trying to get back to playing golf on a regular basis? I think if you can clarify to yourself (and to us if you want more meaningful opinions) then that might guide you into what is best.

When I say get backk into it, I mean practice weekly and try to hit a course once a month or so. I really enjoy the driving range.

Now the only questioon I have about a putter, is how does a putter make you better at putting? I mean as long as it has a flat face, what else is there in a putter? It seems to me that of all the clubs in the bag, the putter would have the least amount of effect on a shot. That is, practice and execution would be far more key than the club itself. And with that in mind, I feel nothing short of overwhelmed when looking at the putter selection. Any advice on how to shop for a putter?

Note: This thread is 5187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!