IGNORED

"The Golfing Machine" by Homer Kelley

iacas
Note: This thread is 1804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I finally bought this and am a couple of chapters in. Holy sweet mother of paper cuts this book screams for an ebook edition with hyperlinks. If one wanted a real life case of the usefulness of hyperlinks, this is the book, no disrespect to HK.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I finally bought this and am a couple of chapters in. Holy sweet mother of paper cuts this book screams for an ebook edition with hyperlinks. If one wanted a real life case of the usefulness of hyperlinks, this is the book, no disrespect to HK.

Agreed ! I once thought of a web site or an app that would present the concepts and the interconnections between them with direct quotes from the book.

Agreed ! I once thought of a web site or an app that would present the concepts and the interconnections between them with direct quotes from the book.

I bet more than a few electronic versions exist with hyperlinks they're just not public. The book's not that long and tools nowadays make conversion much easier and quicker. I could OCR it and do the links for a couple of chapters in 1 or 2 hours.

I bet there are a few that look like this:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Homer Kelley was a very methodical, almost OCD guy and "The Golfing machine" is simply an encyclopedia of the Physics and Geometry of every possible way to move a Golf Ball with a legal Golf Club, powered by a human being.

Whether a book or a tip in a magazine, nearly everything you read about Golf can be confusing.

I was certified as a STAR SYSTEM Instructor in 1983 by Tommy Tomasello, one of the first 6 PGA members to work with Homer and Ben Doyle. The book has been with me on the lesson tee for thousands of hours.  I have NEVER found anything between it's bright yellow covers that wasn't true.  I have over 100 books of instruction in my library and each one contains some aspect of the perception, feelings, or ideals of the writer?teacher, that is arguable or can be disputed.

There are many great teachers in the 21st century and every one of them owes a debt to Homer Kelley for giving us a a method of explaining the Physics, Geometry, and physiology of our great game in a truthful, consistent and accurate manner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Can you please share the pdf? thank you

Please quote who you are responding to, like this :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 6 months later...

Do people actually pay this much for a used copy? I bought my used copy for like $10. These prices are crazy.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 2.47.45 PM.png

Steve

• Administrator

For a sixth edition, sure. It's regarded by many as the best.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

What's so special about  number 6?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Is the 6th edition ©1982? That's the one I have. Probably not, I got it for cheap.

Steve

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

What's so special about  number 6?

This is just off the top of my head, but IIRC the 7th edition was edited by someone other than Homer Kelley.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
3 hours ago, jamo said:

This is just off the top of my head, but IIRC the 7th edition was edited by someone other than Homer Kelley.

Homer died in 1983. Yeah.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It turns out 1982 is the 6th edition and the lowest used price is over $300 on Amazon. I wonder if Bryson DeChambeau has something to do with it or there was a steady rise because the when I shopped for it I did not see these kind of prices. Will keep it regardless, because it's kind of golf instructional history. 

Steve

4 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

So is there any cheaper way to read this book? Im guessing it wasnt turned into a Kindle book?

http://www.thegolfingmachine.com/books/the-golfing-machine-7th-edition-by-homer-kelley

Steve

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

So is there any cheaper way to read this book? Im guessing it wasnt turned into a Kindle book?

Sure, but why would you want to?

17 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Sounded like it was an interesting read? Is it bad?

Because it's incredibly technical and some of it is outdated. Many have stood on the shoulders of Kelley and corrected, updated and refined. 

CfoQrOsWIAABnKu.jpg

Steve

Note: This thread is 1804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!