IGNORED

My Swing (kleraudio)

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 3872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok got out today and took some vids with my new Zx1. Its HD vid, but I think you have to click the HD button at the bottom of each video screen?? Im still casting like a mother, but at least I dont sway as much as I used to

PLEASE some constructive analysis and maybe some drills to go along with it. Ive got a ways to go with this swing still, but I've chopped my HC in half since July 2009 and I plan to do the same by this July 2010.

So with that out of the way, here's the vids.

Thanks in advance!

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a teacher but have been taking lessons and I have a couple of the same issues as you that I can see from the "down the line" view. One, you are taking the club alittle to the inside. Two, your club, at the top of your back swing, is aiming right of the target, when it should be aiming at, or slightly left of the target. Some of the things I have been working on are taking the club straighter back and as a result, my hands are higher at the top of the backswing. I now see the club head aiming left of the target at the top of my swing.
One more thing, in regards to the "face on" view. Your left leg, at the point of impact, looks like a reversed "C". Try staightening your left leg at impact to promot more of a hip turn instead of a slide.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

• Administrator
One, you are taking the club alittle to the inside.

He's really not "taking" it back, more like he's "letting" it go back.

One more thing, in regards to the "face on" view. Your left leg, at the point of impact, looks like a reversed "C". Try staightening your left leg at impact to promot more of a hip turn instead of a slide.

Eeek!

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...LIDE-Your-Hips OK Jim you probably know what I'm going to point out... I'm just going to point out the biggies. And hey, look, I even gave you the full-on magazine treatment where the shots are blended into each other so it looks like you and three of your clones have posed in a line on the range: 1) The red line is there to show why your clubhead's going back behind you... because your hands are actually going OUT away from you. You need to get your hands deeper and probably feel as if you're counter-rotating your wrists/forearms because right now you're rotating them to flip the club behind your hands. Look at this thread. 2) The blue wedge shows your right elbow separating from your side. Lots of good players do it, but you may want to work to get rid of it. Lifting adds a timing element to the swing. 3) The purple line shows your butt moving towards the ball on the downswing. It does this because your right knee kicks in instead of pushing forward. You actually need to do more of the opposite of what redi suggested - push your hips further forward, don't kick anything towards the ball or spin. The fixes: 1) http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ands-Explained along with not rolling the club open ( http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...e-to-the-Plane ) 2) Eh, I'd worry about that later. If you want to worry about it now put a tee in your right armpit and keep it there throughout the swing. 3) Linked to already but here it is again: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...LIDE-Your-Hips . P.S. One nice thing about the new table-less CSS-driven layouts in vBulletin 4 - wide images no longer force the page to go wide.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow Erik, thank you so much for all that analysis, I REALLY appreciate that!

How can I also get rid of the casting? And should that blue wedge not even exist? Lastly, how the heck were you able to combine all 4 images like that?

Those were some really good pointers and hopefully I can get out later this week and work on that stuff.... with more vids of course!

Very insightful man, thanks!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Eeek!

Thank you for the link. "Promot hip turn" was the wrong thing to say, but all of the pictures show a straight left leg at impact.

Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

• Administrator
How can I also get rid of the casting?

I'd worry about that later. Right now you have to cast because your ass moves towards the ball and your hips don't go forward enough.

And should that blue wedge not even exist?

Depends on where you fall in the one-plane or two-plane debate.

Lastly, how the heck were you able to combine all 4 images like that?

Potatoshop. Mask. Soft-edged brush.

Very insightful man, thanks!

Don't thank me yet. You haven't tried out my ideas.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sorry if I'm butting in here, but I'm curious about the right elbow position.If he had his elbow closer to his body, and blue wedge wasn't there at all, wouldn't that mean the club is lower and would be on too flat a plane.?Isn't he pretty much on plane in those pictures?I'm no expert so please tell me if I'm wrong.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

• Administrator
Sorry if I'm butting in here, but I'm curious about the right elbow position.If he had his elbow closer to his body, and blue wedge wasn't there at all, wouldn't that mean the club is lower and would be on too flat a plane.?Isn't he pretty much on plane in those pictures?I'm no expert so please tell me if I'm wrong.

Is this guy too flat?

If your right elbow comes off your chest/rib cage that tends to put you into a two-plane situation (left arm plane doesn't match shoulder plane at the top). If it stays connected you're a one-plane swinger (they match). The only swing I'd consider "too flat" is a position that puts the left arm well below the shoulder plane (on a full backswing), which is nearly impossible to do unless your swing is seriously screwed up (or your name is Matt Kuchar). The way I currently see it, the two-plane swing requires a bit more timing because the right elbow has to drop back down.

Interesting.I have the same elbow position as the OP and still thought I was on plane the whole time.Just goes to show that there's a lot of vague and incorrect info on swing plane out there.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

• Administrator
Interesting.I have the same elbow position as the OP and still thought I was on plane the whole time.Just goes to show that there's a lot of vague and incorrect info on swing plane out there.

Well, you may not be "off" plane - the plane changes. You can only really stay "on plane" in the backswing until your right arm starts folding because your plane steepens when that happens. There's no real "one plane" that everyone should strive for.

Erik, that hip slide instruction is great! I just swung a club a bit and did a hip slide and it kept my butt even, not going towards the ball like in the vids. Now I know why I "have" to cast, because my ass is definitely moving towards the ball on the downswing. Will sliding my hips more help to eliminate the casting automatically? Im really interested in trying this out at the range. Hopefully I can get there on wednesday, and your right, I do have the sensation of rolling my forearms which is kicking the club back to the inside.

That other tip about counter rotating feeling in my forearms worked wonders as well. kept the club head outside my hands and really got my hands deep.

You should teach man!

Im gonna bring the cam to the range on wednesday and work on this stuff, looking forward to it!

Oh and am I coming over the top a lot still or does it seem alright?

Thanks!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Erik, that hip slide instruction is great! I just swung a club a bit and did a hip slide and it kept my butt even, not going towards the ball like in the vids. Now I know why I "have" to cast, because my ass is definitely moving towards the ball on the downswing. Will sliding my hips more help to eliminate the casting automatically? Im really interested in trying this out at the range. Hopefully I can get there on wednesday, and your right, I do have the sensation of rolling my forearms which is kicking the club back to the inside.

I'd worry about the casting later. Just see how far a good hip push can get you.

Two drills would be to put something in front of your knee at address (a stick maybe, a tripod, two range buckets stacked up - they'd have to get to your knee height) and don't hit them. There's that picture of me somewhere demonstrating this with a tripod. The other is to put a range bucket on the instep of your right foot and then try to push it forward (towards the target) with the right leg. You really have to "bank in" the right leg to get that feeling. It works best on mats since the range bucket can slide easily. If your knee goes towards the ball, you won't be pushing the range bucket. You have to push the range bucket by "leaning in" that right leg or "banking in" the right knee ("in" being towards the target here...).
That other tip about counter rotating feeling in my forearms worked wonders as well. kept the club head outside my hands and really got my hands deep.

The odd thing is - and I fight this too - it won't actually counter-rotate. It'll FEEL like it though. Like crazy.

You should teach man!

Someday maybe.

The thing I noticed was your finish and inability to hold it. I think following Eriks advice about the hips is money. If you are going towards the target before you strike the ball you are going to be in a much more better position to hit down on the ball aggressively and not hit it fat. WHen trying to improve focus on one thing at a time IMO. If you try to do a overhaul so to speak, your brain can't process all the changes that you are making. Also try to make smaller slower swings when changing so you can feel where the club is.

Erik, that is very nice instruction.

Brian

Erik- thanks a ton for the drills, Im gonna go work on those tomorrow after work. The bucket in front of the knee drill, your talking right knee right?? The range bucket on the instep of the right foot seems like a great drill too. So, I think the plan of attack is to start working on my takeaway and keeping my ass in place and have a nice hip slide.

Once I master that, I'll move on to other things, like the dreaded casting.

Will the hip slide drills work with a half swing at a slower speed? Just something to get my muscles used to the new moves??

Lefty- Thats one thing I have to work on is my finish. I tend to finish abruptly, then bring the club to either my side or in front of me. Maybe Im swinging to hard or the early release is causing a follow through that is way too high?? I dunno, hopefully that takes care of itself soon. Thanks for the input!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Erik- thanks a ton for the drills, Im gonna go work on those tomorrow after work. The bucket in front of the knee drill, your talking right knee right?? The range bucket on the instep of the right foot seems like a great drill too. So, I think the plan of attack is to start working on my takeaway and keeping my ass in place and have a nice hip slide.

To be fair, I should point out that it may take a few weeks to get the improved takeaway down. It's likely not something you'll fix in a session or half a session.

And THEN you move on to the hip thing... Real change takes time. You need to slowly bake it in. You can probably, when you're forcing yourself to think about it, "get it" pretty quickly, but you'll revert as soon as you stop actively thinking about it. Take your time, make slow-motion swings, etc. I don't have the dedication/patience to do this, but my friend Dan once told me that he saw someone working on his takeaway with a video camera at PGA Learning Center near/in Port St. Lucie for four hours one day. Didn't hit a single ball.
Will the hip slide drills work with a half swing at a slower speed? Just something to get my muscles used to the new moves??

Yes, I recommend you do them all at slow speed. Too easy to fool yourself at faster speeds.

I don't have the dedication/patience to do this, but my friend Dan once told me that he saw someone working on his takeaway with a video camera at PGA Learning Center near/in Port St. Lucie for four hours one day. Didn't hit a single ball.

You have got to be kidding me! Thats dedication for sure. OK, so I'll work on my takeaway today and maybe throw a little bit of that hip slide stuff in. If it takes a few weeks, I still consider that pretty fast. Hopefully I will be able to take the camera out with me and post some stuff up here tonight.

I dont know why, but I really enjoy working on my swing! I guess its cuz Ive been practicing all wrong the past 8 months and finally having a solid reason to practice is exciting. Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Im about to head to the range, any takeaway drills I can bring with me? I MUST work on that today. Everything is wrong if the takeaway is wrong!

Thanks!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Im about to head to the range, any takeaway drills I can bring with me? I MUST work on that today. Everything is wrong if the takeaway is wrong!

Try taking the club back to parallel with both your right or your left hand alone. See if your problem exists with the right hand. It probably won't - so try working on feeling no pushing with the left hand.

If that makes sense. I tried to type it quickly so you could see it in time.

Note: This thread is 3872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!