IGNORED

My Swing (kleraudio)

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 3879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Erik, sorry but I missed that post, but that is something I can work on in the house later tonight. Thats a pretty darn good drill.

Ive got some more vid of todays session, should I just add to this thread?

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here are my driver and iron swing down the line. I HOPE that I have somewhat improved here in the takeaway department after today. Lemme know if Im on the right track. On my end it looks good, but Im not quite sure and you guys cant watch youtube frame by frame I dont think.

I do think that there was an improvement today.

The forward hip slide is for another day, I didnt want to do both of those today, well I did try, but its too much for the mind and I froze up over the ball thinking too much.

Is it normal to lose tons of distance when working on stuff? I dont think I hit my 6 iron more than 140 today

OK heres the vid, 2 swings, 1 video.

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Ive got some more vid of todays session, should I just add to this thread?

It's up to you. I'd post them if they show you working on drills or show a decent improvement. How'd the session go? What'd you do? That's more important.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Erik, I ended up posting a couple of swings from my session today. It went OK. I worked on the proper takeaway. It is VERY weird to take the club back this way. I know its the correct way but it will take some getting used to. So much so that I didnt even bother with the other drill you gave me, the tripod in front of the knee drill. The takeaway was enough for today!

What really drives me nuts is my practice swings are perfect! Lag the club and everything. I'll see if I can get that posted up tonight. When it comes to the real swing time, I start casting again! So it definitely has something to do with my hips not sliding enough I think.

It was good to at least practice with a purpose though, it makes practicing fun again!

Thanks a million for all your help Erik!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

The rehearsal move looks different, but when you hit the ball your takeaway looks just like the first video to me--club rolling open and inside.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Ugh, your right... the rehearsal seems correct though Its so frustrating now. And whats even worse I wasted 2 hours of my life and got nowhere.

Kinda pissed right now.

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
I worked on the proper takeaway. It is VERY weird to take the club back this way. I know its the correct way but it will take some getting used to.

Really?

Note not only the clubhead going behind you, but your hands going away from you. If you average the two out that's almost on the plane - they tend to "average out." Better to get them both closer to the middle - bringing your hands in or keeping the clubhead out will do it. It's just a matter of finding the feeling that best allows you to do that.
So much so that I didnt even bother with the other drill you gave me, the tripod in front of the knee drill. The takeaway was enough for today!

Look, I know you want to improve quickly, but your swing is still 95% the old way.

You need to dedicate several weeks to just this move alone. You need to dedicate yourself to hitting the ball 80 yards. Or 50 yards. Or not even hitting the ball half the time and just working on your takeaway. You've gotta decide what you want - a quick fix or some lasting improvement. I hope this comes off as a little tough love and not "bah, he's bein' a jerk." Dude, I'm spending two months at least working on the same thing... I'm there in the same boat with ya. I know how hard this one thing can be to change.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

LOL Erik, why do you side by side these pics, it makes it look REALLY bad You sure those are the same angle?

Jerk? I dont think so man, super super helpful and I am grateful for it!

Is the address position OK at least?

What do you mean by hitting it 80 yards, and 50 yards?? Im using driver and 6 iron. Are you Talking like 1/4 swings and half swings? Just to get the feeling right? can I use wedges and such? I'd much rather practice with an 8 iron than a 6 iron....??

I just thought I'd be almost "cured" today, boy was I wrong! I have no problem spending the time necessary, I just hope when I finally "get" it, it doesnt go away!!

Thanks a million guys!

More vids to come!

PS, in the second slide, should the club be pointed at me (sitting at my computer i mean)? Is that where I need the clubhead to be?

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Is the address position OK at least?

Sure. I don't get too concerned about that unless it's really wacky.

What do you mean by hitting it 80 yards, and 50 yards?? Im using driver and 6 iron.

I mean put the driver away and hit nothing but six irons for several weeks. Swing slow and hit the ball, with full swings, 50 or 75 yards.

I just thought I'd be almost "cured" today, boy was I wrong! I have no problem spending the time necessary, I just hope when I finally "get" it, it doesnt go away!!

The longer you take to really bake it in the longer it'll stick.

PS, in the second slide, should the club be pointed at me (sitting at my computer i mean)? Is that where I need the clubhead to be?

Yes. But your hands have to move in too. So the clubhead won't be straight back from your hands - they'll both be closer to the middle of where they are now.

That rehearsal you did is pretty good but where you lose it is when you move past that and on to stage 2.

You continue to pull the club around you until it won't go anymore and then it heads up.

Realistically you don't need to move the club backwards anymore as your shoulder turn moves the club backwards all by itself.

If all you do is that rehearsal followed by the feeling of pulling the club straight up in the air you will pretty much fix this problem but as Erik said you need to take some time to get it ingrained.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Erik, thanks for the post, but what exactly did you mean by this ^??

My stance looks a bit closed, is that right or is it just a funny angle I videotaped at? Seems like my shaft is parallel with my (closed) feet line?? Which is what I want right? Maybe the closed stance is throwing me off...?? I dunno, all my shots yesterday were short fades, which scared the crap out of me! I really like the idea of full swing 6 irons going 75 yards, really helps to slow things down. I was swinging pretty damn hard yesterday and noticed my takeaway was pretty quick because of all the crap going on in my mind. Grant, thanks man, my rehearsal moves are always superb Its just when its time to hit the little ball, things get goofy! I like that swing thought and I will use it when I go out Friday. Im gonna hit a small bucket but videotape EVERY swing and check it then adjust! This takeaway needs to be fixed soon so i can move on to other things! Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Erik, thanks for the post, but what exactly did you mean by this ^??

On the takeaway. Your hands move to the right when they should be moving (from the down the line view) left. They really move in three dimensions - again relative to the camera in the DTL view: towards, left, and up. From a face-on view those same moves are left, away, and up.

Your hands currently go towards, RIGHT, and up in the DTL view, and from face-on left, TOWARDS, and up. To be clear: I'm not talking about your address.

Seems to me like your starting the backswing with your arms and then turning your shoulders slightly.Make sure you start the first six inches with you shoulders as this will help you from picking it up and allow you then to make
a proper turn.It will give you extension.By the time your shoulders start turning your arms are already halfway taken back.If you start the shoulder turn immediately it will help you take it back low and long and you will generate a lot more torque.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Seems to me like your starting the backswing with your arms and then turning your shoulders slightly.Make sure you start the first six inches with you shoulders as this will help you from picking it up and allow you then to make

His current problem is he is too far inside going back.

If he starts with more shoulder turn it will get worse.

• Administrator
His current problem is he is too far inside going back.

His hands aren't going in... the clubhead is. His hands go OUT.

My stance looks a bit closed, is that right or is it just a funny angle I videotaped at? Seems like my shaft is parallel with my (closed) feet line?? Which is what I want right? Maybe the closed stance is throwing me off...??

Keep going on this path - you are doing fine and passionate about getting better - no need for me to chime in in that regard. In answer to this question above...I couldn't say if your stance is closed as I'm not sure of your target but your camera angle is BAD and the culprit here. Set the camera in b/w the ball line and your feet and be SURE it is parallel. Honestly...the turning in your wrists is being reduced and the club is more in-line when it is parallel to the ground. That said it can still be better and the hands need to be WAY more in. As far as how far the ball is going...consider this: Right or wrong you will likely hit the ball further with the comfortable, free motion that is second nature. In working on things much of the dynamic nature is lost...this will return once the changes get more second nature themselves.

Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

Gotcha,

To me that always seemed to be a symptom of trying to bring the club around your body though. Realistically that will make your club go way inside. Whenever I developed that problem I tried to seperate the club from the body. The body/torso needs to rotate but the club generally needs to go up.

Priceless man! Thanks a lot! I looked at the vids frame by frame on the computer and I definitely see that now, my hands are coming outside my "hand line" I guess you could call it. Very huge for me to understand this!

Keep going on this path - you are doing fine and passionate about getting better - no need for me to chime in in that regard. In answer to this question above...I couldn't say if your stance is closed as I'm not sure of your target but your camera angle is BAD and the culprit here. Set the camera in b/w the ball line and your feet and be SURE it is parallel. Honestly...the turning in your wrists is being reduced and the club is more in-line when it is parallel to the ground. That said it can still be better and the hands need to be WAY more in. As far as how far the ball is going...consider this: Right or wrong you will likely hit the ball further with the comfortable, free motion that is second nature. In working on things much of the dynamic nature is lost...this will return once the changes get more second nature themselves.

Dave, thanks for the nice post! Im definitely passionate about getting better, and Im going to be starting lessons in a month or so as well! So the camera angle is bad huh? Now that I look at it, it seems to be right down my feet line and not inbetween the ball and my feet. I'll work on that as well. Hands need to be WAY more in? Are you talking about the same thing Erik was talking about, where they should be going left (DTL view) instead of right like they are now? And thanks for the distance thing, it was starting to worry me. Next week Im only gonna try to hit it like 75 yards though, Im REALLY gonna slow the swing down next week

Gotcha,

I like that image of the club needing to go "up", Im gonna keep that in my thoughts as long as I can

I have a new swing thought every 10 minutes it seems like Oh and another question, Im playing a round on Saturday, should I think about all this stuff when playing for real. I plan on posting this score as well..... Im worried Im gonna hack up the course trying all these new things! Thanks everyone Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Note: This thread is 3879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!