IGNORED

440 cc Vs 460 cc

Crey23
Note: This thread is 5173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the impact of having a 440 cc head versus 460cc (aside from slight decrease in swing speed possibly)??????

I have been looking at getting a new shaft for my r7 cbg Max driver. I was heaviliy intent on the Aldila NV-65R, or the Matrix Ozik X-Con 6. The difference in price (about $250) made me lean towards the Aldila.

Here is my dilema...I can get an r7 Limited with an Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 for $150 (440 cc head), or keep my cbg max (460cc head) and reshaft. I was on the monitor today and had some very impresive stats....

SS: 85 - 96
BS: 101-126
Launch angle 13.5* - 14.5* (consistently) previosuly at 17* - 19* I was pretty impressed
Spin: 4900 rpm (this is a full 1000 rpm less than other clubs I tried)
Ball Travel height: ~26 Ft instead of 37...

Once ai got loose, I started hitting slight draw, between 3 and 7 yard off center. This is preety good ...with my current driver setup to draw, I am still hitting slices.

I liked the r7 Limited ..A Lot...the shaft is fenomenal...

I'm going to try a regular flex, and also the 10.5 to see what variations I have.
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Launch angle is not so bad for that club, but that is still too much spin to get good yardage. Also seems a little low on trajectory. What kind of distances are you actually hitting. You have to get your swing consistent to be able to judge your equipment.
As for SS and shafts, I believe anything over 95mph should be in a stiff shaft (read that somewhere), so you should be hitting a reg flex. At your current HI, I would probably work on grooving a good swing before spending a lot of cash on changing equipment. Lessons are the best golf dollars you could spend as a high handicapper. You would be suprised how fast you can get to that 95 mph mark with a few lessons pointing the way. JMHO tho.
Good luck.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

My distance wa a shirt 200 , a few 210....but was due to my 2/3 or even 3/4 swings. I was wearing my work clothes and leather soled shoes.... They don't provide enough grip to really get behind the ball...

I was able to get to 96 mph and stay there one I loosend up and and got used to the new setup. I really like the shaft on this thing.... I have serios issue with ballooning slices (even on the draw setup of my cbg Max). That's why I m interested on the upgrade....the shaft is too light, and even when I play my best I am not getting consistent results from my driver.

I average 235 now and maxing at 255....this is a result of having to slow down my siwng considerably to match the shat....yet I have not seen the improvement on my spray.

The r7 Limited controlled the slice very well with nice mild draw. I need to try a few more configurations, but really think that a new shaft and some lessons will improve my game much more than just lesson, as often your pro won't even look at your Driving until the 3rd or 4th lessons.....

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

What is the impact of having a 440 cc head versus 460cc (aside from slight decrease in swing speed possibly)??????

Yup, the ball rpm is too high. I believe optimin is 2500-3000 rpm's. As a rule of thumb figure approximately 1000 rpm's per degree. Personally I don't think 20 cc's is going to be a noticable difference. You mite be able to work the ball maybe a little easier. Interestingly enough, the OEM's are starting to decrease the driver head size down to 380-400 cc's now. Next time you get on a launch monitor hopefully they will have different shafts and degree drivers you can try to see what dirver loft and shaft combination work best for your swing.

I was coming from an 460 titliest 905r to the 440 909d3 i use now and ive noticed no difference at all in forgiveness or distance between the two. I don't even notice the difference in size with the naked eye.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

.... I don't even notice the difference in size with the naked eye.

20 cc reduction in volume is only 4% of the total volume. For most people, you will not notice such a small difference in volume.

With 440 cc, supposedly you can work the ball a little better. But with HC of 26, I don't think that matters. I say don't worry about the volume, but just find a club that you can hit well and get the distance you are looking for.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

.... But with HC of 26, I don't think that matters....

I absolutely agree...I'm not too worried about shaping shots right now, I do want get a driver that I can stick to for a while...grow into it if you will.

I was just concerned that the reduction on cc's would decrease forgiveness in a noticeable manner....I still need quite a bit of forgiveness from my clubs! I really think that this club is better suited to me, that I currently have, and I can see where it can make an improvement into my game....not just hype! Thanks for the feedback folks!

I don't think it would matter. If I were you I would look at contact and figure out why your ball speed is low. With that swing speed your ball speed should be close to 140-145. I looked at that club while I was at the golf store. It is very nice looking and that shaft is nice. For 150 can't beat it.

Brian

Ok, so I bit the bullet!!!! I bought the r7 Limited. I ended getting the 9.5* with Reg shaft. I spent a god 45 minutes in the bay hitting balls, and after loosening up, I was posting these numers:

Ss: 93 Avg
BS: 136
Launch angle: 12* - 13.5*, a little low still, this is swing mechanics more than club
Spin: got it down to 4300 or so, but the tech @ golf galaxy told me that is normal when you are hitting with tape...it adds an additional 500rpm, so it would end up being around 3700....I can live with that....
Distance traveled was about 225, but again, due to the extra spin of the tape, you add 10% extra distance.....about 23 yards for a total Avg of 250.... I can certainlylive with that.

The best thing about this club is how well I can stay within 10 yards of center... Even my mishits were Petty good

I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow....ill update later

Just ran your current numbers thru the trajectory software and they look pretty good. You didn't mention the loft of your driver. I used 10* as the default and that means that you are swinging upward slightly at impact to help get the launch angle up even tho the shaft is helping somewhat.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

Thanks!

I actually went back to setting my tee about a 1/2" higher again. with the CBG Max, this was creating boomerangs (I wish you could call them slices), so I had to tee down.

As for the driver, it is a 9.5* Reg shaft. I played this weekend in 20mph winds, and eventhough this was the case, I had 8/14 drives on the fairway..this is a personal best. I know is not something to write home about, a certainly a step in the right direction. the other 6 were even split 3 left, and 3 right, and I think this was mostly due to wind. I think this driver setup is going to work very well for me, in just one outing i built so much confidence on the club, that I wasn't afraid to put it up agaist the wind. There people there teeing up with 4i, and hitting knock downs.......

BTW a bit unrelated....i hit my first succesful knockdown on Sunday...I was left of the fairway, under heavy branches, and about 230 yrds from the green.....I remebered Michael Breed ( I think...from the Golf Fix) talk about how to setup....and hit my 3h about 190, with a slight draw, that left em in front og the green....saved the hole, only double boggied ( I fumbled my pitches...2 to get on green, and 2 putt).

Again thaks for the info..just wondering how much does the 0.5* less left affect the numbers you simulated?

Thanks!

.5 degrees doesn't matter. You're talking inches to maybe a couple feet. Congrats on the good show! The main thing is that you found a club that fits your "feel". Anything you do from here on as far as experimenting with different driver heads and shafts won't gain you a significant amount of distance, say 10 yards or more. You may find thru experimenting with different club lengths that a shorter driver (44 1/2" or less) may work better for you. If the average pro length driver is 44 1/2" why are we being sold 45" drivers? I swing my 44", 10* drivers at 108mph (average) and can't control anything longer than that. I don't lose any swingspeed but gain a lot of accuracy.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

Note: This thread is 5173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!