IGNORED

Martin Kaymer - The Next Big Thing?

Sandy Sammy
Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I doubt he has the personality to somehow set the golfing world alight. That said he looks the part, seems to have the swing mechanics and appears unflappable. Somehow can't see the Tiger 'ego problems', the Mickelson course 'blow ups' (usually with the driver) or the Padraig 'bit of self doubt' getting in the way. More a question of the hunger to make it to the very top and stay there. Appears at the right age, with the right experience and in the right frame of mind to really put it together.

Obviously needs a couple of Majors and a number of American wins to really hit the big time.

But he's starting to put the results together, even in the Majors at the back end of last year he was not shabby at all. T6 in the PGA Championship and last year had significant wins, maybe a few more but had a foot problem.

Move over Rory and co, fast coming up on the rails, its Martin Kaymer.

I think he can be great if he stays away from the Go Karts.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

Is this a new thread? Seems very familiar.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

'I doubt he has the personality to set the golfing world alight'

I'm not sure that matters really.Tiger has the personality of a piece of plywood (Publicly at least), and he's the wealthiest and best know sports personality in the World.

Kaymer has ice in his veins.When he makes a mistake he just gets on with it, never shows any emotion.Good distance off the tee and a great, great putter.I'd fancy him to win a major in the next 3 years and expect a good showing from him in the Ryder Cup this year.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Kaymer looks really, really solid... Nice finish today at Abu Dhabi... Bombed his second shot to 18... It'll be interesting to see how much he plays in the U.S. besides The Masters, US Open, and PGA... Dude looks like he has the game to compete with anyone... And he's only 25

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

There was some youth represented at Abu Dabi this week. Martin Kaymer, Rory McIlroy and Chris Wood off the top of my head. All three are solid players that hopefully will make it over the pond.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like the way he plays and how he manage on the golf course. It's good to see him winning and having good results!

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

There was some youth represented at Abu Dabi this week. Martin Kaymer, Rory McIlroy and Chris Wood off the top of my head. All three are solid players that hopefully will make it over the pond.

I'm sure they will - to the Masters, US Open, PGA and the WGCs. McIlroy has joined the PGA Tour but the other two still seem to be focused on the European Tour - and long may it continue. As these three weeks show, The European Tour is capable of putting some pretty good fields together... And is used to being without TW.

Kaymer played very well this week. Kept his head and overcame some mediocre tee to green play with outstanding putting.

Kaymer seems to be the crop of the European players right now.
Back-to-back wins in July last year, then he injured himself at go-karts, a complete CLUB-switch from Titleist to TaylorMade....and as someone said earlier, he never gets fazed by anything .
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

His psyche seems to be very good, absolutely. His swing looks good and consistent, not any ticks which could blow up under pressure.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I doubt he has the personality to somehow set the golfing world alight

That's exactly the personality you need to be the best. He's pure German reliability and I couldn't agree more, he's going to be a big star.

In my Bag,

Putter: a two ball copy
SW: Titleist vokey
GW: Cleveland 52dg Irons: Ping eye 3, pw - 3 & a non descript 1 iron.Woods: King Cobra 5wDriver: Titleist 360 TIn my Hip flask: Scotch

What a "crisp" swing. Dude means business!!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Looks solid. I can see him winning 3-4 times on the European Tour this year. As far as majors goes.........who knows? How many times have we seen strong players come along that we thought for sure would win a major, but struggle? Not saying that will be his case but just not sure I see a major for him in the immediate future. Good potential though.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

... a number of American wins....

Why?

Move over Rory and co, fast coming up on the rails, its Martin Kaymer.

He's 25. From where Rory's standing, he's already an old man...

Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!