IGNORED

Looking for a new putter

Note: This thread is 5172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently have a odessy black series, (something like that) anyways. I'm looking for something that doesnt' come off the putter so hot. The greens i play on are fast, and when i hit the putter on the sweet spot it's gone. So i'm looking for something that's not so hot of the face. Any suggestions?

taylormade.gifR11 Driver
taylormade.gif3wood
taylormade.gif5wood
ping.gif20 degree hybrid
titleist.gif 5-Wscratch.gif SWodyssey.gif putter Srixon balls

Mizuno Bettinardi C series. I would really like to pick one of those up myself (C-01 or C-02). I currently game the black carbon series, which I like a lot.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

This weekend while trolling around one of the golf shops here in town I tried out a Ping Redwood Anser, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I felt solid yet still had a soft feel. The ball didn't jump off the face, yet it didn't feel mushy like you'd expect. It seemed like it'd be perfect for a faster green. Since most people don't really know about them or don't think they'd be anything all that special, you can probably get one for a pretty good deal.

Ping has always made a great putter. I still use my 1970s Mag Bronze Anser in my second bag.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

If you're looking to stick with Odyssey, I'd reccommend the Crimson Series 660. It's the one I use and I love it.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I knew the Cameron fan would jump in soon.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Well i went to golf galaxy, and hit some putters. I hit a putter with a fatter grip and i seemed to like it. So I thought I would spend 10$ on a fatter grip than what i had and give it a shot. I figured if it don't work out i only lost 10$ instead 200$.

taylormade.gifR11 Driver
taylormade.gif3wood
taylormade.gif5wood
ping.gif20 degree hybrid
titleist.gif 5-Wscratch.gif SWodyssey.gif putter Srixon balls

Been playing since the early 90's and been a putter ho most of this time. One of the softest I've used, even softer than the Odyssey models were some of the inserted models by PING. They made them in the classic Anser style as well as a large mallet head.

Wish I could help more. I'm out of the putter market. My wife and son gave me my mid-slant for my birthday 1.5 yrs ago and I've been smitten ever since. I love fast greens, too.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I never liked the black series Odysseys myself. But I've had a similar problem to you in the past, in that so many putters in the market do play quite hard. That said, I'm a big fan of the new stick I picked up in 2008 - the White Hot Tour #1. I find it vastly more comfortable to putt with on faster greens, and it plays fine on slower ones.

Aside from the club itself, as a point of technique that might help with your problem, another possible and common factor causing the ball to come off "hot" is that you could be striking the ball slightly low on the putter face. This is area of the face plays much harder and gives less feedback and feel. It's a simple matter of practicing keeping the putter as low as possible to the ground on take-away and through impact, using a higher part of the face which does play softer. Try it!

Try putting a piece of black electrical tape on the face. It's legal and slows the ball speed slightly. It's the cheapest fix and still legal. I did it with my Enterprise putter and the feel changed dramatically for the better.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

I'm also a big fan of the Odyssey White Hot Tour series. However, if the original poster currently has a black i series (with the insert, as opposed to the black series without the insert), then the tour version may not help. Based on what I have read, the tour version has the same insert as the black i series.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge 10*
Woods: Mizuno F-60 (15*, 18*); Hybrids: Callaway FT-iZ 21*, Callaway X 24*
Irons: Mizuno MX 25 (5I - GW)
Wedges: Mizuno MP T Chrome (56/10), MP T-10 Black Satin (60/8)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

• Administrator
Try putting a piece of black electrical tape on the face. It's legal and slows the ball speed slightly. It's the cheapest fix and still legal. I did it with my Enterprise putter and the feel changed dramatically for the better.

Pretty sure that's not legal, no.

Source: USGA Rule 4-2b 4-2. Playing Characteristics Changed and Foreign Material b. Foreign Material Foreign material must not be applied to the club face for the purpose of influencing the movement of the ball.

You can't put something on the clubface.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Electrical tape on the clubface......That was funny.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

And as an added benefit, the electrical tape may serve as a helpful insulator should your club be struck by lightning.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• Administrator
And as an added benefit, the electrical tape may serve as a helpful insulator should your club be struck by lightning.

Yeah, cuz even God can't hit a... oh wait, a putter? Never mind.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You could put the tape on the top of the club, where a sight line would be.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

and as an added benefit, the electrical tape may serve as a helpful insulator should your club be struck by lightning.

All I could think of after reading that was "RAT FARTS!!!!!!"

Note: This thread is 5172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!