IGNORED

VA Beach Courses

thenormankid
Note: This thread is 5190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys and gals, I've been playing golf for about 2 years now and given that the weather has been bad here I'm looking to talk to the fellow Va Beach golfers. I usually always play at Bow Creek and Kempsville golf course mainly for the price but I'm looking for some better quality courses without putting too big of a dent in my pockets. I've played Heron Ridge, Hell's Point and Red Wing but am I missing some thing? Courses like this are nice but should I walk them to make the price not as bad? Also what ranges do you work on your game at? Lets talk about it.

In My Ogio Octane Bag
DRIVER
SQ Dymo Str8-Fit 9.5 Stiff Flex
IRONS
CCi 3i-PW S400 ShaftsWEDGES 258.12° Vokey 252.08° VokeyFAIRWAY WOODS Burner 15° 3 Wood Stiff FlexPUTTER Classic 1 Putter

recently played the old TPC course there...now called VA Beach National - loved it. Nice layout, very fair with good level of difficulty. Also liked Red Wing to a lesser degree...

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played Hell's Point about 10 years ago and I loved it. It is a beautiful course. I like to walk whenever they allow walking. You can enjoy the scenery a lot more by walking. Besides, I play worse when I ride.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like I need to invest in a push cart and start walking more.

In My Ogio Octane Bag
DRIVER
IRONS
CCi 3i-PW S400 ShaftsWEDGES 258.12° Vokey 252.08° VokeyFAIRWAY WOODS Burner 15° 3 Wood Stiff FlexPUTTER Classic 1 Putter

If you can get on the military courses, Aeropines golf course at Oceana has two courses, the Hornet and Tomcat. The Hornet course is better than any of the Munis in VA Beach. I've also played Honey Bee on South Independence ave, very nice muni also Stumpy lake is not bad. The best course in the area in my opinion is Cahoon Plantation in Chesapeake. They use Bent grass fairways that stay green year round. I play it for under $40 dollars with the military discount.

I like Red Wing, Hell's Point, Cahoon Plantation in Chesapeake, and Bide-A-Wee over in Portsmouth. My favorite military course is Sewells Point in Norfolk. Two courses comparable to Owls Creek and Kempsville I think would be Ocean View or Lake Wright.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

I've played Lake Wright a few times and enjoyed it. It's a nice older course for the price but definitely could use some maintence. Honeybee is down the street from my house it's okay. I loved bid-a-wee golf course it's great. Always wanted to try cahoon have to put it on must play list.

In My Ogio Octane Bag
DRIVER
IRONS

Cahoon is pretty challenging, especially for a mid/high handicap.

In Virginia Beach, I've played the following with these thoughts:

Bow Creek - used to have a bad rep (used to be referred to as Bow Ditch), but they're brought it back to decent shape. I play there now and again with Mike in the pro shop. Short.
Broad Bay - Short course that stays in pretty good shape. There is a really nice hole that faces Great Neck Rd (14?). Private course that offers a nice range.
Hells Point - has gone downhill with the new owners. The only thing I liked about it was that there was no housing. Short.
Heron Ridge - I'm a member here and play there most of the time. I feel it has a little bit of everything and the price is reasonable with membership (except for the range). You may not like it as walking is a member privilege. Has a good mens golf association. There isn't much to the clubhouse. Good folks working there.
Honeybee - This has become a dog track. Too bad because I thought it offered some fun when I first started playing.
Kempsville Greens - Good price to practice. Short course. Greens were in rough shape when I played there last fall.
Lake Wright - Not the greatest, but good price for some practice. Fairly short.
Little Creek Eaglehaven - Great layout for a short course. Greens haven't been in the best shape. On military base..
Oceana Hornet - Great course for the money. Usually in good shape. On military base...
Oceana Tomcat - Good short course with small greens. Still good for the price. On military base....
Red Wing - It's a long course, but is kinda blase. Especially for the $50 they want to play there. Last time I played there, greens were in good shape. Very few sand traps and no elevation changes.
Signature at West Neck - Nice course with great greens. Very good facilities (GPS in cart, clubhouse, etc) as well.
Virginia Beach National (formerly TPC) - While not up to the TPC standards, it's still a nice place to play with VERY nice facilities (clubhouse with nice locker room). If they would let a weekend golf association grow there, I would probably join full-time here. I like that my membership at Heron Ridge has some benefit here. I pay associate member rate because of the commonality in management companies.

That's all I've played.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

Note: This thread is 5190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!