IGNORED

evolvr is Coming - Online Swing Analysis

iacas
Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Could you send out a "demo" analysis to show us what we'd be getting (and also demonstrate the proper camera positions, etc.)?

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Could you send out a "demo" analysis to show us what we'd be getting (and also demonstrate the proper camera positions, etc.)?

Camera positions will be covered in an article (they're pretty basic - down the line, face on, from hip height... and down the line should be between the ball and the stance line - there you go) on the site, and I think we'll have an example video. That's a good suggestion. Perhaps someone here can supply a couple of good high-speed swings for analysis? Whaddya say? Anyone? PM me if you're interested.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking forward to see how this works out. I would give you a video in 300fps, but all we have here now is snow...

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
I have digital camera with limited video capabilities. With this be sufficient to get the job done?

In some ways we're limited by the quality of the video we receive, but even a basic 30 FPS video can reveal certain things about a swing, and that capability has existed for years and years. Your camera's probably better than you think - the key is just recording swings in as much light as possible to get a higher shutter speed.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Guys - we need a video pronto. If you want basically a free analysis - a $70 to $80 value - get in touch with me ASAP. If we have multiple choices, great. We'll choose the best one (and "best" may not just be image quality).

Thanks - we are all set with a video for an example analysis - we will have something posted as soon as I have it done and you will get a great idea how evolvr will work and what kind of analysis you can expect when you sign up!

Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

Been doing some reading on fps. From what I've read, some video software and formats render the recorded video into fewer fps. For example, I've read that the AVI format only provides 15 fps. Some guidance on video software and video formats might be helpful. I've noticed that some video cameras only work with certain software, etc.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• Administrator
For example, I've read that the AVI format only provides 15 fps.

That's not true. It may have been spec when the thing was first introduced, but FPS isn't hard coded into AVI like that. The first two AVIs on my computer were 23.98 (24p) and 60 FPS (59.97).

Some guidance on video software and video formats might be helpful. I've noticed that some video cameras only work with certain software, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean... V1 can take pretty much anything. If a modern video camera shoots it, V1 can pretty much read it. And, worst case, QuickTime can read it and export it in a format V1 can read. We'll be able to take pretty much anything.

I was wrong, been reading about FPS/video cameras etc for the past couple of hours. The best fps I can do with my camera (3 years old) is 320 X 240 at 60 fps.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I'm wondering which is better. 512x384 @ 300FPS or 1920x1080 @ 60FPS.

Don't have any recordings at 60FPS, but I'll give it a try when the season arrives. 300 FPS sounds obvious, but most of the swing is not that fast, and we look most at body positions and club angles, which can be seen on a 60FPS too. The higher resolution makes details easier to see, but the higher fps shows you every part of the swing.

I think 512x384 works well enough. Good lighting is important to enhance the details. I've shot some videos of myself which are too dark and some in broad daylight. The latter gives much better results.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
I'm wondering which is better. 512x384 @ 300FPS or 1920x1080 @ 60FPS.

Part of the language from the site says:

- Get as high a frame rate as possible. - Shoot video in as well lit an area as possible. If you're a silhouette, it'll be tough to see parts of your swing. Also, more light = faster shutter speed and less blurring. - As long as the resolution is about 400 x 300 or more, it should be plenty. Always choose higher frame rates before higher resolution until you get near the 400 x 300 threshold.
I think 512x384 works well enough. Good lighting is important to enhance the details. I've shot some videos of myself which are too dark and some in broad daylight. The latter gives much better results.

You would be right. 512 x 384 is good. What camera, btw? One of the Casios?

Yep, the Casio EX-F1. I wanted a DSLR camera, but didn't find the courage to buy one. Then I saw this article about the EX-F1, sporting the high frame rates, and I was sold, perfect for filming my swing. It is not a DSLR, but is comparable in picture quality to one. The video specs of course way better.
I used a Sony video camera before, but it only had 30 fps. It is interesting to see the positions of the club during the downswing. Here is where good lighting is important. With it, you can see the angle of the clubface all the way, angle of the hips, wrist, etc.

It got 432x192 @ 600 fps too, but the difference from 300 is not too big, so the extra resolution is better.

just purchased a new kodak zx1 for under $90. The zx-1 is basically the sport version of the zi6. The only thing it doesn't have that the zi6 does-- macro mode (which you don't need for the golf swing)
The EX-F1 is an awesome camera--great for super slomo

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

I actually use the Casio EX-F1 for most of my instruction. I have the much smaller EX-FC100 as well and use it when I need something that doesn't take up a lot of space or want to shoot high speed indoors. Both are really great for golf (10 second timer delay is a nice feature when using high speed). I have used a Kodak from time to time as well and that did a very nice job with the 60 fps setting.

Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

As long as the resolution is about 400 x 300 or more, it should be plenty. Always choose higher frame rates before higher resolution until you get near the 400 x 300 threshold.

Rats, I had the option to purchase a Sanyo Xacti HD1000 cheaply (£100) second hand which can do 300fps at 448 x 336 for 10 seconds but turned it down and yesterday shelled out for a ZX1 for the 60 fps after a thread a while ago where I asked a very similar question...

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ng-Check/page2 "For swing analysis, the detail of HD is fine and 60 FPS is also fine. 300 FPS can be overkill, and the clarity gained by 720p video more than offsets the gains of 300 FPS over 60" I'm assuming although it isn't 300fps, the ZX1 will still be ok and more than good enough for this?

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

Dave - Can you give me a range of what the SnT day clinics runs? I'd like to do either one of the full day clinics or evolvr and wanted to compare prices.

Thanks

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!