IGNORED

How Do You Hit 170 Yards With 7 Iron?

Note: This thread is 1663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
especially for hard / fast greens pros play on unless they hit them very low to hit that far.

Pros launch the ball low, but to call them "hit very low" is a bit misleading. They hit the ball higher than almost anyone and with steeper landing angles.

I'm simply saying.. If you can hit your target, the club doesn't matter.. Long short.. Who cares..a better question I guess is why? Why do want to use a 7 iron to hit a 170 target? The answer is, whatever club hits the 170 yard target. It's different for almost everyone.

You completely missed my point.

If you are able to hit your target, it does not matter what club you use, or curve or anything used to consistently always hit your the target.

If I hit a low knock down smother punch draw with a 5 iron inside 10 ft every time to a screen 150 yds away, the club doesn't matter.. Or I step on a wedge into the same green.. All I want is the target... Whatever SHOT hits the target. Using the right shot with the right club to get the result.

You either hit your target, or you don't. Period.

And I think all @saevel25 was saying is that… you're more likely to hit that target with the shorter, higher lofted club (so long as you aren't swinging out of your shoes).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I certainly agree higher lofted clubs are easier to hit than lower lofted clubs. However isn't the premise of the original post basically, " how do I really step on a 7 iron and get 170 yards out of it?" Makes no sense to me. This is one of those topics I should have smiled and passed over...

I certainly agree higher lofted clubs are easier to hit than lower lofted clubs.

However isn't the premise of the original post basically, " how do I really step on a 7 iron and get 170 yards out of it?" Makes no sense to me.

This is one of those topics I should have smiled and passed over...

How do you hit 170 yards with 7 iron? Can you swing that fast with an iron?

He did not say, "how do I really step on a 7 iron". He said, "How do I hit 170 yards with 7 iron"

Big difference. I am not talking about taking someone who hits a 5 iron 170 and saying, take the 7 iron and swing very hard. When I read the OP's message I think, Ok what swing improvements can he do to improve his contact to maximize his distance. In the end some people can't hit a 7 iron 170.

In regard of not overswinging, being able to hit a 7 iron 170 is a huge advantage.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

He did not say, "how do I really step on a 7 iron". He said, "How do I hit 170 yards with 7 iron"

Big difference. I am not talking about taking someone who hits a 5 iron 170 and saying, take the 7 iron and swing very hard. When I read the OP's message I think, Ok what swing improvements can he do to improve his contact to maximize his distance. In the end some people can't hit a 7 iron 170.

In regard of not overswinging, being able to hit a 7 iron 170 is a huge advantage.

Im afraid im one of those poor souls who cant hit 7 iron 170. When my swing is on i have managed 160 on the odd occasion and while it is a huge advantage to hit each club as far as you can i think we often get too hung up on the whole max distance thing.

I used to be one of those that would stand on the tee and ask "what did you hit there?" and would then try and hit the same club and end up short. If you need more club than your opponent then there is no shame in it.

I think getting that distance is something that comes over time, partly from improved contact, swing mechanics etc. but body strength and overall fitness must have at least a small part to play?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 2 months later...

How do you hit 170 yards with 7 iron? Can you swing that fast with an iron?

Why would hitting a 7i 170 be too important?  If you can hit a 6i 170, why not just use the club that goes the distance you need ?  :)

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

If he needs another 10-15% more yardage, I recommend playing in elevated mountain courses.  Around Denver or higher.  That'll do most of it.

Bill - 

• 1 year later...

I see that this is an old post, and I'm going to take the OP at his word. How do you hit a 7 iron 170 yards? Have lots and lots of clubhead speed! Good grief, I saw pros at the Valero hit 6 irons from 215 this weekend!

I'm just guessing the OP didn't ask the question he really meant to.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

With Titleist AP1 I carry in average 170 with my 7 Iron if i draw it. With fade is more like 165 or even 160.
With irons is not about how long, it´s just about how close. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2015 at 11:48 PM, jjw39 said:

im 17 and my average 7 iron using my vr pro blades is around 195 in the air

This is very important information for us to learn. Thank you. You must be an extraordinarily talented and physically superior specimen. Congratulations! 

7 hours ago, johnknott7 said:

i am 16 and hit my 7 iron 180 yards!

Wow! How awesome are you!!!???

Below - Koepka's yardages.

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 6.58.13 am.png

Edited by leftybutnotPM

39 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

This is very important information for us to learn. Thank you. You must be an extraordinarily talented and physically superior specimen. Congratulations! 

Below - Koepka's yardages.

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 6.58.13 am.png

You sound a little salty, man. Some people hit the ball far. So what? Let those kids be proud of what they can do.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

You sound a little salty, man. Some people hit the ball far. So what? Let those kids be proud of what they can do.

Both first and only posts.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

I have a cousin who hits his 7 iron 200 yards.  Not impossible.  It comes from a mixture of athleticism, good clubhead speed, good impact position (forward lean in the shaft)  and good technique.  I personally am between 150 and 160 depending on how often I am playing.  On really good days when I am playing very regularly, 170 is possible, but I avoid stepping on the clubs too much.  I prefer smooth shots with a lower club if necessary.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I have a cousin who hits his 7 iron 200 yards.  Not impossible.  

Totally possible and almost totally irrelevant. My objection is that two first time posters (probably trolls who will never post again) somehow think that it is impressive that they can hit a certain club a certain distance. Let us know when you are on tour.

It's like Youtube videos where you see Rory hitting a 6 iron 240 yards and half the comments are things like "Lol, I can't even hit my  4 iron that far!"

Note: This thread is 1663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!