IGNORED

Golf League Scoring - how does your league work? Thoughts on this setup...

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have just been handed the reins of our golf league, which has been going for 4-5 years now, but nobody seems able to settle on a scoring format. We play 2-man teams, so each week you and your partner play an individual match against another team (lowest handicaps on each team are paired to reduce number of strokes given).

So I have been thinking of simplifying the scoring as follows:

2 points for each match (1 point to each team if halved)
1 point to the team with the lowest total team net

So 5 points available each week in matches.

Right now we have this crazy setup where it is:

1 pt for a hole won
0.5 pts per hole halved
2 points for winning the match
4 team points for lowest total team net

So 26 points between the two matches each week, which is confusing as hell.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Sorry, just bumping this if anyone can post up how their league scores. One other one I've run across is this:

Two guys per team, each plays their match and you get 1 point for your individual match plus 1 point for the net total between you and your partner, then there is one point for the team net. So a total of 5 points (1 match/1 medal per individual plus the 1 point for the team)

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

Funny you mention that, I've just been "appointed" president of my work league. We have 2 man teams like you, but it's not really 1 team "vs" another, they just happen to be playing together. We just add up pars, birdies, lowest score, and have events like longest drive, closest to the pin, etc.. Then at the end of the season we have a banquet and individual award prizes. So it's not that competitive, it's just more about having fun and being social.

Unless your league is super-competitive or something, that might be a good way to go.

I am in two leagues and run one of them. Both leagues award 1 point for each hole won (net), 1 point for total (net) & 1/2 point if either are tied. Total of ten points are awarded for each match which keeps everything clean and simple.

My Men's Club runs a fourball match tournament each year. Each hole is worth a possible 2 points. There is a point available for the net better ball of the 2 lowest opponents, and a point for the net better ball of the 2 higher opponents. Like this:

A and B are playing against C and D. First hole net scores - A makes 5, B makes 4, C makes 6, and D makes 4. B and D would be matched in this case as the 2 lowest scores, and A and C matched with the 2 higher scores. A's 5 wins one point against C's 6 and B and D halve the hole 4's, so the A-B team wins one point for the hole. If D had made 3, each team would score one point for the hole. You never have to mess with decimals or fractions.

This format keeps everyone in the game because each hole is in effect two separate matches... just the opponent may change depending on the score. We've been using this scoring system for many years, and it's always been a very popular event.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You and your season partner play against two other guys each week. Stroke play against each players HCP is how the matches are scored. It's a simple W or L.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

This is similar to what we did last year, but I don't think it fairly awards good low net rounds. Essentially your net score is only worth 1/10th of the match. Now, it is match play, and I think that is what should be emphasized, and but I also think that the team aspect should be given a little more credit than it has. I think we'll probably settle on my original proposal:

Each individual match is worth 2 points, then the low net team total is worth a point. That leaves 5 points out there and then fairly awards the team a slight bonus in the team net point if the matches are split.

The problem I have with scoring systems that bases it on 1 point a hole is that really isn't match play in the pure sense. But at least leaving in the team net point gives people incentive to keep playing if they get boat raced in the match.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

• 5 years later...

Late to the table again, as usual.  Was searching for partner injured prior to start of match and scoring format for single player vs two.  Got conflicting information last night that kind of upset play.

Normal 9 Hole Format - Two Man Play Points Awarded Based on Handicap Adjustment (11 points Total)

1 per hole (1/2 per split)

1 for Total Score

1 for Most Holes Won

CTP 3 Par's

Play Individually...against two.   Give missing partner triples across the card or single player assumes actual adjusted score carded for partner also to help determine outcome of match.   Late in the season, first place team against the forth place team.

I play in 2 leagues and the formats they use are as follows:

League 1 - 2 man Better Ball (net)

1 point per match total

Win more holes and you get 1 total point

Tie the match get 0.5 points

Lose get 0 Points

League 2 - 2 man Better Ball (net)

1 point per hole

1 point if you win the hole

0.5 if you tie

0 if you lose the hole

1 additional point at end of round

Team with most points gets 1 point

Ties get 0.5 points

Lose get 0 points

I much prefer the 2nd league format as each hole is a new match and every single hole counts.

Match play with each team having 2 players. 1 point per hole and 1 point total. Ties = half point. All scores taken with a grain of salt since people like to play "winter rules" aka cheat.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Match play with each team having 2 players. 1 point per hole and 1 point total. Ties = half point. All scores taken with a grain of salt since people like to play "winter rules" aka cheat.

Oh, don't get me started on cheaters. I thought they were only here. I don't mind a fairway roll the ball provision as much as I dislike hitting from OB.

Oh, don't get me started on cheaters. I thought they were only here. I don't mind a fairway roll the ball provision as much as I dislike hitting from OB.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

The league I'm in works just like your 26 point system. I like that system.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• 2 weeks later...
A quick question. Gat a call to let a team chasing us play sometime alone this week instead of tonight. Found out second time. Three weeks left before playoffs. I'm pretty liberal with guys doing things except hitting OB because they still must make the shots but want to be fair to the guys chasing them. We are locked in at 3rd place. Well?? Just thinking out loud.

1) one week it's medal play

2) next week it's medal play even holes

3) next week it's medal play odd holes

4) next week it's throw out your worst hole

5) there's always a prize for low gross and low net within each competition

6) there's a match elimination tournament in June.

Each of 1 - 4 is flighted.

Club championship is low gross. The low net is flighted.

Play RoG & local rules. Preferred lies until June 1 and after September 1 (local rule).

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Just a follow up to the earlier post. Letting them play solo after informing head pro and played our match solo--stroke play. No gimmie's, witnessed by trail golfer. Think we'll be fine but let's see when scores are posted!

Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!