IGNORED

Would You?

Mrd19abhs
Note: This thread is 5143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would you turn in the club to the pro shop if you found a lost club on the course?

• Yes
    • No

Honestly, no.

Giving your motivation the benefit of the doubt, I can sympathize: You're willing to give it back to its rightful owner, but you want to keep the club if no one comes looking for it. But that's a bad way of going at it, consider:

* Multiple people staff the course. * If you called in before the owner came looking, there's no chance of your method working. * People usually just check the lost-and-found, they rarely leave a "if club X is found, contact me at ____". * Unless you called and spoke to the same person who fielded the request from the owner, they aren't going to know if the owner came in. Not everyone hears every lost request. * Even if you spoke to the same person, unless the owner left contact info, the best you can do is hope the owner comes back again. So unless you call after the owner went in and only if the owner left contact info or checked in multiple times could your method work. You're making it very difficult for the owner to find the club. I don't know how most courses do their lost-and-found, but at the public courses I've been at, usually there's just a bucket of found clubs. If you lose one, they let you look through the bucket. Your method would likely require at least one note be made, and that it always be remembered when someone checks. I'd just put a sticker with the date on the club, give it to the staff, and ask if you can pick it up in two weeks if the owner doesn't come looking for it.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf is a game of integrity and honesty. Anyone that finds a club and does not return it should not be considered a "true" golfer. Hey your only allowed 14 clubs, and stealing another is not only a penalty in golf, but you then have a club you have to get used to all over again. Just return the things.

My arsenal

Bag- SQ Tour Stand Bag
Driver- Tour Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood- SQ Dymo 15* Stiff5 Wood- SQ Dymo 19* StiffIrons (3-PW)- Tour Preferred StiffWedges- 56.11* and 60.07*Putter- Method 003 34 Inches

seriously kid? for all intents and purposes, that is thievery. do you realize how much better the world would be without thieves? what's the harm in taking it to the pro shop? perhaps that club was a memoir given to them by someone special. maybe the putter, or wedge belonged to a passed loved one. you never know. take it from someone who's had a car radio, a 3 wood, a wedge, and golf shoes stolen in the past year. i wonder what your folks would have to say about that. i guarantee you'll change that attitude once you've had something stolen from you that you paid your own good money to buy. at least i hope it will, for your sake.

Screw you. It's because of pricks like you that my wedge was stolen!

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

i think you should,

Yes it is, but apparently not eveyone who plays the game is a gentleman.

I was going to say that I'm astounded that a simple thread about honesty and integrity would generate so many responses and a lot of countering opinions - it seems a number of posters feel that it may not be illegal, but they don't seem to understand the issue of it being unethical. But then I thought about it a little more. In the US, about 0.5% of our population are incarcerated for various crimes. If one assumed that only 1/2 of people were caught, this would be rate of about 1% criminals in the population. If golf is a cross section of life, I guess we can't all expect that all of our fellow golfers live by a decent code of integrity. Pity, because the honor in the game itself is part of its charm.

Karma my friend....... it could be why you are still a 20+ Hcp.

Or it could be because I've been playing for 9 months...

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Yipes. So much anger about a 16 yr old saying what he said (it's been repeated too many times).

Is it not better to try to understand someone's perspective and then suggest or explain ethics.

Too many people are throwing stones and that's no way to give advice.

Is there a psychologist in the house?????????
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

Screw you. It's because of pricks like you that my wedge was stolen!

umm... what the hell are you talking about? in what world are ''pricks like me'' responsible for your stolen wedge? i'm advocating for people to return them. maybe you need to re read before spouting off. or at least give some sort of context so i can rebut.

I'm a thief. If I find a club, I'm gonna keep it. Don't leave your clubs. I will find them. I will keep them.

Yeesh!
umm... what the hell are you talking about? in what world are ''pricks like me'' responsible for your stolen wedge? i'm advocating for people to return them. maybe you need to re read before spouting off. or at least give some sort of context so i can rebut.

He was talking to this prick right here. I think he misquoted or something.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

When I was about 21 I played an early round at an upscale course. When jumping in the cart I found a Rolex that was left there from the previous day. I turned it into the pro shop, and for all I know the golf pro has a nice watch now. But, I couldn't have worn that watch with a good conscience, knowing it likely meant a lot to its owner.

I always turn in lost golf clubs too. But, have not been so lucky on the flip side.

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

I'm a thief. If I find a club, I'm gonna keep it. Don't leave your clubs. I will find them. I will keep them.

Come on now young fella. You are 16 and I think with time you will see what we are all saying. Finders keepers loosers weepers just does not work on a golf course. If you left your Oddyssey putter on the green you'd be pissed if you didn't get it back and relieved if it was returned. Clubs are not cheap and a lot people don't have the money to replace a club the next day. Hope you rethink your position on this in the near future.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

In fact, I am dropping by a local country club tomorrow morning to return a club I picked up at a Goodwill store and called the phone number on the name tag to confirm that it was dropped off there intentionally. Turns out it hadn't been.

In my bag:
Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5 degree driver

Cobra sz hyper steel 3 wood
A7 19 degree hybrid
Taylormade 2008 TP irons 4 through pw

Mizuno JPX 52, 56, 60 degree wedges

White hot XG #9 putter

[QUOTE=murphmjm;421156]if it wasn't a golf club say a $10 bill with no idetifying marks as to ownership would you run around asking folks if they lost $10?[QUOTE]

Personally, I'd turn it in. 10 bucks isn't worth a guilty conscience.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Wow, I bet your parents are so proud.

I'm curious - instead of being so indignant and defensive, why don't you look at this as a learning moment? I presume that you're interested in learning about the golf swing, and hopefully you've learned some of the on-course etiquette such as fixing ball marks. Someone has likely taught you these and you listened and learned. So why not listen and learn now? The game of golf has a lot of complexity, and learning about these different facets is one reason it is a game that you will keep you interested for the rest of your life. And throughout the history of the game there has been one consistency - it is a game of integrity and honor. There is no other sport where the competitors call fouls on themselves. You probably don't go out busting into cars and stealing the sound systems, or ripping stuff off out of stores, so let's assume you're not really a thief at heart. So here you have a whole lot of people trying to help teach you one of the biggest parts of the game of golf - integrity. And if you learn that lesson, it is a skill that will produce wonders for you in your future career and life. Listen. Learn. Embrace the whole game of golf, not just little pieces.

you'd turn in 10 dollars?

Nobody would claim it and the pro-shop would just put it in their cash register.....

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Im assuming DaSportsGuy is only joking about being a thief, he's not taking this seriously. I very seldom leave my clubs where i cant see them when im on the course and mine arent even expensive clubs but I like them and have gotten used to hitting them. I hate to think people are dishonest, especially on the golf course but some are. Its best to be cautious about people you dont know. Most of the people ive met playing golf are descent people. DaSportsGuy being only 16 many already assume the worst because of your age, fair or not even if your comments arent meant to be taken seriously. As far as finding money, ive never found more than a one dollar bill in my life, im lucky to find a quarter. Most people dont carry money anymore as debit and credit cards have replaced cash.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

you'd turn in 10 dollars?

Yeah, it's not mine so I turn it in. I don't need ten bucks and maybe the person that dropped it does. It would just make me feel better, even if nobody claims it. I'd turn in a $10 headcover if I found it, also.

I turned in a grubby old Titleist hat yesterday and that thing couldn't have been worth a buck!

my bad. i stupidly clicked on your quote instead of dasportsguy. I spose that makes me the prick?

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!